Old 08-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Default [lde4.1}Desk top missing

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

----- Original Message ----

Renaming .config, .gnome2, .gnome2_private and .kde4 didn't help at all. Sure thought it would until I tried it.

> >> No problem. We all run into issues at times, and
> >> when it's our primary
> >> system it can be especially nerve wracking. You're
> >> lucky that it's still
> >> usable if there is filesystem corruption or
> >> goofiness in it...like I
> >> said, you may want to still look up doing an FSCK at
> >> boot time. There's
> >> a file you can create (using "sudo touch") in the
> >> root directory to tell
> >> Ubuntu to perform a repair at boot time, if you're
> >> interested. You might
> >> find it in the Man pages. *DO NOT RUN FSCK TO REPAIR
> >> A RUNNING FILESYSTEM*.
> >>
> > Thanks for this tip also. A good idea. I'll RTFM. I
> > am aware of the warning above as I once did it that
> > way in my early Debian experience which caused me to
> > reinstall. I'm going to e2fsck first right after
> > reading the manual and hopefully don;t have to go any
> > further. But if not successful will do the new user
> > routine. Thanks for all the detail. It's much
> > appreciated.
>
> A google for something like "ubuntu fsck boot touch" should show a page
> that gives the step for creating the particular file to do a boottime
> fsck; I just don't remember it off the top of my head. Someone else
> might point it out. It's just a quick one-liner then reboot. The only
> disclaimer is that any filesystem repair may make the system consistent
> by completely wiping the problem off the drive, which means one moment
> your files are there and the next they're not. I've not had this really
> happen to me, but I know it's a possibility, so I'd be remiss if I
> didn't also remind you of that...try to get a backup *first* then play
> with repairs.
>
> If you can't find the command to boot-check, let the list know and get
> my attention and I'll try looking it up for you.

I did all you suggested, Bart, and correctly I think, but still no joy.
I copied my orig home folder to the new home oldhome folder. It didn't
copy everything like hidden files but did get the Desktop using:
cp -r /home/lchata /home/lenc/oldhome
Looked and the old home Desktop. It still had all the original Desktop
entries in it so I copied it to the new home Desktop and restarted X.
The new Desktop GUI after everything loaded was still empty.
I also first did an e2fsck -cckv /dev/sda8 giving a no bad block report
and followed by e3fsck -p /dev/sda8 which said it was clean.

I also took a look at Desktoperr.txt in my original home folder which had
a lot of entries. I wont show the whole list but some look suspicious are:

X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
Major opcode: 2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
Resource id: 0x4400006
QObject: Do not delete object, 'unnamed', during its event handler!
QObject: Do not delete object, 'unnamed', during its event handler!
X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
Major opcode: 2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
Resource id: 0x4400006
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 20
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x1825a09

Of course, if anyone want to see the entire file I'd be glad to post it.
Thanks for trying. I appreciate your detailed effort and I know how hard
it is to write a detailed procedure as you did.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
<snipped for space>
> I also took a look at Desktoperr.txt in my original home folder which had
> a lot of entries. I wont show the whole list but some look suspicious are:
>
> X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
> Major opcode: 2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
> Resource id: 0x4400006
> QObject: Do not delete object, 'unnamed', during its event handler!
> QObject: Do not delete object, 'unnamed', during its event handler!
> X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
> Major opcode: 2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
> Resource id: 0x4400006
> X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
> Major opcode: 20
> Minor opcode: 0
> Resource id: 0x1825a09
>
> Of course, if anyone want to see the entire file I'd be glad to post it.
> Thanks for trying. I appreciate your detailed effort and I know how hard
> it is to write a detailed procedure as you did.

Not a problem. It's quite a puzzle here.

What, for example, is missing? Some documents you created?

When you go into your ~/Desktop folder and do an "ls -alh", what shows up?

