Old 12-08-2007, 05:40 AM
John Toliver

Default Can't get hotsync to start over IR

I am trying to get my M515 to hotsync with my T23 over IR (too lazy to
connect USB cradle) The hotsync on the handheld looks for a connection
but can't find one and times out. I suspect that Ubuntu didn't find my
IR port because when I navigate to /dev/pilot, I don't see it. Is their
anyway to make ubuntu see the IR port? does it see it as another serial
port? How does this work? Any help is appreciated.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Marius Gedminas

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 01:40:10AM -0500, John Toliver wrote:
> I am trying to get my M515 to hotsync with my T23 over IR (too lazy to
> connect USB cradle)

I've used to do that with my m500 and my T23, many years ago.

By the way, hotsync over USB is something like ten times faster, and you
don't have to keep your palm aligned with the infrared port all the time.

> The hotsync on the handheld looks for a connection
> but can't find one and times out. I suspect that Ubuntu didn't find my
> IR port because when I navigate to /dev/pilot, I don't see it.

The device for syncing is /dev/ircomm0, and I doubt that any tool will
make /dev/pilot a symlink to it.

> Is their
> anyway to make ubuntu see the IR port?

You may need to install irda-utils and read tons of documentation to get
it to work.

Let me Google for some...

> does it see it as another serial
> port?

Yes.

> How does this work? Any help is appreciated.

I don't remember the details, it was a long time ago. Let me use my
Google powers instead.

Here's a short HOWTO that ought to work, if you correct one minor error:

The error is that 'sudo echo ircomm_tty >> /etc/modules' is not going
to work; 'sudo su -c "echo ircomm_tty >> /etc/modules"' will.

Marius Gedminas
--
This is, or so I'm told, a classic book. I can see why. It is long and it
requires a great effort to finish it. If you go through a great effort to

Old 12-10-2007, 12:19 AM
John Toliver

On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 14:07 +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 01:40:10AM -0500, John Toliver wrote:
> > I am trying to get my M515 to hotsync with my T23 over IR (too lazy to
> > connect USB cradle)
>
> I've used to do that with my m500 and my T23, many years ago.
>
> By the way, hotsync over USB is something like ten times faster, and you
> don't have to keep your palm aligned with the infrared port all the time.
>
> > The hotsync on the handheld looks for a connection
> > but can't find one and times out. I suspect that Ubuntu didn't find my
> > IR port because when I navigate to /dev/pilot, I don't see it.
>
> The device for syncing is /dev/ircomm0, and I doubt that any tool will
> make /dev/pilot a symlink to it.
>
> > Is their
> > anyway to make ubuntu see the IR port?
>
> You may need to install irda-utils and read tons of documentation to get
> it to work.
>
> Let me Google for some...
>
> > does it see it as another serial
> > port?
>
> Yes.
>
> > How does this work? Any help is appreciated.
>
> I don't remember the details, it was a long time ago. Let me use my
> Google powers instead.
>
> Here's a short HOWTO that ought to work, if you correct one minor error:
>
> The error is that 'sudo echo ircomm_tty >> /etc/modules' is not going
> to work; 'sudo su -c "echo ircomm_tty >> /etc/modules"' will.
>
> Marius Gedminas

Thanks for the reply. Will follow the link and make this one of my
projects for next weekend.