Old 12-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Ben Kevan

Default firefox showing wrong version

On Friday 07 December 2007 03:37:16 pm Corey Bettenhausen wrote:
> Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> > On my Ubuntu Gutsy system with a recent apt-get update/apt-get upgrade:
> >
> > scott@scott-desktop:~$ which firefox
> > /usr/bin/firefox
> > scott@scott-desktop:~$ firefox --version
> > Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.11, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2007 mozilla.org
> >
> >>From within firefox:
> >
> > Help > About Firefox
> > Firefox
> > version 2.0.0.8
>
> You may have two versions of firefox installed and launcher is pointing
> to the old one. Not sure how that could happen but something to check
> out. Right-click on the launcher and select "Properties". What command
> is it running?
> -Corey

Type:

which firefox

That will tell you which one you open.

Ben

Old 12-07-2007, 10:17 PM
Scott Ehrlich

On my Ubuntu Gutsy system with a recent apt-get update/apt-get upgrade:

scott@scott-desktop:~$ which firefox
/usr/bin/firefox
scott@scott-desktop:~$ firefox --version
Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.11, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2007 mozilla.org

From within firefox:

Help > About Firefox

Firefox
version 2.0.0.8

What am I missing, or what's going on? Why isn't the application itself
showing 2.0.0.11?

Thanks.

Scott

Old 12-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Corey Bettenhausen

Old 12-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Scott Ehrlich

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007, Corey Bettenhausen wrote:

> Scott Ehrlich wrote:
>> On my Ubuntu Gutsy system with a recent apt-get update/apt-get upgrade:
>>
>> scott@scott-desktop:~$ which firefox
>> /usr/bin/firefox
>> scott@scott-desktop:~$ firefox --version
>> Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.11, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2007 mozilla.org
>>> From within firefox:
>> Help > About Firefox
>> Firefox
>> version 2.0.0.8
> You may have two versions of firefox installed and launcher is pointing
> to the old one. Not sure how that could happen but something to check
> out. Right-click on the launcher and select "Properties". What command
> is it running?
> -Corey

The catch here is the firefox version I show above with 2.0.0.8 was using
firefox invoked from the command line.

Some more details:

scott@scott-desktop:/usr/lib/firefox$ ./firefox <-- this brings up
2.0.0.8 per Help > About Firefox, though ./firefox --version shows 2.0.0.11

scott@scott-desktop:/usr/lib/firefox$ ./firefox-bin
./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot

Old 12-08-2007, 01:35 AM
"Jimmy Wu"

On Dec 7, 2007 5:03 PM, Ben Kevan <ben.kevan@gmail.com> wrote:

On Friday 07 December 2007 03:37:16 pm Corey Bettenhausen wrote:
> Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> > On my Ubuntu Gutsy system with a recent apt-get update/apt-get upgrade:

scott@scott-desktop:~$ which firefox
> > /usr/bin/firefox
> > scott@scott-desktop:~$ firefox --version
> > Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.11, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2007
mozilla.org

> >>From within firefox:
> >
> > Help > About Firefox
> > Firefox
> > version
2.0.0.8

> You may have two versions of firefox installed and launcher is pointing
> to the old one. *Not sure how that could happen but something to check
> out. *Right-click on the launcher and select "Properties". *What command

> is it running?
> -Corey

Type:

which firefox

That will tell you which one you open.

Ben

He already did - the point of the OP's question was why does the same command (ie firefox) show different versions when invoked in different ways?

I don't know what's going on either, but what does dpkg say about firefox?

Regards,

Jimmy
--
Registered Linux User #454138

Old 12-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Scott Ehrlich

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Jimmy Wu wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2007 5:03 PM, Ben Kevan <ben.kevan@gmail.com> wrote:

>> upgrade:

>>> You may have two versions of firefox installed and launcher is pointing
>>> to the old one. Not sure how that could happen but something to check
>>> out. Right-click on the launcher and select "Properties". What command
>>> is it running?
>>> -Corey
>>
>> Type:
>>
>> which firefox
>>
>> That will tell you which one you open.
>>
>> Ben
>>

> He already did - the point of the OP's question was why does the same
> command (ie firefox) show different versions when invoked in different ways?
>
> I don't know what's going on either, but what does dpkg say about firefox?

Well, I downloaded a fresh copy from Mozilla.com (did this before, too,
but I had the same problem). Did it again now, ran it from the extracted
directory, and it shows the proper version.

Hmmm....

Well, at least I appear to now have access to the latest version.

Thanks.

Scott

Old 12-08-2007, 03:01 PM
"John DeCarlo"

On Dec 8, 2007 7:11 AM, Scott Ehrlich <scott@mit.edu> wrote:

Well, I downloaded a fresh copy from Mozilla.com (did this before, too,
but I had the same problem). *Did it again now, ran it from the extracted
directory, and it shows the proper version.

I find that is the safest option over all.* I don't know of any distros, even Ubuntu, that tell you all the patches they make to Firefox or Thunderbird.* So it can be hard to figure out things like that - could be a mistake, could be a conscious decision for some maintenance reason.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own

Old 12-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Carl Spitzer

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 18:49 -0500, Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> scott@scott-desktop:/usr/lib/firefox$ ./firefox <-- this brings up
> 2.0.0.8 per Help > About Firefox, though ./firefox --version shows 2.0.0.11
>
> scott@scott-desktop:/usr/lib/firefox$ ./firefox-bin
> ./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot
> scott@scott-desktop:/usr/lib/firefox$

try

sudo apt-get update firefox

I was having problems with the GUI update manager failing on firefox in Feisty.
So I did it manually and while slow on the library broadband it worked.

If it reports its already done then remove both manually or with the guy and
reinstall from the command line.

o _____ | CWSIV@KeepAndBearArms.com |
.][__n_n_|DD[ ====_____ | M A R K L I N T R A I N S |
_/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`