Old 12-08-2007, 07:09 AM
Mario Vukelic

Default Lotus Notes (4.5 perhaps newer) as standalone mailer with Ubuntu 7.10 & ff ???

On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 08:24 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> Would love competent advice and guidance to get it done
> without loosing my existing stuff and continuing seamless !!

If you have lots of stuff in Notes which you don't want to lose, then
your best bet is probably switching to Notes 8, which runs on Linux
(Notes 8 is a Java application). You'd be set then.

Other options:

Notes 6.5.1+ runs under Wine (though not flawlessly), at least the
commercial version from Codeweavers:
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=158

If you want to switch to a native Linux client I guess it depends what
parts of Notes you use. E.g., AFAIK Notes can export your personal
address book to a *.csv file, and Evolution can import those.

Email is another matter, I don't think Notes can export it, and the
files have a proprietary format. If you already have an IMAP server then
you are set, just leave the mail there and point your new email client
(Evolution, Thunderbird, ...) to it. If you don't have one, it might be
best to set one up and copy your Notes email within Notes to the IMAP
server.

I don't know how to migrate Notes databases and the like.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:50 PM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 09:09 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 08:24 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> > Would love competent advice and guidance to get it done
> > without loosing my existing stuff and continuing seamless !!
>
> If you have lots of stuff in Notes which you don't want to lose, then
> your best bet is probably switching to Notes 8, which runs on Linux
> (Notes 8 is a Java application). You'd be set then.
>
> Other options:
>
> Notes 6.5.1+ runs under Wine (though not flawlessly), at least the
> commercial version from Codeweavers:
> http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=158
>
> If you want to switch to a native Linux client I guess it depends what
> parts of Notes you use. E.g., AFAIK Notes can export your personal
> address book to a *.csv file, and Evolution can import those.
>
> Email is another matter, I don't think Notes can export it, and the
> files have a proprietary format. If you already have an IMAP server then
> you are set, just leave the mail there and point your new email client
> (Evolution, Thunderbird, ...) to it. If you don't have one, it might be
> best to set one up and copy your Notes email within Notes to the IMAP
> server.
>
> I don't know how to migrate Notes databases and the like.

Hi Mario
Thanks for your reply !

My intention is changing from native Lotus Notes 4.57h for OS/2 to a
native Linux Notes release avoiding a non native solution, like you
mentioned, wine or similar !?

Currently I am playing with Evolution find it quite nice and somewhat
similar I am used in Notes already ...
... but past 10 years have filled my old thinktank and I try not to lose
it!?

The proprietary of Notes NSF files isn't that bad: Till now I was able
acess from different OS's too ;-)

Well, the difficulty may more be: How is recognition from very old 4.5x
to the present newer releases ???

Being well prepared I would give a try with a backup from the existing
one ;-))

Hope to get more definite feedback soon !?

Cheers, svobi

Old 12-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 21:50 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> My intention is changing from native Lotus Notes 4.57h for OS/2 to a
> native Linux Notes release avoiding a non native solution, like you
> mentioned, wine or similar !?

Notes 8 runs as native on Linux as it does anywhere else -- it's
Java-based.

> The proprietary of Notes NSF files isn't that bad: Till now I was able
> to acess from different OS's too ;-)

Aha, I didn't know that

> Well, the difficulty may more be: How is recognition from very old 4.5x
> to the present newer releases ???

I don't know. The company I am working for is currently preparing a
switch from Notes 4.6 (IIRC) to 8, but we are not there yet. Since I am
not involved in the preparations, I have no clue.

But IBM needs a rock-solid upgrade path for all those corporate Notes
installations, so I would figure they provide one. The IBM page I linked
to should give you a place to start investigation

Old 12-10-2007, 07:44 PM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 19:46 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 21:50 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> > My intention is changing from native Lotus Notes 4.57h for OS/2 to a
> > native Linux Notes release avoiding a non native solution, like you
> > mentioned, wine or similar !?
>
> Notes 8 runs as native on Linux as it does anywhere else -- it's
> Java-based.
>
> > The proprietary of Notes NSF files isn't that bad: Till now I was able
> > to acess from different OS's too ;-)
>
> Aha, I didn't know that
>
> > Well, the difficulty may more be: How is recognition from very old 4.5x
> > to the present newer releases ???
>
> I don't know. The company I am working for is currently preparing a
> switch from Notes 4.6 (IIRC) to 8, but we are not there yet. Since I am
> not involved in the preparations, I have no clue.
>
> But IBM needs a rock-solid upgrade path for all those corporate Notes
> installations, so I would figure they provide one. The IBM page I linked
> to should give you a place to start investigation

Hi Mario
Thanks again for your feedback and concerns !

Well, I already tried a download of Lotus Notes 8 (Trial) and its
449MB !?
Well, it has become a very big piece !!

I also investigated and researched in their forums:
The results do not sound very well regarding Ubuntu !
They, IBM, tends more to Redhat & SUSE's Linux's !!

Looks like i / we have to wait a little longer before we get it done
properly !?
I will keep an eye on it and switch asap !!!

Cheers, svobi

Old 12-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 04:44 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> Well, I already tried a download of Lotus Notes 8 (Trial) and its
> 449MB !?

4.x versions weren't light on resources either

> I also investigated and researched in their forums:
> The results do not sound very well regarding Ubuntu !
> They, IBM, tends more to Redhat & SUSE's Linux's !!

Did people relate any experiences of failure on Ubuntu, or where there
specific reasons given why it wouldn't work on Ubuntu? Otherwise I'd
assume it works, they just _support only RH and Suse. You could also ask
IBM about Ubuntu support, at least you'd let them know that there are
interested people .

Old 12-11-2007, 02:02 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

TQ for your feedback !
Answered into your text below:

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 22:00 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 04:44 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> > Well, I already tried a download of Lotus Notes 8 (Trial) and its
> > 449MB !?
>
> 4.x versions weren't light on resources either

YEAH, all is relative !
At their time they were bigger than everting too !!
But are worth best: More than 10 years troubleless duty
even serving as (very special non Domino connected)
stand alone PIM, not alone mailer only, under OS/2 Warp !!!

Well, a bit oversized for a one man show but genial ;-))

> > I also investigated and researched in their forums:
> > The results do not sound very well regarding Ubuntu !
> > They, IBM, tends more to Redhat & SUSE's Linux's !!

IBM still seats on a high horse back and
strongly tend to business products only !

May be Ubuntu needs some more users and
power to be noticed by this giant enterprise !?

> Did people relate any experiences of failure on Ubuntu, or where there
> specific reasons given why it wouldn't work on Ubuntu? Otherwise I'd
> assume it works, they just _support only RH and Suse. You could also ask
> IBM about Ubuntu support, at least you'd let them know that there are
> interested people .

Well, I have one more reason not to stick to this now:
As an Ubuntu greenhorn on my first Ubuntu 7.10 installation since
October 2007
I am still silently experimenting with my new OS !
My plans after getting more familiar to reinstall Ubuntu somewhat
better
than the present single partition / swap partition environment i.e.
splitting HOME explicitly into its OWN partition and may be something
else recommended from more experienced users in this forum !?

Cheers, svobi