Old 08-22-2008, 02:41 PM
"Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk"

Default df does not show free space

2008/8/22 Colin Brace <cb@lim.nl>:

> What's up with the 'df' command in 8.04? It no longer displays the free
> space of the OS partitions.

It works for me, for / and /home mounted using UUID.

--
Marcin Kowalczyk
qrczak@knm.org.pl

Old 08-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Rashkae

Colin Brace wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What's up with the 'df' command in 8.04? It no longer displays the free
> space of the OS partitions. For example:
>
> $ df -h
> varrun 886M 128K 886M 1% /var/run
> varlock 886M 0 886M 0% /var/lock
> udev 886M 68K 886M 1% /dev
> devshm 886M 0 886M 0% /dev/shm
> lrm 886M 39M 848M 5%
> /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/volatile
> /dev/sda9 119G 590M 113G 1% /home/colin/shared
>
> There is a bug report in launchpad, from more than a year ago (!), which
> appears to document this, indicating that it is a problem with partitions
> mounted using UUIDs. This does indeed still appear to be the case, since in
> the example above, /dev/sda9 is mounted using LABEL and disk space for this
> particular partition is indeed displayed correctly.
>
> Thanks (and sorry for the empty message a minute ago; pilot error).

Umm, you only have one filesystem there, /dev/sda9

The others are all 'virtual' filesystems. So I'm really not
understanding what your problem is.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Rashkae

Rashkae wrote:
> Colin Brace wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> What's up with the 'df' command in 8.04? It no longer displays the free
>> space of the OS partitions. For example:
>>
>> $ df -h
>> Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> varrun 886M 128K 886M 1% /var/run
>> varlock 886M 0 886M 0% /var/lock
>> udev 886M 68K 886M 1% /dev
>> devshm 886M 0 886M 0% /dev/shm
>> lrm 886M 39M 848M 5%
>> /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/volatile
>> /dev/sda9 119G 590M 113G 1% /home/colin/shared
>>
>> There is a bug report in launchpad, from more than a year ago (!), which
>> appears to document this, indicating that it is a problem with partitions
>> mounted using UUIDs. This does indeed still appear to be the case, since in
>> the example above, /dev/sda9 is mounted using LABEL and disk space for this
>> particular partition is indeed displayed correctly.
>>
>> Thanks (and sorry for the empty message a minute ago; pilot error).
>>

> Umm, you only have one filesystem there, /dev/sda9
>
> The others are all 'virtual' filesystems. So I'm really not
> understanding what your problem is.

Sigh, NM, I see it now, no root.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Colin Brace

Rashkae-2 wrote:

> Sigh, NM, I see it now, no root.

Exactly.

Just now, I used e2label to give /dev/sda1, my root partition, the label
"ubuntu-root". I then changed the fstab entry to use LABEL instead of UUID,
like this:

# /dev/sda1
#UUID=22798b82-10e7-4e60-9758-9ae20dba60d7 / ext3
relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
LABEL=ubuntu-root / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1

and rebooted. It now shows up properly:

$ df -h
/dev/sda1 7.8G 3.6G 3.9G 49% /
varrun 886M 124K 886M 1% /var/run
varlock 886M 0 886M 0% /var/lock
udev 886M 68K 886M 1% /dev
devshm 886M 12K 886M 1% /dev/shm
lrm 886M 39M 848M 5%
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/volatile

Something is obviously (still) broken somewhere...

-----
Colin Brace
Amsterdam
http://lim.nl

Old 08-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Rashkae

Colin Brace wrote:

> Rashkae-2 wrote:
>> Sigh, NM, I see it now, no root.
>>

> Exactly.
>
> Just now, I used e2label to give /dev/sda1, my root partition, the label
> "ubuntu-root". I then changed the fstab entry to use LABEL instead of UUID,
> like this:
>
> # /dev/sda1
> #UUID=22798b82-10e7-4e60-9758-9ae20dba60d7 / ext3
> relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
> LABEL=ubuntu-root / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
>
> and rebooted. It now shows up properly:
>
> $ df -h
> /dev/sda1 7.8G 3.6G 3.9G 49% /
> varrun 886M 124K 886M 1% /var/run
> varlock 886M 0 886M 0% /var/lock
> udev 886M 68K 886M 1% /dev
> devshm 886M 12K 886M 1% /dev/shm
> lrm 886M 39M 848M 5%
> /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/volatile
>
> Something is obviously (still) broken somewhere...
>
> -----
> Colin Brace
> Amsterdam
> http://lim.nl

Can you give us the contents of your fstab as well as /proc/mounts
/etc/mtab? (err, you'll have to revert the fstab so we can see it
broken) This problem doesn't appear to be universal by any means.

And bare with me for this train of thought. have you ever experimented
with xfs filesystem on your root partition?

Old 08-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Florian Diesch

"Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk" <qrczak@knm.org.pl> wrote:

> 2008/8/22 Colin Brace <cb@lim.nl>:
>
>> What's up with the 'df' command in 8.04? It no longer displays the free
>> space of the OS partitions.
>
> It works for me, for / and /home mounted using UUID.

