Old 12-08-2007, 06:21 AM
gup502

Default Question about quick access to mnt devices

I have created a nfs client to access a directory on a server. I have
modified ftabs so that it is mounted each time when I turn on the
machine.

A question is whether I can create an icon or shortcut on Desktop so
that I would not need to drill down to /mnt/ each time?

Inputs are appreciated.
--
With regards,
Terence

Old 12-08-2007, 06:48 AM
Peter Garrett

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 15:21:40 +0800
gup502 <gup502@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> I have created a nfs client to access a directory on a server. I have
> modified ftabs so that it is mounted each time when I turn on the
> machine.
>
> A question is whether I can create an icon or shortcut on Desktop so
> that I would not need to drill down to /mnt/ each time?

Sure. Say you have a mount point

/mnt/remote-machine

* In GNOME, right-click the desktop and choose from the menu "Create
Launcher"

* Select "File" as the Type

* Enter "/mnt/remote-machine" as your location

* Add a comment if desired, and a name for the shortcut

Now when you click the icon, you will see what is at that mount point in
Nautilus, assuming that it is in fact mounted.

I imagine something very similar would work in KDE too, but I don't
currently have it installed, so I can't check.

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 12-10-2007, 03:39 AM
gup502

On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 18:48 +1100, Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 15:21:40 +0800
> gup502 <gup502@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
> > I have created a nfs client to access a directory on a server. I have
> > modified ftabs so that it is mounted each time when I turn on the
> > machine.
> >
> > A question is whether I can create an icon or shortcut on Desktop so
> > that I would not need to drill down to /mnt/ each time?
>
> Sure. Say you have a mount point
>
> /mnt/remote-machine
>
> * In GNOME, right-click the desktop and choose from the menu "Create
> Launcher"
>
> * Select "File" as the Type
>
> * Enter "/mnt/remote-machine" as your location
>
> * Add a comment if desired, and a name for the shortcut
>
> Now when you click the icon, you will see what is at that mount point in
> Nautilus, assuming that it is in fact mounted.
>
> I imagine something very similar would work in KDE too, but I don't
> currently have it installed, so I can't check.
>
> Peter
>

> --
> "INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net
> Screenshots slideshow: http://inx.maincontent.net/album/1.png.html

Thanks Peter. It works but there was no 'file' type, with Gutsy, the
options available are application and location. I chose location.
Thanks again.
--
With regards,
Terence