Old 08-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Hadmut Danisch

Default How to run the Alternate CD from USB-Stick?

Hi,

I am just trying to install Ubuntu on one of these new cheap small notebooks
without a CDROM drive (MSI Wind). I therefore have to use a USB stick.

While there are good descriptions and tools to put the desktop LiveCD
on a USB stick and even use persistant storage on pendrivelinux.com,
there are no hints about how to put the alternate CD on a USB stick.
For some installation features (e.g. LVM and disk encryption) the alternate
CD is required.

I tried to copy it on a USB stick and to boot it with syslinux, which worked
as expected (copied isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg), the installation
procedure
fails with the error message that it does not find a CDROM drive.

Any idea how to run the alternate installation from a USB pendrive?

regards
Hadmut

Sat Aug 23 18:30:01 2008