Old 12-08-2007, 02:51 PM
"drew einhorn"

Default HP Laserjet 2100

My old printer died, picked a cheap used Laserjet 2100.

Hooked it up to a dapper system (soon to be upgraded).

This version of the 2100 does not do postscript.

Tried all the print drivers.

The recommended pxlmono driver works best, think it's
a little faster, and has slightly better print quality.

The problem with the test page with all the drivers, is
the top margin is too wide and the bottom of the page
is cut off.

I am using US letter size paper and sending letter size
test pages.

--
Drew Einhorn

Old 12-09-2007, 01:08 AM
"glenn opdycke-hansen"

I have the 2100 printer.* I agree that the driver selection is a challenge.* I had used the hpijs drivers.* Now the printer is attached to a winxp pc.

--glenn

Old 12-09-2007, 03:10 AM
Peter Garrett

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 08:51:01 -0700
"drew einhorn" <drew.einhorn@gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem with the test page with all the drivers, is
> the top margin is too wide and the bottom of the page
> is cut off.
>
> I am using US letter size paper and sending letter size
> test pages.

Just a guess...

What does

cat /etc/papersize

say?

If I remember correctly, US Letter paper is shorter than A4
I'm using A4 paper, and /etc/papersize says " a4 " as expected.

--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 12-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Dax Solomon Umaming

Old 12-11-2007, 09:51 PM
"drew einhorn"

Picked up a jet direct card and a lot of problems with the printer
went away.

Now I'm left with just one. Sometimes it prints at a reasonable
speed nearly as fast as it can move the paper. Sometimes it's
painfully slow, a minute or so per page.

Will adding a memory upgrade help? If the printer doesn't have
enough memory for a page will it just fail, or will it just take a lot
longer? Mine has the base 4MB, there are three slots that take
16MB modules for a max of 52MB. Can get a module with a
postscript interpreter instead of one of the 16MB modules.

May just need to get another printer with a faster processor.

But assuming I hang on to this one, would it be better to have:

postscript and 36MB ram, or
no postscript and 52MB ram.

On Dec 9, 2007 8:06 AM, Dax Solomon Umaming <knightlust@ubuntu.com> wrote:

Drew Einhorn