Old 08-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Default Desktop not loading

--- Vinson Carrethers <imlaidbac@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ulin the Tech Mage wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 13:34 -0700, Leonard
> Chatagnier wrote:
>

> > if i remember correctly in the kde 4 series, kwin
> has builting
> > compostiting effects without compiz
> >

> I'm a newbie and moved from kubuntu discussions to
> ubuntu because ubuntu uses
> Gnome as default. When I installed ubuntu 8.04 from
> CD, I don't remember having
> a choice to get KDE3 or 4.
>
> Am I missing something here?

If you want the updated kde v4.1 you'll need to add
the following to your "software sources" or to
/etc/apt/sources.list:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu

But be warned, I'm the guy having trouble with my
desktop and show desktop widget or plasmoid as it's
called. If you don't mind a buggy new release and
like the eye candy then go ahead, the graphics are
great. Have Fun,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-25-2008, 04:32 PM
NoOp

On 08/22/2008 10:40 AM, Peter Baily wrote:
> I do not know whether my problem is related to the long running thread
> of correspondence about desktop problems. If I have missed something,
> my apologies.
>
> Regularly - and again today- when I start Ubuntu the desktop (one of my
> photos with media icons superimposed) does not load. The bars top and
> bottom with their icons load normally leaving a black screen.
> To correct this I have to reboot probably twice and some times three
> times - this morning two reboots.
> The loader must be skipping an instruction intermittently. Please, can
> anyone offer a cure? I would hope not to be wasting time like this in
> future.
>
> "Peteralchemist"

It will be helpful if: 1) you tell us what version of Ubuntu you are
running (7.10, 8.04, 8.04.1 etc), 2) what desktop environment you are
using (gnome, kde, xcfe, etc), and 3) what the image type is.

Assuming you are running the standard gnome desktop environment:

1. Check your backgrounds xml file (~/.gnome2/backgrounds.xml - open the
file in the text editor) and see if your wallpaper pattern shows the
full path to the image. It should look something like this:

<wallpaper deleted="false">
<name>GNOME Curves</name>

<filename>/usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/gnome/branded/GNOME-Curves.png</filename>
<options>zoom</options>
<shade_type>solid</shade_type>
<pcolor>#76848F</pcolor>
<scolor>#dab082</scolor>
</wallpaper>

2. Check your ~/.xsession-errors file (use the text editor or from a
terminal: cat ~/.xsession-errors) to see if you can spot anything
obvious that may relate the the image not loading.