-   -   Internet Explorer (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/15264-internet-explorer.html)

Willis 12-08-2007 03:20 PM

Internet Explorer

In my research I have found that to use the esword-Ubuntu program I must
have the Internet Explorer installed for the program to work. I have it
installed in my root account and I thought that would be all I needed.
I can install esword to my root account and it works perfectly, but it
will not install to my user account. I have forgotten what I did to
install it and I would appreciate some help. I can find the program but
I did not take notes on the installation and cannot get it installed to
my user account.

Thank you in advance.

James Takac 12-08-2007 09:54 PM

Internet Explorer

On Sunday 09 December 2007 02:20:58 Willis wrote:
> In my research I have found that to use the esword-Ubuntu program I must
> have the Internet Explorer installed for the program to work. I have it
> installed in my root account and I thought that would be all I needed.
> I can install esword to my root account and it works perfectly, but it
> will not install to my user account. I have forgotten what I did to
> install it and I would appreciate some help. I can find the program but
> I did not take notes on the installation and cannot get it installed to
> my user account.
>
> Thank you in advance.

Hi Willis

I don't think it needs IE installed but can't say for sure. I take it you're
installing esword from the deb file? Maybe the problem is that you're
installing it to your root account and not on a normal (everyday user)
account?

As for IE, again not to the root account but your normal user account. You can
get it at

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

James

Willis 12-09-2007 01:55 AM

Internet Explorer

James Takac wrote:
> On Sunday 09 December 2007 02:20:58 Willis wrote:
>
>> In my research I have found that to use the esword-Ubuntu program I must
>> have the Internet Explorer installed for the program to work. I have it
>> installed in my root account and I thought that would be all I needed.
>> I can install esword to my root account and it works perfectly, but it
>> will not install to my user account. I have forgotten what I did to
>> install it and I would appreciate some help. I can find the program but
>> I did not take notes on the installation and cannot get it installed to
>> my user account.
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>

> Hi Willis
>
> I don't think it needs IE installed but can't say for sure. I take it you're
> installing esword from the deb file? Maybe the problem is that you're
> installing it to your root account and not on a normal (everyday user)
> account?
>
> As for IE, again not to the root account but your normal user account. You can
> get it at
>
> http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page
>
> James

thanks for the input James but hat I have done last was to do a complete
install of e_Sword and then from the user account I downloaded the 1.7
or latest version and then I installed it from this login.The program
went through just like every time before but still did not work.

Having checked both logins and confirmed that there was no e-Sword
before the last install, I changed users to the root and sure enough
there it was once more in the root and it works as smooth as glass.

The short Launchers appear in the Accessories of both the user and the
root accounts. I believe that if I can learn how to direct the launcher
in the user account to the same .exe file as the one in the root, I
believe I can make it work from both sides.

James Takac 12-09-2007 10:26 PM

Internet Explorer

On Sunday 09 December 2007 12:55:34 Willis wrote:
> James Takac wrote:
> > On Sunday 09 December 2007 02:20:58 Willis wrote:
> >> In my research I have found that to use the esword-Ubuntu program I must
> >> have the Internet Explorer installed for the program to work. I have it
> >> installed in my root account and I thought that would be all I needed.
> >> I can install esword to my root account and it works perfectly, but it
> >> will not install to my user account. I have forgotten what I did to
> >> install it and I would appreciate some help. I can find the program but
> >> I did not take notes on the installation and cannot get it installed to
> >> my user account.
> >>
> >> Thank you in advance.
> >
> > Hi Willis
> >
> > I don't think it needs IE installed but can't say for sure. I take it
> > you're installing esword from the deb file? Maybe the problem is that
> > you're installing it to your root account and not on a normal (everyday
> > user) account?
> >
> > As for IE, again not to the root account but your normal user account.
> > You can get it at
> >
> > http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page
> >
> > James
>
> thanks for the input James but hat I have done last was to do a complete
> install of e_Sword and then from the user account I downloaded the 1.7
> or latest version and then I installed it from this login.The program
> went through just like every time before but still did not work.
>
> Having checked both logins and confirmed that there was no e-Sword
> before the last install, I changed users to the root and sure enough
> there it was once more in the root and it works as smooth as glass.
>
> The short Launchers appear in the Accessories of both the user and the
> root accounts. I believe that if I can learn how to direct the launcher
> in the user account to the same .exe file as the one in the root, I
> believe I can make it work from both sides.

