Old 08-22-2008, 02:15 AM
"Michael "TheZorch" Haney"

Default URLs in Thunderbird

URL links in Thunderbird don't open in Firefox 3 when I click on them.
They don't open at all actually. I have to manually copy and paste the
link.

My current system is Kubuntu 8.04 fully updated.
Thunderbird is version 2.0.0.16 (20080724).
Firefox is version 3.0.1

What I've done so far:
Went to System Settings and Default Programs selected Thunderbird as my
default email client and Firefox as my default web browser for opening
URLs, but this didn't help matters.

Any suggestions?

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 08-22-2008, 06:39 AM
David Curtis

Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:
> URL links in Thunderbird don't open in Firefox 3 when I click on them.
> They don't open at all actually. I have to manually copy and paste the
> link.
>
> My current system is Kubuntu 8.04 fully updated.
> Thunderbird is version 2.0.0.16 (20080724).
> Firefox is version 3.0.1
>
> What I've done so far:
> Went to System Settings and Default Programs selected Thunderbird as my
> default email client and Firefox as my default web browser for opening
> URLs, but this didn't help matters.
>
> Any suggestions?

In the Firefox menu Edit>>Preferences>>Advanced there is a System
Default check box and a 'Check Now' button.

I have no idea how it works/cooperates with desktop enviroments, but
it's worth a try.

Dave

Old 08-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Karl Larsen

Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:
> URL links in Thunderbird don't open in Firefox 3 when I click on them.
> They don't open at all actually. I have to manually copy and paste the
> link.
>
> My current system is Kubuntu 8.04 fully updated.
> Thunderbird is version 2.0.0.16 (20080724).
> Firefox is version 3.0.1
>
> What I've done so far:
> Went to System Settings and Default Programs selected Thunderbird as my
> default email client and Firefox as my default web browser for opening
> URLs, but this didn't help matters.
>
> Any suggestions?

You did the right things. I am not a Ku user so there might be
something special there. I use Gnome and all of that works just fine.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-23-2008, 06:47 AM
"Michael "TheZorch" Haney"

David Curtis wrote:
> In the Firefox menu Edit>>Preferences>>Advanced there is a System
> Default check box and a 'Check Now' button.
>
> I have no idea how it works/cooperates with desktop enviroments, but
> it's worth a try.
>
> Dave
Didn't help. No link in Thunderbird will open Firefox nor will they
load when Firefox is open either. I must manually copy and paste them
into the Address Bar. Does anyone else know what to do here?

Old 08-23-2008, 03:55 PM
William Witt

On Saturday 23 August 2008 02:47:08 Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:

> David Curtis wrote:

> > In the Firefox menu Edit>>Preferences>>Advanced there is a System

> > Default check box and a 'Check Now' button.

> > I have no idea how it works/cooperates with desktop enviroments, but

> > it's worth a try.

> > Dave

> Didn't help. No link in Thunderbird will open Firefox nor will they

> load when Firefox is open either. I must manually copy and paste them

> into the Address Bar. Does anyone else know what to do here?

> --

> Michael "TheZorch" Haney

> thezorch@gmail.com

> http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home

> SypeName: thezorch

> AIM: thezorch@gmail.com

I don't use thunderbird any more, but I do remember this problem from I did. I seems mine cleard up after installing some gnome apps. .But take a look here it appears simpler than installing ubuntu-desktop to get it working (note the correction in the second comment):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3356507#post3356507

Will