-   -   Wireless Question (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/1515-wireless-question.html)

"User Iam" 11-20-2007 05:52 PM

Wireless Question

HI

Setting up my wireless....

Have a couple of questions...

What I am doing is connecting two machines via wireless...

MY DSL comes in on my Cisco DSL box..

I want to connect my computer in the other room to this computer...

I bought two G routers...

Have connected one G router to my Cisco DSL box..

And the other G router to my remote < 10 feet away> computer...

< I could have ran a cable but, wanted the G experience>

My Question...

I couldn't web configure either box until I changed my IP on the
configuring box..

In other words..

ON the box connected to the Cisco DSL router... My browser would not
go there till I changed my IP to 192.168.2.2 < the web config
interface on G box is 192.168.2.1

On the remote box I have to change ip to 192.168.0.2.. <web interface
on d-link g box is 192.168.0.1>

I had been using <still am > the 10.x.x.x on all my boxes.. with gate
way of 10.0.0.1......

Why did I have to change ips on box to browse G boxes..???????

I have both boxes set to channel 6... No password.. They don't see
each other....

Or I can't ping form one box to the other.... So I assume they can't
see each other..

<I have changed the IP back to 10.x.x.x.

TIA

User Iam

Christian Csar 11-20-2007 06:23 PM

Wireless Question

So your current configuration has your Cisco DSL Modem connected with an
Ethernet cord to wireless router number 1, then you have wireless router
2 approximately 10 feet away connected via an Ethernet cord to your
computer?

And you want to wireless router 1 to connect to wireless router 2 via
wireless?

If you want your computer to be able to access the internet through your
DSL connection via wireless, then you should only need a wireless card
in your computer which can then connect via wireless to router 1.

Your routers probably are attempting to assign ip addresses via DHCP in
the 192.168.0.x and 192.168.2.x ranges. For security reasons the default
setting on the router is most likely to deny access to the router setup
page unless it is from an ip address in the range it assigns. You could
probably change the settings in NetworkManager to be automatically
assigned an ip using DHCP, in general a static IP would have been
assigned to you by your ISP.

I do not know how, or if it is possible for wireless router 2 to get
internet access via router 1. But it is unlikely to be the best
solution. If your computer is a desktop, then you will probably get the
best connection by simply running a cord from either your modem, or
router 1 to your computer, as wireless is in general less reliable.

Christian

"User Iam" 11-20-2007 07:16 PM

Wireless Question

On Nov 20, 2007 11:23 AM, Christian Csar <cacsar@gmail.com> wrote:
> So your current configuration has your Cisco DSL Modem connected with an
> Ethernet cord to wireless router number 1, then you have wireless router
> 2 approximately 10 feet away connected via an Ethernet cord to your
> computer?
>
> And you want to wireless router 1 to connect to wireless router 2 via
> wireless?
>
> If you want your computer to be able to access the internet through your
> DSL connection via wireless, then you should only need a wireless card
> in your computer which can then connect via wireless to router 1.
>
> Your routers probably are attempting to assign ip addresses via DHCP in
> the 192.168.0.x and 192.168.2.x ranges. For security reasons the default
> setting on the router is most likely to deny access to the router setup
> page unless it is from an ip address in the range it assigns. You could
> probably change the settings in NetworkManager to be automatically
> assigned an ip using DHCP, in general a static IP would have been
> assigned to you by your ISP.
>
> I do not know how, or if it is possible for wireless router 2 to get
> internet access via router 1. But it is unlikely to be the best
> solution. If your computer is a desktop, then you will probably get the
> best connection by simply running a cord from either your modem, or
> router 1 to your computer, as wireless is in general less reliable.
>
> Christian

Thanks for the reply...

I realize that two wireless routers is one more then I really need.

But, I already had a nic card in computer #2...

I am still struggling why the two routers can't see each other...

Thanks again

User Iam