Old 08-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Hadmut Danisch

Default How to run the Alternate CD from USB-Stick?

OK,

I solved the next step:

I had copied the contents of the CDROM to the USB stick.

while the CDROM has an ISO file system, the stick has a vfat and
does not have the ability for softlinks. in the dists directory
there is usually a hardy directory and a symlink stable -> hardy,
which got lost when copying to the vfat file system.

renaming hardy to stable made it run.

(I had to boot until the error message of the missing cdrom comes
and then mount the USB stick manually onto /cdrom)

regards

Old 08-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Hadmut Danisch

OK guys,

I got it running.

- Problem: Some parts of the installation process depend on
the symlink stable -> hardy in the dists directory. The vfat does
not provide symlinks. I tried to move hardy to stable, but ran
into other problems. So vfat causes trouble.

- I tried to copy the CDROM file by file into a second partition,
but ran into the problem that the system does not have any
ext2, ext3 or other usable file system at that time.

- And, btw. manually mounting the image causes problems because
the installation system does not determine the codename of the
release and debootstrap fails.

That's how it works:

* split the USB device into two partitions. A small one with
vfat and the directories needed for booting (copy from alternate
CDROM), copy isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg and run syslinux.

* copy the iso image blockwise (dd ...) into the second partition.
(must be large enough, >= 720MB). It is important that it is
a iso file system.

Now boot from the stick, wait for the error message that the cdrom
is not found. Skip the menu where additional modules can be loaded
and go for the question to manually enter the CDROM device. Enter
the device name (e.g. /dev/sdb2, use the second console to determine)
of the USB partition with the iso image.

Works. :-)

regards