Old 08-21-2008, 03:49 AM
Rich Carreiro

Default Problem upgrading from 6.06.2 LTS to 8.04.1 LTS

I'm trying to upgrade from 6.06.2LTS to 8.04.1LTS. It's
a remote system, so I don't want to use update-manager.
I have dapper-updates activated and have installed
update-manager-core and have everything up to date.

When I run:
sudo do-release-upgrade -d
I get the errors about hash sum mismatches. Googling
on that I see I can just leave off the "-d".

But when I do that, I get the "Unable to calculate upgrade
message". I don't believe I have anything weird installed
(how can I tell?). What is the process for debugging this
to see what is preventing do-release-upgrade from
performing the upgrade?

Thanks!

--
Rich Carreiro rlcarr@rlcarr.com

Old 08-21-2008, 04:09 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- Rich Carreiro <rlcarr@rlcarr.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to upgrade from 6.06.2LTS to 8.04.1LTS.
> It's
> a remote system, so I don't want to use
> update-manager.
> I have dapper-updates activated and have installed
> update-manager-core and have everything up to date.
>
> When I run:
> sudo do-release-upgrade -d
> I get the errors about hash sum mismatches.
> Googling
> on that I see I can just leave off the "-d".
>
> But when I do that, I get the "Unable to calculate
> upgrade
> message". I don't believe I have anything weird
> installed
> (how can I tell?). What is the process for
> debugging this
> to see what is preventing do-release-upgrade from
> performing the upgrade?
>
> Thanks!

If I remember correctly, 6.06.2LTS is Dapper. Have you
changed your sources.list entries from dapper to the
next higher version. Sorry, I don't remember if it
gutsy or if there's another in between. If you go the
upgrade route you have to upgrade in sequence and
after fully upgrading each version which is a real
pain. Done it once but never again. Will hereafter
use the live CD or alternate CD iso and burn my own
now that I have a burner. Too bad you don't have that
option on the remote machine at least I don't know if
it's possible but suspect not. HTH,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Rich Carreiro

lenc5570@sbcglobal.net (Leonard Chatagnier) writes:

> If I remember correctly, 6.06.2LTS is Dapper. Have you
> changed your sources.list entries from dapper to the
> next higher version. Sorry, I don't remember if it
> gutsy or if there's another in between. If you go the
> upgrade route you have to upgrade in sequence and
> after fully upgrading each version which is a real
> pain.

(1) Going from 6.02.2LTS (Dapper) to 8.04.1LTS (Hardy)
is explicitly supported. Going from LTS to LTS
is an exception to the "must upgrade through each
intervening version" rule.
(2) One of the points of "do-upgrade-release" is that you
don't have to mess with sources.list -- the tool
does it for you (like when you use update-manager to
do a distribution upgrade).

--
Rich Carreiro rlcarr@rlcarr.com

Old 08-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- Rich Carreiro <rlcarr@rlcarr.com> wrote:

> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net (Leonard Chatagnier) writes:
>
> > If I remember correctly, 6.06.2LTS is Dapper. Have
> you
> > changed your sources.list entries from dapper to
> the
> > next higher version. Sorry, I don't remember if
> it
> > gutsy or if there's another in between. If you go
> the
> > upgrade route you have to upgrade in sequence and
> > after fully upgrading each version which is a real
> > pain.
>
> (1) Going from 6.02.2LTS (Dapper) to 8.04.1LTS
> (Hardy)
> is explicitly supported. Going from LTS to LTS
> is an exception to the "must upgrade through
> each
> intervening version" rule.
> (2) One of the points of "do-upgrade-release" is
> that you
> don't have to mess with sources.list -- the tool
> does it for you (like when you use
> update-manager to
> do a distribution upgrade).

I stand corrected and have learned something. Sorry
for the incorrect advice. Thanks for correcting me.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Florian Diesch

Rich Carreiro <rlcarr@rlcarr.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to upgrade from 6.06.2LTS to 8.04.1LTS. It's
> a remote system, so I don't want to use update-manager.
> I have dapper-updates activated and have installed
> update-manager-core and have everything up to date.
>
> When I run:
> sudo do-release-upgrade -d

This tries to upgrade to the latest devel release (i.e. 8.10) which is
not what you want.

