FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-22-2008, 12:58 PM
oneman
 
Default Wireless works, but no route to host

Hi All,



I have Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy amd64 installed on a HP Compaq 6910p. It has
a wireless controller that shows up in lspci like 'Broadcom
Corporation BCM4312 802.11a/b/g (rev 02)'. I installed and activated
the non-free driver and it can establish a connection with my
wireless AP (an airport extreme, in bridged mode), gets an ip ,
gateway etc. through DHCP.

After that however it doesn't function.
- I can't ping hosts or reach the internet.
- It's not a DNS problem since using IP's to reach hosts doesn't work
either.
- I can see some traffic going in and out in the Networktool
- when I switch to wired networking, connected to the same AP, it
works fine.


I'm not sure where to look. Googleing didn't result in anything
usefull. Any advice on where to look?


Thx,


Peter

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-22-2008, 01:21 PM
"Mark Haney"
 
Default Wireless works, but no route to host

oneman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>
>
> I have Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy amd64 installed on a HP Compaq 6910p. It has
> a wireless controller that shows up in lspci like 'Broadcom
> Corporation BCM4312 802.11a/b/g (rev 02)'. I installed and activated
> the non-free driver and it can establish a connection with my
> wireless AP (an airport extreme, in bridged mode), gets an ip ,
> gateway etc. through DHCP.
>

>
> I'm not sure where to look. Googleing didn't result in anything
> usefull. Any advice on where to look?
>

You didn't really tell us what the signal strength is between the card
and the AP.

It could also be that the protocol used isn't enabled on the AP, (I
usually turn 802.11b off).

What kind of traffic are you actually seeing on the card? What does
tcpdump or wireshark show? Those packets may be nothing more than the
wireless card send out requests for a good AP protocol. Is the AP
secured? Do you have the correct encryption passphrase?

I mean, it really could be anything.


--
Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar


Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-22-2008, 07:47 PM
oneman
 
Default Wireless works, but no route to host

On 22-aug-2008, at 15:21, Mark Haney wrote:

> oneman wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>>
>>
>> I have Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy amd64 installed on a HP Compaq 6910p. It has
>> a wireless controller that shows up in lspci like 'Broadcom
>> Corporation BCM4312 802.11a/b/g (rev 02)'. I installed and activated
>> the non-free driver and it can establish a connection with my
>> wireless AP (an airport extreme, in bridged mode), gets an ip ,
>> gateway etc. through DHCP.
>>
>
>>
>> I'm not sure where to look. Googleing didn't result in anything
>> usefull. Any advice on where to look?
>>
>
> You didn't really tell us what the signal strength is between the card
> and the AP.

It's about 90% at least, that's what the systemtray icon tells me.

>
> It could also be that the protocol used isn't enabled on the AP, (I
> usually turn 802.11b off).
>
If that were the case, I would not be able to get dhcp giving out ip,
gateway etc

> What kind of traffic are you actually seeing on the card? What does
> tcpdump or wireshark show? Those packets may be nothing more than the
> wireless card send out requests for a good AP protocol. Is the AP
> secured? Do you have the correct encryption passphrase?

It's not the connection to the AP itself, that seems to work. The
connection is there, the dhcp server can be reached. The dhcp server
is not the AP itself but on the router behind it.
>
> I mean, it really could be anything.

The problem as far as I can tell is that the applications trying to
use the connection somehow fail to do so.

So, why could it be that my applications like ping or the browser
don't actually use an active network connection? There's no other
connection, the cable is disconnected. Could it be that it fails to
somehow 'publish' this new active interface to the applications?


Thx,

Peter
>



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-23-2008, 05:20 AM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Wireless works, but no route to host

oneman wrote:
> The problem as far as I can tell is that the applications trying to
> use the connection somehow fail to do so.
>
> So, why could it be that my applications like ping or the browser
> don't actually use an active network connection? There's no other
> connection, the cable is disconnected. Could it be that it fails to
> somehow 'publish' this new active interface to the applications?

Can you ping your router by IP address? What is the error message if that
doesn't work?

Can you connect to your router configuration page (if there is one) via IP
address? What is the error message if that doesn't work?

Although the cable is disconnected there might be still a default route
entry via your cable interface. Check the output of the "route -n"
command. There should be only one line starting with "0.0.0.0" which is
the default route.

Other than that, could there be a firewall somewhere? Please check your
router configuration, there might be filter rules which prevent your
machine from accessing the internet.


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Knapp
 
Default Wireless works, but no route to host

It is very hard to tell without more details but I get this sort of
thing when I have misstyped the wep or wpa2 password.

