Old 08-24-2008, 11:48 AM
"Brian McKee"

Default How to run the Alternate CD from USB-Stick?

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Hadmut Danisch <hadmut@danisch.de> wrote:
> OK guys,
>
> I got it running.

Cool - Nice to see you figured out a solution.
> That's how it works:
>
> * split the USB device into two partitions. A small one with
> vfat and the directories needed for booting (copy from alternate
> CDROM), copy isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg and run syslinux.
>
> * copy the iso image blockwise (dd ...) into the second partition.
> (must be large enough, >= 720MB). It is important that it is
> a iso file system.

Any idea what would have happened if you partitioned the stick with a
file system that understands symlinks like ext3? I'm wondering if
that would have negated the reason for two partitons.

Brian

Old 08-26-2008, 12:54 AM
Derek Broughton

Brian McKee wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Hadmut Danisch <hadmut@danisch.de> wrote:
>> OK guys,
>>
>> I got it running.
>
> Cool - Nice to see you figured out a solution.
>> That's how it works:
>>
>> * split the USB device into two partitions. A small one with
>> vfat and the directories needed for booting (copy from alternate
>> CDROM), copy isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg and run syslinux.
>>
>> * copy the iso image blockwise (dd ...) into the second partition.
>> (must be large enough, >= 720MB). It is important that it is
>> a iso file system.
>
> Any idea what would have happened if you partitioned the stick with a
> file system that understands symlinks like ext3? I'm wondering if
> that would have negated the reason for two partitons.

Seems like the right idea to me.
--
derek