Old 08-25-2008, 01:39 AM
"Basil V. Fitze"

Default Why x32 Ubuntu 8.04 and not x64

Hello,

I am concerned when I bought a Dell inspiron 1525* I* expected* 64*
bit* software, but I got 32 bit I feel cheated, will Dell be providing
a upgrade in the future or is Dell like most* other Laptop makers are
going cheep on the software my Acer Laptop is a dual core x64 system
yet is also being short changed, why?

--
God Bless, Have a great day.

Basil Fitze
Computer Consultant
basilf@shaw.ca
Website www.bonlinux.com

Need Domain Hositng Great Prices
http://www.startlogic.com/join/index.bml?AffID=571095 <== Excellent Customer Service
Need a paypal account
https://www.paypal.com/row/mrb/pal=DJ9Q4MZVSM4UG
My online Computer store

Computer Stores: Systems and peripherals <<-- Great deals on Latest Quad Core systems
http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=gnsFzF3t5bs&offerid=102328.10000003&type= 4&subid=0

Apple Computers: <<- Checkout the new MacBook Air or the laterst in iPods.
*** New iPhones 3G Starting @ $199.00 8GB Available July 11th i***
Checkout the review http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/iphone-3g-is-finally-official/
http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3018421-10479796 <<- iMac
http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-3018421-10479746 <<- iPods
http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-3018421-10497798 <<- iPod Touch
On a budget why not consider a Refurbished iPods
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?node=home/specialdeals/ipod&cid=AOS-US-AFFC-IPOD&aosid=p201&AID=10507949&PID=1

Old 08-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Jason Crain

Basil V. Fitze wrote:
I am concerned when I bought a Dell inspiron 1525 I expected 64 bit
software, but I got 32 bit I feel cheated, will Dell be providing a
upgrade in the future or is Dell like most other Laptop makers are
going cheep on the software my Acer Laptop is a dual core x64 system
yet is also being short changed, why?

If you would like the 64 bit Ubuntu, you can download it for free from
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu. The Ubuntu software is always free,
though you can pay for support if you wish.

I don't know why Dell includes the 32 bit version only, but keep in mind
that the primary reason to use 64 bit operating systems is for a lot of
RAM. If you have 3 Gig RAM or less, there is not much advantage to 64 bit.

If you really think Dell should provide 64 bit by default, it would be
better to contact Dell customer service than these mailing lists.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:04 AM
"Brian McKee"

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 9:39 PM, Basil V. Fitze <basilf@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am concerned when I bought a Dell inspiron 1525 I expected 64 bit
> software, but I got 32 bit I feel cheated, will Dell be providing a upgrade
> in the future or is Dell like most other Laptop makers are going cheep on
> the software my Acer Laptop is a dual core x64 system yet is also being
> short changed, why?

Just a guess - but didn't Dell include a few items not in the standard
distro like Fluendo codecs and a DVD player? My guess is that those
items were available 32 bit only.

Don't feel cheated, almost all your software will work identically on
32 bits. Some only runs under 32 bits. If you'd got Windows on it -
you would have got 32 bit... 64 bit Ubuntu is available for free if
you are so inclined.

Brian