-   -   Desktop not loading (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/147118-desktop-not-loading.html)

Peter Baily 08-22-2008 05:40 PM

Desktop not loading

I do not know whether my problem is related to the long running thread
of correspondence about desktop problems. If I have missed something,
my apologies.

Regularly - and again today- when I start Ubuntu the desktop (one of my
photos with media icons superimposed) does not load. The bars top and
bottom with their icons load normally leaving a black screen.
To correct this I have to reboot probably twice and some times three
times - this morning two reboots.
The loader must be skipping an instruction intermittently. Please, can
anyone offer a cure? I would hope not to be wasting time like this in
future.

"Peteralchemist"

Leonard Chatagnier 08-22-2008 07:41 PM

Desktop not loading

--- Peter Baily <peter.baily@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> I do not know whether my problem is related to the
> long running thread
> of correspondence about desktop problems. If I
> have missed something,
> my apologies.
>
> Regularly - and again today- when I start Ubuntu the
> desktop (one of my
> photos with media icons superimposed) does not load.
> The bars top and
> bottom with their icons load normally leaving a
> black screen.
> To correct this I have to reboot probably twice and
> some times three
> times - this morning two reboots.
> The loader must be skipping an instruction
> intermittently. Please, can
> anyone offer a cure? I would hope not to be
> wasting time like this in
> future.
>
> "Peteralchemist"

If your not using Hardy KDE4.1 your issue is probably
not related to the long running thread.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Ulin the Tech Mage 08-22-2008 08:14 PM

Desktop not loading

Ulin the Tech Mage 08-22-2008 08:14 PM

Desktop not loading

On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 12:41 -0700, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- Peter Baily <peter.baily@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
> > I do not know whether my problem is related to the
> > long running thread
> > of correspondence about desktop problems. If I
> > have missed something,
> > my apologies.
> >
> > Regularly - and again today- when I start Ubuntu the
> > desktop (one of my
> > photos with media icons superimposed) does not load.
> > The bars top and
> > bottom with their icons load normally leaving a
> > black screen.
> > To correct this I have to reboot probably twice and
> > some times three
> > times - this morning two reboots.
> > The loader must be skipping an instruction
> > intermittently. Please, can
> > anyone offer a cure? I would hope not to be
> > wasting time like this in
> > future.
> >
> > "Peteralchemist"
> >
> If your not using Hardy KDE4.1 your issue is probably
> not related to the long running thread.
>
> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

do you have the compisiting effects turned on? try turning them off

Leonard Chatagnier 08-22-2008 08:24 PM

Desktop not loading

--- Ulin the Tech Mage <ulinthetechmage@hit-techs.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 12:41 -0700, Leonard
> Chatagnier wrote:
> > --- Peter Baily <peter.baily@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I do not know whether my problem is related to
> the
> > > long running thread
> > > of correspondence about desktop problems. If I
> > > have missed something,
> > > my apologies.
> > >
> > > Regularly - and again today- when I start Ubuntu
> the
> > > desktop (one of my
> > > photos with media icons superimposed) does not
> load.
> > > The bars top and
> > > bottom with their icons load normally leaving a
> > > black screen.
> > > To correct this I have to reboot probably twice
> and
> > > some times three
> > > times - this morning two reboots.
> > > The loader must be skipping an instruction
> > > intermittently. Please, can
> > > anyone offer a cure? I would hope not to be
> > > wasting time like this in
> > > future.
> > >
> > > "Peteralchemist"
> > >
> > If your not using Hardy KDE4.1 your issue is
> probably
> > not related to the long running thread.
> >
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
> >

> do you have the compisiting effects turned on? try
> turning them off

Thanks, I'll try doing that and let you know the results

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Leonard Chatagnier 08-22-2008 08:34 PM

Desktop not loading

wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 12:41 -0700, Leonard
> Chatagnier wrote:
> > --- Peter Baily <peter.baily@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I do not know whether my problem is related to
> the
> > > long running thread
> > > of correspondence about desktop problems. If I
> > > have missed something,
> > > my apologies.
> > >
> > > Regularly - and again today- when I start Ubuntu
> the
> > > desktop (one of my
> > > photos with media icons superimposed) does not
> load.
> > > The bars top and
> > > bottom with their icons load normally leaving a
> > > black screen.
> > > To correct this I have to reboot probably twice
> and
> > > some times three
> > > times - this morning two reboots.
> > > The loader must be skipping an instruction
> > > intermittently. Please, can
> > > anyone offer a cure? I would hope not to be
> > > wasting time like this in
> > > future.
> > >
> > > "Peteralchemist"
> > >
> > If your not using Hardy KDE4.1 your issue is
> probably
> > not related to the long running thread.
> >
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
> >

> do you have the compisiting effects turned on? try
> turning them off
If we're talking about the same thing, the Compiz
Desktop Effects is ticked on "No Effects". I had
played around with Compiz(first time) and didn't
remember that I left if at default with no effects.
Hope that's what you meant,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Ulin the Tech Mage 08-22-2008 08:36 PM

Desktop not loading

On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 13:34 -0700, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- Ulin the Tech Mage <ulinthetechmage@hit-techs.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 12:41 -0700, Leonard
> > Chatagnier wrote:

> > the

> > the
> > load.
> > and

> > > If your not using Hardy KDE4.1 your issue is
> > probably
> > > not related to the long running thread.
> > >
> > > Leonard Chatagnier
> > > lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
> > >

> > do you have the compisiting effects turned on? try
> > turning them off
> If we're talking about the same thing, the Compiz
> Desktop Effects is ticked on "No Effects". I had
> played around with Compiz(first time) and didn't
> remember that I left if at default with no effects.
> Hope that's what you meant,
>

> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

if i remember correctly in the kde 4 series, kwin has builting
compostiting effects without compiz

Vinson Carrethers 08-22-2008 08:46 PM

Desktop not loading

Ulin the Tech Mage 08-22-2008 08:59 PM

Desktop not loading

On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 14:46 -0600, Vinson Carrethers wrote:

in synamptic:
edit > mark packages by task> select either Kubuntu Desktop or Kubuntu
KDE 4 desktop

Leonard Chatagnier 08-22-2008 09:05 PM

Desktop not loading

wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 13:34 -0700, Leonard
> Chatagnier wrote:
> > --- Ulin the Tech Mage
> <ulinthetechmage@hit-techs.com>
> > wrote:

> > > the
> If I

> Ubuntu
> > > the
> not
> > > load.
> leaving a
> twice
> > > and
> be

> > > probably

> > > do you have the compisiting effects turned on?
> try
> > > turning them off
> > If we're talking about the same thing, the Compiz
> > Desktop Effects is ticked on "No Effects". I had
> > played around with Compiz(first time) and didn't
> > remember that I left if at default with no
> effects.
> > Hope that's what you meant,
> >

> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
> >

> if i remember correctly in the kde 4 series, kwin
> has builting
> compostiting effects without compiz

I found this:
/$HOME/.kde4/.kde4.old/x-kde4-x/share/config/kwinrc
That had [compositing] Enabled=true and changed to
false, saved, killed X and logged in again. Still no
desktop but thanks for the suggestion. There were more
files with kwin* but didn't check all as this seemed
to be the one. Hey, I think we just highjacked a
thread. Twice this month for me and didn't realize it
until just now. Any further comments let's do it off
list, please. Thanks

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net