Old 08-21-2008, 02:45 AM
Derek Broughton

Default Installations

desmond@gobodo.org wrote:

> I cannot install software on my version of ubuntu i have been trying and
> it gives me an error about DKPG how do i fix it?

sudo
--
derek

Old 08-21-2008, 04:24 AM
"Mumia W."

On 08/20/2008 04:34 AM, desmond@gobodo.org wrote:
> I cannot install software on my version of ubuntu i have been trying and it
> gives me an error about DKPG how do i fix it?

Show us the exact error message you get from dpkg. I recommend using the
"script" command to record installation sessions; if you use "script,"
you can get an exact record of the commands you typed and the output
from dpkg and other installation programs.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:22 AM
Nils Kassube

Mumia W. wrote:
> On 08/20/2008 04:34 AM, desmond@gobodo.org wrote:
> > I cannot install software on my version of ubuntu i have been trying
> > and it gives me an error about DKPG how do i fix it?
>
> Show us the exact error message you get from dpkg. I recommend using
> the "script" command to record installation sessions; if you use
> "script," you can get an exact record of the commands you typed and
> the output from dpkg and other installation programs.

As the OP didn't write which program displayed the error message, it isn't
clear if script would help. That would only capture error message from
command line programs while many use synaptic and other graphical package
managers. Then there is still the option of using copy & paste or as a
last resort a digital camera (if available).

Nils

Old 08-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Derek Broughton

Nils Kassube wrote:

> As the OP didn't write which program displayed the error message, it isn't
> clear if script would help. That would only capture error message from
> command line programs while many use synaptic and other graphical package
> managers. Then there is still the option of using copy & paste or as a
> last resort a digital camera (if available).

What? Gnomoids don't have an equivalent of ksnapshot (screen capture)?
--
derek

Old 08-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Rashkae

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
>
>> As the OP didn't write which program displayed the error message, it isn't
>> clear if script would help. That would only capture error message from
>> command line programs while many use synaptic and other graphical package
>> managers. Then there is still the option of using copy & paste or as a
>> last resort a digital camera (if available).
>
> What? Gnomoids don't have an equivalent of ksnapshot (screen capture)?

Print Screen button to capture your desktop.

Alt-PrintScreen to grab the active window.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Derek Broughton

Rashkae wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Nils Kassube wrote:
>>
>>> As the OP didn't write which program displayed the error message, it
>>> isn't clear if script would help. That would only capture error message
>>> from command line programs while many use synaptic and other graphical
>>> package managers. Then there is still the option of using copy & paste
>>> or as a last resort a digital camera (if available).
>>
>> What? Gnomoids don't have an equivalent of ksnapshot (screen capture)?
>
> Print Screen button to capture your desktop.
>
> Alt-PrintScreen to grab the active window.

Whew! It seemed like a rather glaring omission :-)
--
derek