No problem here, too (Ubuntu 8.04, coreutils 6.10-3ubuntu2):

$ df
Dateisystem 1K‚??Bl√∂cke Benutzt Verf√ľgbar Ben% Eingeh√§ngt auf
/dev/sdb3 9427328 7933652 1018556 89% /
varrun 578388 184 578204 1% /var/run
varlock 578388 0 578388 0% /var/lock
udev 578388 68 578320 1% /dev
devshm 578388 972 577416 1% /dev/shm
lrm 578388 39760 538628 7% /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/volatile
/dev/sdb4 101086 53647 42220 56% /boot
/dev/sdb1 143422676 124914436 18508240 88% /home
gvfs-fuse-daemon 9427328 7933652 1018556 89% /home/diesch/.gvfs
/dev/scd0 5226870 5226870 0 100% /media/cdrom0

$ grep -A1 sda3 /etc/fstab
# /dev/sda3
UUID=b88578c4-b512-4fe2-a5b6-a63b74445cfc / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 08-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Colin Brace

Rashkae-2 wrote:

> Can you give us the contents of your fstab as well as /proc/mounts
> /etc/mtab? (err, you'll have to revert the fstab so we can see it
> broken) This problem doesn't appear to be universal by any means.
>
> And bare with me for this train of thought. have you ever experimented
> with xfs filesystem on your root partition?

Rashkae, I reverted my fstab but I am having difficulty reproducing the
problem now.

What I did discover though was the the fstab entry for the root partion had
an *incorrect* UUID. When I used tune2fs to determine the correct value and
entered that in fstab, then du worked as it should.

What I don't understand at this point is how my root partition was getting
mounted at all. At some point earlier in the boot process, does root get
mounted in another way?

I haven't used XFS on this or another other system of mine.

-----
Colin Brace
Amsterdam
http://lim.nl

Old 08-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Joris Dobbelsteen

Colin Brace wrote, On 23-Aug-2008 10:58:

> Rashkae-2 wrote:
>> Can you give us the contents of your fstab as well as /proc/mounts
>> /etc/mtab? (err, you'll have to revert the fstab so we can see it
>> broken) This problem doesn't appear to be universal by any means.
>>
>> And bare with me for this train of thought. have you ever experimented
>> with xfs filesystem on your root partition?
>
> Rashkae, I reverted my fstab but I am having difficulty reproducing the
> problem now.
>
> What I did discover though was the the fstab entry for the root partion had
> an *incorrect* UUID. When I used tune2fs to determine the correct value and
> entered that in fstab, then du worked as it should.
>
> What I don't understand at this point is how my root partition was getting
> mounted at all. At some point earlier in the boot process, does root get
> mounted in another way?
>
> I haven't used XFS on this or another other system of mine.

Check out your bootloader script (/boot/grub/grub.lst (?)). It seems to
be passed as a kernel parameter in general, since you need root (/etc &
some friends) to get your system up and running. Perhaps this mounts it,
which is later overridden by fstab, but in case of failure keeps the
original mount.

There MIGHT be a small chance that this is actually indicated in the
logs somewhere?

If removing the root partition from your fstab retains a working system,
this seems to be a possible cause.

- Joris

Old 08-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Florian Diesch

Colin Brace <cb@lim.nl> wrote:

> Rashkae-2 wrote:
>>
>> Can you give us the contents of your fstab as well as /proc/mounts
>> /etc/mtab? (err, you'll have to revert the fstab so we can see it
>> broken) This problem doesn't appear to be universal by any means.
>>
>> And bare with me for this train of thought. have you ever experimented
>> with xfs filesystem on your root partition?
>
> Rashkae, I reverted my fstab but I am having difficulty reproducing the
> problem now.
>
> What I did discover though was the the fstab entry for the root partion had
> an *incorrect* UUID. When I used tune2fs to determine the correct value and
> entered that in fstab, then du worked as it should.
>
> What I don't understand at this point is how my root partition was getting
> mounted at all. At some point earlier in the boot process, does root get
> mounted in another way?

The kernel mounts / read-only before it starts init. It gets the
device from the kernel parameter "root", usually set in the boot
manager. init than remounts / read-write.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 08-26-2008, 12:44 AM
Derek Broughton

Florian Diesch wrote:

> Colin Brace <cb@lim.nl> wrote:

>> What I don't understand at this point is how my root partition was
>> getting mounted at all. At some point earlier in the boot process, does
>> root get mounted in another way?
>
> The kernel mounts / read-only before it starts init. It gets the
> device from the kernel parameter "root", usually set in the boot
> manager. init than remounts / read-write.

Yes, but again, it must have been using a UUID (it should because that's the
way Ubuntu builds it the first time), or it would have ended up mounting
the wrong (or no) partition. That's why we have UUID :-)
--
derek