--
Douglas E Knapp

http://sf-journey-creations.wikispot.org/Front_Page

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-23-2008, 08:44 PM
oneman
 
Default Wireless works, but no route to host

On 23-aug-2008, at 7:20, Nils Kassube wrote:

> oneman wrote:
>> The problem as far as I can tell is that the applications trying to
>> use the connection somehow fail to do so.
>>
>> So, why could it be that my applications like ping or the browser
>> don't actually use an active network connection? There's no other
>> connection, the cable is disconnected. Could it be that it fails to
>> somehow 'publish' this new active interface to the applications?
>
> Can you ping your router by IP address? What is the error message
> if that
> doesn't work?

I get 'Destination host unreachable'

>
> Can you connect to your router configuration page (if there is one)
> via IP
> address? What is the error message if that doesn't work?

No, I get the message 'can't establish connection to the server at
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

>
> Although the cable is disconnected there might be still a default
> route
> entry via your cable interface. Check the output of the "route -n"
> command. There should be only one line starting with "0.0.0.0"
> which is
> the default route.

That seems to be ok and pointing to the wireless network interface:

Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
0.0.0.0 <router's ip> 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 wlan0

>
> Other than that, could there be a firewall somewhere? Please check
> your
> router configuration, there might be filter rules which prevent your
> machine from accessing the internet.

No, the router is ok. I can use the wireless AP from another laptop
and I'm not using any kind of mac address filtering. The laptop does
get access to the same router when using a cable to connect it to the
AP's switch ports.

>
>
> Nils
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/
> listinfo/ubuntu-users


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-24-2008, 12:24 PM
oneman
 
Default Wireless works, but no route to host

On 23-aug-2008, at 22:44, oneman wrote:

>
> On 23-aug-2008, at 7:20, Nils Kassube wrote:
>
>> oneman wrote:
>>> The problem as far as I can tell is that the applications trying to
>>> use the connection somehow fail to do so.
>>>
>>> So, why could it be that my applications like ping or the browser
>>> don't actually use an active network connection? There's no other
>>> connection, the cable is disconnected. Could it be that it fails to
>>> somehow 'publish' this new active interface to the applications?
>>
>> Can you ping your router by IP address? What is the error message
>> if that
>> doesn't work?
>
> I get 'Destination host unreachable'
>
>>
>> Can you connect to your router configuration page (if there is one)
>> via IP
>> address? What is the error message if that doesn't work?
>
> No, I get the message 'can't establish connection to the server at
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>
>>
>> Although the cable is disconnected there might be still a default
>> route
>> entry via your cable interface. Check the output of the "route -n"
>> command. There should be only one line starting with "0.0.0.0"
>> which is
>> the default route.
>
> That seems to be ok and pointing to the wireless network interface:
>
> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
> 0.0.0.0 <router's ip> 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 wlan0
>
>>
>> Other than that, could there be a firewall somewhere? Please check
>> your
>> router configuration, there might be filter rules which prevent your
>> machine from accessing the internet.
>
> No, the router is ok. I can use the wireless AP from another laptop
> and I'm not using any kind of mac address filtering. The laptop does
> get access to the same router when using a cable to connect it to the
> AP's switch ports.
>
I've made a dump with wireshark, it can be found at http://
webdisk.onemanifest.net/temp/wireshark_dump.pcap

It seems the inteface is connected, it sees network communication
from others. But it keeps doing ARP requests for the location of the
router at 192.168.1.1. I don't understand why it can't get an answer
since no other device on this network ahs any issues with the router.

the laptop's MAC address is 00:00:00_1a:73:e4 and it's ip is
192.168.210 (by dhcp)

My network knowledge is far to limited to make anything more out of
this. Maybe someone else sees something obviously wrong in this file?

Thx,

Peter

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Wireless works, but no route to host

oneman wrote:
> On 23-aug-2008, at 22:44, oneman wrote:
> I've made a dump with wireshark, it can be found at http://
> webdisk.onemanifest.net/temp/wireshark_dump.pcap

Could you do the same dump again with the DHCP negotiation included?

> It seems the inteface is connected, it sees network communication
> from others. But it keeps doing ARP requests for the location of the
> router at 192.168.1.1. I don't understand why it can't get an answer
> since no other device on this network ahs any issues with the router.

Except there are 2 HTTPS frames from the router to the laptop but no reply
from the laptop to the router. I'm not sure if there should be such a
reply though. Is the router config page in HTTPS and these are remains
from the previous attempt to reach that page? Anyway, the problem of not
getting an ARP reply from the router is quite strange. Do you see
something similar on the other laptop which works on the wireless port?

As far as I understand it, there are 3 ways to handle Broadcom chipsets (I
don't have Broadcom hardware). The b43 and bcm43xx kernel drivers and
ndiswrapper with the Windwos XP driver. Maybe you should try one of the
ways to access your wireless port.


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:38 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org