Hi Willis

Does the 1.6 version do the same to you. Maybe the later version has some
probs?

James

Derek Broughton 12-10-2007 01:20 PM

Internet Explorer

Willis wrote:

> In my research I have found that to use the esword-Ubuntu program I must
> have the Internet Explorer installed for the program to work.

That really should be obsolete. It used to be necessary for many programs
using a browser under Wine to need IE. Now, if you install Wine fresh, the
first request to use IE will cause Wine to install a gecko plugin that
looks like IE, and works for everything I've needed so far.
--
derek

"Karl F. Larsen" 01-03-2009 01:26 PM

Internet Explorer

Here on Ubuntu Hardy I discovered Google has a Calorie Counter that
runs on Google and it does. But when I try to save the basic data it
fails with Firefox putting up panels that simply freeze the browser up!
I have to delete Firefox to recover.

This morning I turned on my laptop with Vista running and did the
same Calorie Counter on Internet Explorer and it worked perfect. Does
this sound familiar?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Manish Sinha 01-03-2009 02:07 PM

Internet Explorer

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Here on Ubuntu Hardy I discovered Google has a Calorie Counter that
> runs on Google and it does. But when I try to save the basic data it
> fails with Firefox putting up panels that simply freeze the browser up!
> I have to delete Firefox to recover.

Delete firefox? You meant Force Quit? Or did you uninstall the app itself?
> This morning I turned on my laptop with Vista running and did the
> same Calorie Counter on Internet Explorer and it worked perfect. Does
> this sound familiar
Can you enlighten us with the Calorie Meter with its URL?

--
Manish Sinha

Personal Blog: http://www.manishsinha.info
Tech Blog: http://manishtech.wordpress.com
OpenPGP Key: 99E6658F

"Dotan Cohen" 01-03-2009 02:17 PM

Internet Explorer

2009/1/3 Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>:
> Here on Ubuntu Hardy I discovered Google has a Calorie Counter that
> runs on Google and it does. But when I try to save the basic data it
> fails with Firefox putting up panels that simply freeze the browser up!
> I have to delete Firefox to recover.
>
> This morning I turned on my laptop with Vista running and did the
> same Calorie Counter on Internet Explorer and it worked perfect. Does
> this sound familiar?

Please test on a clean Firefox profile and if the issue persists then
provide a link. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

"Karl F. Larsen" 01-03-2009 02:36 PM

Internet Explorer

Manish Sinha wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> Here on Ubuntu Hardy I discovered Google has a Calorie Counter that
>> runs on Google and it does. But when I try to save the basic data it
>> fails with Firefox putting up panels that simply freeze the browser up!
>> I have to delete Firefox to recover.
>>

> Delete firefox? You meant Force Quit? Or did you uninstall the app itself?

I had to Force Quit.
>> This morning I turned on my laptop with Vista running and did the
>> same Calorie Counter on Internet Explorer and it worked perfect. Does
>> this sound familiar
>>
> Can you enlighten us with the Calorie Meter with its URL?

Yes in Google ask for Calorie Counter and choose the first page shown.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

"Tab Gilbert" 01-03-2009 03:22 PM

Internet Explorer

** Yes in Google ask for Calorie Counter and choose the first page shown.

Karl

That should be iGoogle should it not?* I added the Calorie Counter to the iGoogle page and now I can not delete it.* There appears to be no save button.* Delete, refresh and it pops back up again.* I can add but I can not delete.* It is not a new problem either.* One of the reasons I ignored iGoogle after playing with it a few months ago.* Same problem then and same problem now.

tab