Old 08-21-2008, 12:39 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

wrote:

> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> <snipped for space>
> > I also took a look at Desktoperr.txt in my
> original home folder which had
> > a lot of entries. I wont show the whole list but
> some look suspicious are:
> >
> > X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private
> resource denied) 10
> > Major opcode: 2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
> > Resource id: 0x4400006
> > QObject: Do not delete object, 'unnamed', during
> its event handler!
> > QObject: Do not delete object, 'unnamed', during
> its event handler!
> > X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private
> resource denied) 10
> > Major opcode: 2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
> > Resource id: 0x4400006
> > X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
> > Major opcode: 20
> > Minor opcode: 0
> > Resource id: 0x1825a09
> >
> > Of course, if anyone want to see the entire file
> I'd be glad to post it.
> > Thanks for trying. I appreciate your detailed
> effort and I know how hard
> > it is to write a detailed procedure as you did.
>
> Not a problem. It's quite a puzzle here.
>
> What, for example, is missing? Some documents you
> created?
>
> When you go into your ~/Desktop folder and do an "ls
> -alh", what shows up?

Hey Bart,
Not sure about how to do this. What I did was to
launch openoffice.org and a document from my Documents
folder and "save as" it to the Desktop in my old home.
It did not copy to the GUI Desktop or file system
Desktop as shown by ls -alh. I haven't yet reviewed
all your replies but will to see if you had more
specific suggestions. I think you did.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-21-2008, 01:42 AM
NoOp

On 08/20/2008 05:39 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
> wrote:
[snip]
>> When you go into your ~/Desktop folder and do an "ls
>> -alh", what shows up?
>>
> Hey Bart,
> Not sure about how to do this. What I did was to
> launch openoffice.org and a document from my Documents
> folder and "save as" it to the Desktop in my old home.
> It did not copy to the GUI Desktop or file system
> Desktop as shown by ls -alh. I haven't yet reviewed
> all your replies but will to see if you had more
> specific suggestions. I think you did.

Use the terminal:

ls -alh

If you have two users then:

cd /home/<user>
and use ls -alh to compare the two to see if you a missing a folder in
one or the other.

Regarding "Desktop missing"; can you explain again just what you are
missing, or perhaps post a screenshot someplace?

Old 08-21-2008, 02:12 AM
Bart Silverstrim

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> Hey Bart,
> Not sure about how to do this. What I did was to
> launch openoffice.org and a document from my Documents
> folder and "save as" it to the Desktop in my old home.
> It did not copy to the GUI Desktop or file system
> Desktop as shown by ls -alh. I haven't yet reviewed
> all your replies but will to see if you had more
> specific suggestions. I think you did.

If it's saved to your old user's desktop, it would be in
"/home/oldusername/Desktop".

I'm thinking you're testing by putting this into your new user's
desktop? It would need to go in to /home/newusername/Desktop and should
show up on the new user's desktop at that point.

NoOp is also popping in now. He gives great advice to follow :-)

Old 08-21-2008, 03:12 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

wrote:

> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
> > Hey Bart,
> > Not sure about how to do this. What I did was to
> > launch openoffice.org and a document from my
> Documents
> > folder and "save as" it to the Desktop in my old
> home.
> > It did not copy to the GUI Desktop or file system
> > Desktop as shown by ls -alh. I haven't yet
> reviewed
> > all your replies but will to see if you had more
> > specific suggestions. I think you did.
>
> If it's saved to your old user's desktop, it would
> be in
> "/home/oldusername/Desktop".

This is how I did it; in my old users login. APM, I
used oo.O and save as to save a file to
/home/oldusername/Desktop. No outputed errors but the
file didn't show up on the GUI Desktop on in the
/home/oldusername/Desktop folder as read from konsole
using ls -al or ls -alh. FWIW, I've even downloaded
programs from the internet to my desktop and they
don't show up. Really got me baffleloed. -
> I'm thinking you're testing by putting this into
> your new user's
> desktop? It would need to go in to
> /home/newusername/Desktop and should
> show up on the new user's desktop at that point.
>
> NoOp is also popping in now. He gives great advice
> to follow :-)

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-21-2008, 03:55 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 08/20/2008 05:39 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > --- Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
> > wrote:
> [snip]
> >> When you go into your ~/Desktop folder and do an
> "ls
> >> -alh", what shows up?
> >>
> > Hey Bart,
> > Not sure about how to do this. What I did was to
> > launch openoffice.org and a document from my
> Documents
> > folder and "save as" it to the Desktop in my old
> home.
> > It did not copy to the GUI Desktop or file system
> > Desktop as shown by ls -alh. I haven't yet
> reviewed
> > all your replies but will to see if you had more
> > specific suggestions. I think you did.
>
> Use the terminal:
>
> ls -alh
>
> If you have two users then:
>
> cd /home/<user>
> and use ls -alh to compare the two to see if you a
> missing a folder in
> one or the other.

