Old 08-24-2008, 06:02 PM
"Devon Harding"

Default Xubuntu & WPA

I just installed Xubuntu 8.04 on my Fujitsu notebook and I can't seem
to get the WPA wireless working.* When I click on the network icon in
the panel, it lists my Dlink wireless router's SSID (WPA).* Now when I
click my ssid, it prompts for a WEP key instead of WPA.* What gives?* How do I get it to detect WPA networks?

-Devon

Old 08-25-2008, 11:58 AM
"Devon Harding"

I just installed Xubuntu 8.04 on my Fujitsu notebook and I can't seem
to get the WPA wireless working.* When I click on the network icon in
the panel, it lists my Dlink wireless router's SSID (WPA).* Now when I
click my ssid, it prompts for a WEP key instead of WPA.* What gives?* How do I get it to detect WPA networks?

-Devon

Anyone?* Could this be the hostap driver that comes with Ubuntu? If so, how can I update this driver?

Old 08-25-2008, 12:02 PM
"Raseel Bhagat"

Hi Devon,

I just installed Xubuntu 8.04 on my Fujitsu notebook and I can't seem
to get the WPA wireless working.* When I click on the network icon in
the panel, it lists my Dlink wireless router's SSID (WPA).* Now when I
click my ssid, it prompts for a WEP key instead of WPA.* What gives?* How do I get it to detect WPA networks?

-Devon

Anyone?* Could this be the hostap driver that comes with Ubuntu? If so, how can I update this driver?
I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 and detecting, associating and connecting to WPA APs works fine for me.

Which wireless driver are you using ? What is your wireless card ?

Thanks,
Raseel
http://raseel.in

Old 08-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Knapp

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Raseel Bhagat <raseelbhagat@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Devon,
>
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Devon Harding <devonharding@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Devon Harding <devonharding@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just installed Xubuntu 8.04 on my Fujitsu notebook and I can't seem to
>>> get the WPA wireless working. When I click on the network icon in the
>>> panel, it lists my Dlink wireless router's SSID (WPA). Now when I click my
>>> ssid, it prompts for a WEP key instead of WPA. What gives? How do I get it
>>> to detect WPA networks?
>>>
>>> -Devon
>>
>> Anyone? Could this be the hostap driver that comes with Ubuntu? If so,
>> how can I update this driver?
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 and detecting, associating and connecting to WPA APs
> works fine for me.
>
> Which wireless driver are you using ? What is your wireless card ?
>
> Thanks,
> Raseel
> http://raseel.in

What does your /etc/network/interfaces file?
How about wpasupplicant.conf?
Or is this not how it is done with Ubuntu?

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 08-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 14:14 +0200, Knapp wrote:
> Or is this not how it is done with Ubuntu?

It should work completely automatically via network-manager.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Knapp

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Mario Vukelic
<mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 14:14 +0200, Knapp wrote:
>> Or is this not how it is done with Ubuntu?
>
> It should work completely automatically via network-manager.

But it does not. How do you set up network-manager?
My wifi settings were destroyed by me playing with them to much.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 08-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 15:36 +0200, Knapp wrote:

> But it does not.

In general, it does. some people have issues with it, probably
hardware-dependent. But I think it helps people more to first try and
make their Network Manager work instead of sending them editing
conffiles (which usually takes away functionality if compared to NM)

> How do you set up network-manager?

If it works, not at all. It's installed by default, scans the network
(wired and wireless) and shows an icon in the notification area. It will
connect to wired ethernet automatically if it uses DHCP. To use the
wireless network, the user is supposed to click the notification icon,
select the network and enter the password.

> My wifi settings were destroyed by me playing with them to much.

Check here, maybe you find hints:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkManager

Old 08-25-2008, 04:14 PM
"Devon Harding"

I just installed Xubuntu 8.04 on my Fujitsu notebook and I can't seem
to get the WPA wireless working.* When I click on the network icon in
the panel, it lists my Dlink wireless router's SSID (WPA).* Now when I
click my ssid, it prompts for a WEP key instead of WPA.* What gives?* How do I get it to detect WPA networks?

-Devon

Anyone?* Could this be the hostap driver that comes with Ubuntu? If so, how can I update this driver?
I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 and detecting, associating and connecting to WPA APs works fine for me.

Which wireless driver are you using ? What is your wireless card ?

Thanks,
Raseel
http://raseel.in

--
I'm using the Intersil Prism 2.5 card with the hostap_pci driver.* When I had FC9 installed, it worked fine.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:18 PM
"Devon Harding"

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Raseel Bhagat <raseelbhagat@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Devon,

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Devon Harding <devonharding@gmail.com>

> wrote:

>> On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Devon Harding <devonharding@gmail.com>

>> wrote:

>>> I just installed Xubuntu 8.04 on my Fujitsu notebook and I can't seem to

>>> get the WPA wireless working. *When I click on the network icon in the

>>> panel, it lists my Dlink wireless router's SSID (WPA). *Now when I click my

>>> ssid, it prompts for a WEP key instead of WPA. *What gives? *How do I get it

>>> to detect WPA networks?

>>> -Devon

>> Anyone? *Could this be the hostap driver that comes with Ubuntu? If so,

>> how can I update this driver?

> I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 and detecting, associating and connecting to WPA APs

> works fine for me.

> Which wireless driver are you using ? What is your wireless card ?

> Thanks,

> Raseel

> http://raseel.in

What does your /etc/network/interfaces file?

How about wpasupplicant.conf?

Or is this not how it is done with Ubuntu?

--

Douglas E Knapp

/etc/network/interfaces only has the following:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0

I have wpa_supplicant installed, but no /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

-Devon

Old 08-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Knapp

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 6:18 PM, Devon Harding <devonharding@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Raseel Bhagat <raseelbhagat@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Devon,

>> > I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 and detecting, associating and connecting to WPA
>> > APs
>> > works fine for me.
>> >
>> > Which wireless driver are you using ? What is your wireless card ?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Raseel
>> > http://raseel.in
>>
>> What does your /etc/network/interfaces file?
>> How about wpasupplicant.conf?
>> Or is this not how it is done with Ubuntu?
>>

>> --
>> Douglas E Knapp
>>
>> http://sf-journey-creations.wikispot.org/Front_Page
>>
>> --
>
> /etc/network/interfaces only has the following:
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> auto eth0
>
> I have wpa_supplicant installed, but no /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
>
> -Devon

So there is nothing about wlan0? Is that because you don't have a wifi card?

--
Douglas E Knapp