Old 08-24-2008, 12:02 AM
"Verde Denim"

Default Firewall Tool

I'm looking for a firewall tool for my personal Ubuntu 8.04.1. server.
I've found a number of them in Synaptic, and have tried a few in the past (firehol, firestarter, and fwbuilder).

I've heard that fwbuilder is the best of these, but I found it somewhat difficult to use.
As a consensus of the community, should I continue to persevere with fwbuilder, or would a tool such as firestarter really suffice?

Thanks for your input. I appreciate the common body of knowledge within this community.

Jack

Old 08-24-2008, 03:05 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 8:02 PM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a firewall tool for my personal Ubuntu 8.04.1. server.
> I've found a number of them in Synaptic, and have tried a few in the past
> (firehol, firestarter, and fwbuilder).
> I've heard that fwbuilder is the best of these, but I found it somewhat
> difficult to use.
> As a consensus of the community, should I continue to persevere with
> fwbuilder, or would a tool such as firestarter really suffice?

You may also consider the new 'ucw'
<http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/05/howto-take-use-setup-and-advantage-of.html>
It's on my list of things to review closer.

While I haven't used it lately, I found firestarter didn't always do
what I expected - which isn't what I want in a firewall....

Brian

Old 08-25-2008, 10:00 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 7:02 PM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a firewall tool for my personal Ubuntu 8.04.1. server.
> I've found a number of them in Synaptic, and have tried a few in the past
> (firehol, firestarter, and fwbuilder).
> I've heard that fwbuilder is the best of these, but I found it somewhat
> difficult to use.
> As a consensus of the community, should I continue to persevere with
> fwbuilder, or would a tool such as firestarter really suffice?
>
> Thanks for your input. I appreciate the common body of knowledge within this
> community.
>
> Jack

On my home Ubuntu server I'm using shorewall-perl and configuring it
via Webmin. I have been warned that Webmin is evil (on Ubuntu), but I
have had no problems. I find the configuration to be fairly painless
using this method. Aside from shorewall and occaissionally mysql, I
do no other configuration through Webmin...

Chris

Old 08-26-2008, 12:57 AM
Derek Broughton

Brian McKee wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 8:02 PM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm looking for a firewall tool for my personal Ubuntu 8.04.1. server.
>> I've found a number of them in Synaptic, and have tried a few in the past
>> (firehol, firestarter, and fwbuilder).
>> I've heard that fwbuilder is the best of these, but I found it somewhat
>> difficult to use.
>> As a consensus of the community, should I continue to persevere with
>> fwbuilder, or would a tool such as firestarter really suffice?
>
> You may also consider the new 'ucw'

<http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/05/howto-take-use-setup-and-advantage-of.html>

uFw - but if he bothers to read the link, he'd know that :-)
--
derek

Old 08-26-2008, 01:18 AM
"Verde Denim"

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 8:57 PM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

Brian McKee wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 8:02 PM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm looking for a firewall tool for my personal Ubuntu 8.04.1. server.

>> I've found a number of them in Synaptic, and have tried a few in the past

>> (firehol, firestarter, and fwbuilder).

>> I've heard that fwbuilder is the best of these, but I found it somewhat

>> difficult to use.

>> As a consensus of the community, should I continue to persevere with

>> fwbuilder, or would a tool such as firestarter really suffice?

> You may also consider the new 'ucw'

<http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/05/howto-take-use-setup-and-advantage-of.html>

uFw - but if he bothers to read the link, he'd know that :-)Derek - yeah, I did read this. I also ran the man pages for ufw... Very interesting tool. I'm looking into this at the moment.

Jack
*

--

derek

Old 08-26-2008, 03:11 AM
"Brian McKee"

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 8:57 PM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Brian McKee wrote:
>> You may also consider the new 'ucw'
> <http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/05/howto-take-use-setup-and-advantage-of.html>
> uFw - but if he bothers to read the link, he'd know that :-)

Eeeek. Thanks for catching that Derek. There's that loose nut on the
keyboard acting up again.

I guess I was thinking UnComplicated fireWall.... no scratch that, I
just wasn't thinking :-)

ufw ufw ufw ufw

Brian

Old 08-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Derek Broughton

Brian McKee wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 8:57 PM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>
> wrote:
>> Brian McKee wrote:
>>> You may also consider the new 'ucw'

<http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/05/howto-take-use-setup-and-advantage-of.html>
>> uFw - but if he bothers to read the link, he'd know that :-)
>
> Eeeek. Thanks for catching that Derek. There's that loose nut on the
> keyboard acting up again.
>
> I guess I was thinking UnComplicated fireWall.... no scratch that, I
> just wasn't thinking :-)
>
> ufw ufw ufw ufw

LOL. If you'd written "ufw", I would have just passed by, but since I
wasn't really sure, I had to go and read a good article :-)
--
derek

Old 08-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Rashkae

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Brian McKee wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 8:02 PM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm looking for a firewall tool for my personal Ubuntu 8.04.1. server.
>>> I've found a number of them in Synaptic, and have tried a few in the past
>>> (firehol, firestarter, and fwbuilder).
>>> I've heard that fwbuilder is the best of these, but I found it somewhat
>>> difficult to use.
>>> As a consensus of the community, should I continue to persevere with
>>> fwbuilder, or would a tool such as firestarter really suffice?
>> You may also consider the new 'ucw'
>>
> <http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/05/howto-take-use-setup-and-advantage-of.html>
>
> uFw - but if he bothers to read the link, he'd know that :-)

If you're going to run a firewall that works from text commands and
starts with default "Accept everything" policy, you might as well learn
to use iptables directly. At the end of the day, if you go that route,
iptables is the last firewall configuration program you'll ever need to
learn.