Old 08-22-2008, 05:53 AM
Knapp

Default how to verify installation?

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 6:57 AM, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Randall J. Parr <RParr@temporalarts.com> wrote:
>
>> How do I do the equivalent verification (or something similar) on a
>> Debian/Ubuntu deb based system?
>
> You probably want/need the "debsums" package. From there, you can run
> it to check the md5sums of all the files/packages that are installed
> on your system.
>
> I've had to do exactly that due to some issues I have had recently -
> on a brand new SATA Western Digital drive about a month ago, on a
> brand new AMD64 system I put together (with some help). It may have
> had bizarre fs issues but it seems those have been solved, hopefully.
> There were some times when I downloaded some files and I couldn't get
> the md5sums to match expected values (for instance large ISOs and rar
> sessions would unexpectedly fail, or give wrong results).
>
> Seems to be better now (knock wood), although this system has been
> known to run hot (>62 deg C, according to 'acpi -V' when running
> something like stellarium for an extended period of time along with
> running setiathome/boinc).
>
> Anyway, try debsums. The packages that fail will show up as "FAIL" in
> the log. It'll write a fairly large logfile - you can pipe or tee it,
> and then grep for FAIL and then go through that list and do aptitude
> reinstall on those packages.
>

>> Thanks
>> R.Parr, RHCE, Temporal Arts
>> Portland, OR U.S.A.

You might want to find a hd tester program too. I don't know of any to
recommend but I know they exist.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 08-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Mike McMullin

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 17:39 -0400, Brian McKee wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Randall J. Parr <RParr@temporalarts.com> wrote:
> > On an RPM based system I can verify the installation against the package
> > files and find out which files are missing or different than in the rpm
> > file.
> >
> > How do I do the equivalent verification (or something similar) on a
> > Debian/Ubuntu deb based system?
>
> I think you are looking for 'debsums' which is a separate program.
> I have no experience with it.
> I wonder how useful that is considering the number of files that are
> changed/added after installation of a package though.

On an RPM based system rpm -q <packageanme> tells you what version is
installed, if it is indeed installed, you can also get dependancy info
et al. Surely Debian based systems have a toll for this sort of thing?

Old 08-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Karl Larsen

Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008, Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>> Randall J. Parr wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Ubuntu hardy system which appears to have developed some bad
>>> blocks and/or file corruption on an SATA drive.
>>>

>> You have a SATA Hard Drive that is bad.
>>

> Why?

I have never lost a single file or had bad blocks on any of my hard
drives. Your going to say it could be that the file system is just
bad. I use ext3 and have never had a bad block ever.

This guy wants to find out how many files are lost. One file is
enough for me to declare a hard drive bad.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Robert Holtzman wrote:

>>> You have a SATA Hard Drive that is bad.
>>>
>> Why?
>>

> I have never lost a single file or had bad blocks on any of my hard
> drives. Your going to say it could be that the file system is just
> bad. I use ext3 and have never had a bad block ever.
>
> This guy wants to find out how many files are lost. One file is
> enough for me to declare a hard drive bad.

I havne't followed this one but from this message, if you're in the
"playing it safe" school, Karl may have a point BUT it is possible that
something else happened.

I would strongly suggest you check out your drive's SMART status. See if
you can use the SMART tools for linux to see if there's an alarm for the
drive in its' logs.

If you have more than a "couple" bad blocks, you do have a good chance
that you're going to suffer a drive failure. Get another drive, make a
good backup. Once you're losing files and you can't tie it to a
particular event like a power failure, I don't trust drives like that
anymore. If you want to try to continue using it I would get a USB
enclosure and another drive and stick it into that enclosure to use as a
portable drive, install a new drive into the machine, and reformat your
old one and see what it does.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Bart Silverstrim

David Fox wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Randall J. Parr <RParr@temporalarts.com> wrote:
>
>> How do I do the equivalent verification (or something similar) on a
>> Debian/Ubuntu deb based system?
>
> You probably want/need the "debsums" package. From there, you can run
> it to check the md5sums of all the files/packages that are installed
> on your system.
>
> I've had to do exactly that due to some issues I have had recently -
> on a brand new SATA Western Digital drive about a month ago, on a
> brand new AMD64 system I put together (with some help). It may have
> had bizarre fs issues but it seems those have been solved, hopefully.
> There were some times when I downloaded some files and I couldn't get
> the md5sums to match expected values (for instance large ISOs and rar
> sessions would unexpectedly fail, or give wrong results).
>
> Seems to be better now (knock wood), although this system has been
> known to run hot (>62 deg C, according to 'acpi -V' when running
> something like stellarium for an extended period of time along with
> running setiathome/boinc).
>
> Anyway, try debsums. The packages that fail will show up as "FAIL" in
> the log. It'll write a fairly large logfile - you can pipe or tee it,
> and then grep for FAIL and then go through that list and do aptitude
> reinstall on those packages.

Reading this also reminded me that your drive could be suffering from a
loose cable or card, or possibly memory seating issues...something
became corrupt and was written to the drive so it's *possible* that
reseating things will help the issue.

I'd still keep a really recent backup for awhile and consider getting
another drive to replace it, though.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:34 PM
David Vincent

Old 08-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Karl Larsen wrote:

>>> You have a SATA Hard Drive that is bad.
>>>

>> Why?
>>

> I have never lost a single file or had bad blocks on any of my hard
> drives. Your going to say it could be that the file system is just
> bad. I use ext3 and have never had a bad block ever.
>
> This guy wants to find out how many files are lost. One file is
> enough for me to declare a hard drive bad.

I'll buy that.

--
Bob Holtzman
"Next to hydrogen the most abundant thing

Old 08-23-2008, 04:57 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Karl Larsen wrote:
>> I have never lost a single file or had bad blocks on any of my hard
>> drives. Your going to say it could be that the file system is just
>> bad. I use ext3 and have never had a bad block ever.
>>
>> This guy wants to find out how many files are lost. One file is
>> enough for me to declare a hard drive bad.
>
> I'll buy that.

Yep - and no system tool can report on your own documents and settings etc...

FWIW, I usually try to do something that will write to every sector of
a new (to me) drive before I start using it. badblocks read-write, dd
if=/dev/zero or spinrite to exercise the whole disk. Gives the disk
itself a chance to review every sector for errors, and warms it up
nicely to see if that causes problems too.

Brian