> I get the errors about hash sum mismatches.

What's the exact error message?

> Googling on that I see I can just leave off the "-d".

You *have to* leave it off if you want 8.04

> But when I do that, I get the "Unable to calculate upgrade
> message". I don't believe I have anything weird installed
> (how can I tell?). What is the process for debugging this
> to see what is preventing do-release-upgrade from
> performing the upgrade?

Check that /etc/apt/sources.list has still the 6.06 repositories (and
nothing else), run "apt-get update" and try again. Id it still fails
please post the whole exact output.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 08-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Rich Carreiro

> > When I run:
> > sudo do-release-upgrade -d
>
> This tries to upgrade to the latest devel release (i.e. 8.10) which is
> not what you want.

Well, it would be nice if the offical docs didn't say
to put the "-d" in to do the upgrade to 8.04.1, then.

> > But when I do that, I get the "Unable to calculate upgrade
> > message". I don't believe I have anything weird installed
> > (how can I tell?). What is the process for debugging this
> > to see what is preventing do-release-upgrade from
> > performing the upgrade?
>
> Check that /etc/apt/sources.list has still the 6.06 repositories (and
> nothing else), run "apt-get update" and try again.

sources.list is fine. The problem is that I need to do
"do-release-upgrade -m desktop" (in my case), not just
"do-release-upgrade". (The machine in question is a remote,
headless machine that originally started at 5.04 years ago,
back before there was a server distribution and so is still
currently a "desktop" machine even though it's full of
server packages.)

However, I'm not going to upgrade yet, since there's a kernel
bug in the Gutsy 2.6.22-15 kernel and (applicable to me) also
in the Dapper 2.6.15-52 kernel that will case localedef to go
into an unkillable hang during the upgrade, leaving you in
a very bad state. (All the press (such as it is) is about about
the Gutsy kernel bug, but launchpad shows the same fix has been
committed to the Dapper kernel.

I'm waiting until the fix is incorporated and updates issued
and then atempt the upgrade.

--
Rich Carreiro rlcarr@rlcarr.com

Old 08-23-2008, 12:15 AM
Florian Diesch

Rich Carreiro <rlcarr@rlcarr.com> wrote:

>> > When I run:
>> > sudo do-release-upgrade -d
>>
>> This tries to upgrade to the latest devel release (i.e. 8.10) which is
>> not what you want.
>
> Well, it would be nice if the offical docs didn't say
> to put the "-d" in to do the upgrade to 8.04.1, then.

That's a bug. Mario Vukelic seem to take care about it.

>> > But when I do that, I get the "Unable to calculate upgrade
>> > message". I don't believe I have anything weird installed
>> > (how can I tell?). What is the process for debugging this
>> > to see what is preventing do-release-upgrade from
>> > performing the upgrade?
>>
>> Check that /etc/apt/sources.list has still the 6.06 repositories (and
>> nothing else), run "apt-get update" and try again.
>
> sources.list is fine. The problem is that I need to do
> "do-release-upgrade -m desktop" (in my case), not just
> "do-release-upgrade".

That should not cause any problem. It just changes the way the upgrade
works. Among others -m desktop makes sure that ubuntu-desktop is
installed.

> (The machine in question is a remote,
> headless machine that originally started at 5.04 years ago,
> back before there was a server distribution and so is still
> currently a "desktop" machine even though it's full of
> server packages.)

If you don't need the desktop packages just deinstall ubuntu-desktop
and all the packages you don't need anymore.

> However, I'm not going to upgrade yet, since there's a kernel
> bug in the Gutsy 2.6.22-15 kernel and (applicable to me) also
> in the Dapper 2.6.15-52 kernel that will case localedef to go
> into an unkillable hang during the upgrade, leaving you in
> a very bad state. (All the press (such as it is) is about about
> the Gutsy kernel bug, but launchpad shows the same fix has been
> committed to the Dapper kernel.
>
> I'm waiting until the fix is incorporated and updates issued
> and then atempt the upgrade.

If the machine is a important one you may want to clone it and try
the upgrade on a spare box first.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>