Old 12-08-2007, 04:44 PM
"Edgars Šmits"

Default Amarok corrupting iPod db?

This may not be a specific Ubuntu issue, but I thought I'd try here
first. I'm running Gutsy, but the same problem happened a few times
with Feisty too as I recall.

I manage my iPod through Amarok, usually with no issues, however at
least 4 times over the last year after disconnecting m y iPod from
within Amarok, then unmounting it in Ubuntu, I discover that my iPod
shows no contents at all - all music/podcasts etc are MIA. When I
connect it back up Amarok tells me I have 2 GB worth of orphaned
files, and as far as I can tell the only fix is to re-initialize the
iPod using iTunes in XP, a real pain at this point when I have
eliminated XP from all of my family machines...

Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions from within Ubuntu? I
really like Amarok, the only KDE app I use, and would prefer not to
have to start using another app, but will do so if that's the only
solution. I'll also start searching elsewhere, but this group quite
often has the answers even when the problem isn't really Ubuntu
related.

Cheers

ED

Old 12-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Felipe Figueiredo

Em Saturday 08 December 2007 15:44:15 Edgars ┼*mits escreveu:
> This may not be a specific Ubuntu issue, but I thought I'd try here
> first. I'm running Gutsy, but the same problem happened a few times
> with Feisty too as I recall.
>
> I manage my iPod through Amarok, usually with no issues, however at
> least 4 times over the last year after disconnecting m y iPod from
> within Amarok, then unmounting it in Ubuntu, I discover that my iPod
> shows no contents at all - all music/podcasts etc are MIA. When I
> connect it back up Amarok tells me I have 2 GB worth of orphaned
> files, and as far as I can tell the only fix is to re-initialize the
> iPod using iTunes in XP, a real pain at this point when I have
> eliminated XP from all of my family machines...
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions from within Ubuntu? I
> really like Amarok, the only KDE app I use, and would prefer not to
> have to start using another app, but will do so if that's the only
> solution. I'll also start searching elsewhere, but this group quite
> often has the answers even when the problem isn't really Ubuntu
> related.

I second that. I have in my hands both a 3rd generation nano and an ipod touch
to make them work in the respective's owners ubuntus. The following link
appeared here last week, but I haven't had the time tp try it yet:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4759661C.9090706%40chch.ox.a c.uk&forum_name=gtkpod-devel
http://gtkpod.wikispaces.com/Sysinfo+File#ClassicNano3g

If you could test and report back, I would be most grateful.

FF