FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Pastor JW
 
Default cant mount udf DVD- Kernel upgrade

On Saturday 23 August 2008 09:57:43 am Cesar Augusto Suarez wrote:
> Hi.
> because i cant mount an UDF DVD because kernel 2.6.24-19-generic doesnt
> support it,ie diecide to upgrade to most recent stable kernel. Idownload a
> tool in Master Kernel Thread, the tool ran ok, and its suppose new kernel
> is already installed, but when i reboot,,the system says "kernel
> 2.6.24-19-generic"
> whats the problem?

I don't see one, 2.6.24-19-generic IS the most recent stable kernel.


--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_original_inner_circle
http://h.webring.com/hub?ring=universalministr

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-23-2008, 06:12 PM
David Curtis
 
Default cant mount udf DVD- Kernel upgrade

Cesar Augusto Suarez wrote:
> Hi.
> because i cant mount an UDF DVD because kernel 2.6.24-19-generic doesnt support it,ie diecide to upgrade to most recent stable kernel.
> Idownload a tool in Master Kernel Thread, the tool ran ok, and its suppose new kernel is already installed,
> but when i reboot,,the system says "kernel 2.6.24-19-generic"
> whats the problem?
>
Can you give us URLs for the tool and the thread?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Markus Schönhaber
 
Default cant mount udf DVD- Kernel upgrade

Cesar Augusto Suarez wrote:

> Idownload a tool in Master Kernel Thread, the tool ran ok,
> and its suppose new kernel is already installed, but when i
> reboot,,the system says "kernel 2.6.24-19-generic" whats the problem?

Check, if the new kernel really is installed.
If it is, check, if the new kernel is referenced in /boot/grub/menu.lst
(provided you're using GRUB as boot loader).
If it is in menu.lst, make sure it is the default kernel or select it
manually during boot.

Regards
mks



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-24-2008, 12:46 AM
"Mark Haney"
 
Default cant mount udf DVD- Kernel upgrade

Pastor JW wrote:
> On Saturday 23 August 2008 09:57:43 am Cesar Augusto Suarez wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>> because i cant mount an UDF DVD because kernel 2.6.24-19-generic doesnt
>> support it,ie diecide to upgrade to most recent stable kernel. Idownload a
>> tool in Master Kernel Thread, the tool ran ok, and its suppose new kernel
>> is already installed, but when i reboot,,the system says "kernel
>> 2.6.24-19-generic"
>> whats the problem?
>>
>
> I don't see one, 2.6.24-19-generic IS the most recent stable kernel.
>
>
>
Have you tried mounting the DVD directly from the command line? IE

'mount -t iso9660 <DVD device> <mountpoint>'

With mine sometimes I have to mount certain DVDs that way (mostly
because the kernel isn't happy automounting certain udf disks). Mine
works like this:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder

The ISO9660 is a standard and should work for correctly burned media.


--
Mark Haney
mhaney@ercbroadband.org
Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)
Kernel: 2.6.25.10-86.fc9.i686 GNU/Linux

16:31:50 up 3 days, 6:20, 2 users, load average: 0.96, 0.77, 0.85




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Rashkae
 
Default cant mount udf DVD- Kernel upgrade

Mark Haney wrote:
> Pastor JW wrote:
>> On Saturday 23 August 2008 09:57:43 am Cesar Augusto Suarez wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>> because i cant mount an UDF DVD because kernel 2.6.24-19-generic doesnt
>>> support it,ie diecide to upgrade to most recent stable kernel. Idownload a
>>> tool in Master Kernel Thread, the tool ran ok, and its suppose new kernel
>>> is already installed, but when i reboot,,the system says "kernel
>>> 2.6.24-19-generic"
>>> whats the problem?
>>>
>> I don't see one, 2.6.24-19-generic IS the most recent stable kernel.
>>
>>
>>
> Have you tried mounting the DVD directly from the command line? IE
>
> 'mount -t iso9660 <DVD device> <mountpoint>'
>
> With mine sometimes I have to mount certain DVDs that way (mostly
> because the kernel isn't happy automounting certain udf disks). Mine
> works like this:
>
> mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder
>
> The ISO9660 is a standard and should work for correctly burned media.
>
>


Bad idea.. this will do eeeevil things if your udf happens to have files
larger than 2GB (the limit for iso9660)

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-25-2008, 12:27 PM
"Mark Haney"
 
Default cant mount udf DVD- Kernel upgrade

Rashkae wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:

>
>
> Bad idea.. this will do eeeevil things if your udf happens to have files
> larger than 2GB (the limit for iso9660)
>

I have done this without trouble for a couple of years now without
trouble on files much larger than 2GB. However, I rather doubt this
would be a problem in his case, since, except for my job, I rarely have
files larger than 2GB on DVD.

However, I do concede the point that is /can/ be bad, but I've yet to
have trouble with it within the recent past.


--
Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar


Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Rashkae
 
Default cant mount udf DVD- Kernel upgrade

Mark Haney wrote:
> Rashkae wrote:
>> Mark Haney wrote:
>
>>
>> Bad idea.. this will do eeeevil things if your udf happens to have files
>> larger than 2GB (the limit for iso9660)
>>
>
> I have done this without trouble for a couple of years now without
> trouble on files much larger than 2GB. However, I rather doubt this
> would be a problem in his case, since, except for my job, I rarely have
> files larger than 2GB on DVD.
>
> However, I do concede the point that is /can/ be bad, but I've yet to
> have trouble with it within the recent past.
>
>

Oh, I'll have to try this for myself. I was under the distinct
impression that a FS mounted with iso FS would stop reading a file after
2GB... My apologies if I spread outdated misinformation.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-25-2008, 01:48 PM
"Mark Haney"
 
Default cant mount udf DVD- Kernel upgrade

Rashkae wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:

>>
>
> Oh, I'll have to try this for myself. I was under the distinct
> impression that a FS mounted with iso FS would stop reading a file after
> 2GB... My apologies if I spread outdated misinformation.
>
>
>

No apology needed. Just because I've never had trouble doesn't mean I
won't. Or that someone else won't. All I can report is what I know
I've been able to do.


--
Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar


Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:13 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org