Old 08-21-2008, 09:00 PM
"Randall J. Parr"

Default how to verify installation?

I have a Ubuntu hardy system which appears to have developed some bad
blocks and/or file corruption on an SATA drive.

I have used fsck to fix the problem but it found a couple files with
multiply-chained blocks.

Now the disk is running fine but I am concerned a have a couple bad
and/or missing files.

On an RPM based system I can verify the installation against the package
files and find out which files are missing or different than in the rpm
file.

How do I do the equivalent verification (or something similar) on a
Debian/Ubuntu deb based system?

Thanks
R.Parr, RHCE, Temporal Arts
Portland, OR U.S.A.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Karl Larsen

Randall J. Parr wrote:
> I have a Ubuntu hardy system which appears to have developed some bad
> blocks and/or file corruption on an SATA drive.

You have a SATA Hard Drive that is bad.

> I have used fsck to fix the problem but it found a couple files with
> multiply-chained blocks.

So what? Check it in a week and it will not even come up!
> Now the disk is running fine but I am concerned a have a couple bad
> and/or missing files.

How do you know the disk is running fine? You just said you have file
curruption.

> On an RPM based system I can verify the installation against the package
> files and find out which files are missing or different than in the rpm
> file.
>
> How do I do the equivalent verification (or something similar) on a
> Debian/Ubuntu deb based system?
>
> Thanks
> R.Parr, RHCE, Temporal Arts
> Portland, OR U.S.A.
>
> What I would do is buy a new hard drive and rsync or copy your Ubuntu to that.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-21-2008, 09:39 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Randall J. Parr <RParr@temporalarts.com> wrote:
> On an RPM based system I can verify the installation against the package
> files and find out which files are missing or different than in the rpm
> file.
>
> How do I do the equivalent verification (or something similar) on a
> Debian/Ubuntu deb based system?

I think you are looking for 'debsums' which is a separate program.
I have no experience with it.
I wonder how useful that is considering the number of files that are
changed/added after installation of a package though.

HTH
Brian

Old 08-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

> I have a Ubuntu hardy system which appears to have developed some bad
> blocks and/or file corruption on an SATA drive.
>
> I have used fsck to fix the problem but it found a couple files with
> multiply-chained blocks.
>
> Now the disk is running fine but I am concerned a have a couple bad
> and/or missing files.
>
> On an RPM based system I can verify the installation against the package
> files and find out which files are missing or different than in the rpm
> file.
>
> How do I do the equivalent verification (or something similar) on a
> Debian/Ubuntu deb based system?

Someone else said use debsums but left a caveat that if might not be usable after updating. I just ran it on my hardy kde 4.1 fully updated and it worked fine. Most of the output said OK, a few showed FAILED. Do "sudo debsums | grep FAILED" and only get the problem output. HTH,

Old 08-22-2008, 01:13 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008, Karl Larsen wrote:

> Randall J. Parr wrote:
>> I have a Ubuntu hardy system which appears to have developed some bad
>> blocks and/or file corruption on an SATA drive.
>>
> You have a SATA Hard Drive that is bad.

Why?

--
Bob Holtzman
"Next to hydrogen the most abundant thing

Old 08-22-2008, 04:57 AM
"David Fox"

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Randall J. Parr <RParr@temporalarts.com> wrote:

> How do I do the equivalent verification (or something similar) on a
> Debian/Ubuntu deb based system?

You probably want/need the "debsums" package. From there, you can run
it to check the md5sums of all the files/packages that are installed
on your system.

I've had to do exactly that due to some issues I have had recently -
on a brand new SATA Western Digital drive about a month ago, on a
brand new AMD64 system I put together (with some help). It may have
had bizarre fs issues but it seems those have been solved, hopefully.
There were some times when I downloaded some files and I couldn't get
the md5sums to match expected values (for instance large ISOs and rar
sessions would unexpectedly fail, or give wrong results).

Seems to be better now (knock wood), although this system has been
known to run hot (>62 deg C, according to 'acpi -V' when running
something like stellarium for an extended period of time along with
running setiathome/boinc).

Anyway, try debsums. The packages that fail will show up as "FAIL" in
the log. It'll write a fairly large logfile - you can pipe or tee it,
and then grep for FAIL and then go through that list and do aptitude
reinstall on those packages.