They are not, of course, the same. The old user home
has more files because it's has some tweaking and the
new user home is a default setup with only the oldhome
folder created and a copy of my old home Desktop in
it.
If you want to see them, let me know and I'll post the
output of ls -alh for each. It would be difficult for
me to determine if a standard file was missing in
either or both homes even though I've scanned my home
folder many times.

> Regarding "Desktop missing"; can you explain again
> just what you are
> missing, or perhaps post a screenshot someplace?

Since the power failure, my old home desktop(and the
new user home also) is completely blank except for a
konsole launch icon I've added to it recently. The
files that are missing were :
gparted-live-0.3.7-7.iso
install_flash_player(2).exe
install_flash_player_9_linux(folder)
install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
install_flash_player.exe
jre-6u7-linux-x64.bin
Linux history
seamonkey(folder)
seamonkey-1.1.11.en-US.linux-i686.installer.tar.gz
symduplicates
ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
All of which represents a fair amount of googling and
downloading on my part.
These files are in the file system in obviously
/home/urername/Desktop but they do not show up on the
Desktop GUI as they did before the power failure. And
repeating myself, e2fsck -cckv and -p found no issues.
HTH you,

BTW, If I posted a screen shot, I know how, it would
only show a blank Desktop with the default background,
the konsole launcher icon I just recently added and my
tweaked panel sys tray or whatever it's called. What
keeps me from posting a screen shot is I don't know
where to do it and have never uploaded anything
before.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Bart,
>>> Not sure about how to do this. What I did was to
>>> launch openoffice.org and a document from my
>> Documents
>>> folder and "save as" it to the Desktop in my old
>> home.
>>> It did not copy to the GUI Desktop or file system
>>> Desktop as shown by ls -alh. I haven't yet
>> reviewed
>>> all your replies but will to see if you had more
>>> specific suggestions. I think you did.
>> If it's saved to your old user's desktop, it would
>> be in
>> "/home/oldusername/Desktop".
>>
> This is how I did it; in my old users login. APM, I
> used oo.O and save as to save a file to
> /home/oldusername/Desktop. No outputed errors but the
> file didn't show up on the GUI Desktop on in the
> /home/oldusername/Desktop folder as read from konsole
> using ls -al or ls -alh. FWIW, I've even downloaded
> programs from the internet to my desktop and they
> don't show up. Really got me baffleloed. -

It's not showing on your desktop or by going into the terminal and
cd'ing into ~/Desktop and ls -al? That is baffling.

While in the terminal and your pwd (prints the working directory you're
in), what happens if you type "touch testfile.txt" then do a listing
with "ls"?

Old 08-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
<snippage>

Shot in the dark (I'm not running KDE), but I did see a page at >
http://docs.cs.byu.edu/index.php/KDE_Desktop_Customization

that mentioned right clicking on the desktop, selecting "configure
desktop", then go to "behavior", and there's an option to enable icons
on the desktop. This didn't get altered somehow, did it? Or doesn't this
exist on the version of the Ubuntu desktop you're running?

Old 08-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

wrote:

> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
> > Hey Bart,
> > Not sure about how to do this. What I did was to
> > launch openoffice.org and a document from my
> Documents
> > folder and "save as" it to the Desktop in my old
> home.
> > It did not copy to the GUI Desktop or file system
> > Desktop as shown by ls -alh. I haven't yet
> reviewed
> > all your replies but will to see if you had more
> > specific suggestions. I think you did.
>
> If it's saved to your old user's desktop, it would
> be in
> "/home/oldusername/Desktop".
>
> I'm thinking you're testing by putting this into
> your new user's
> desktop? It would need to go in to
> /home/newusername/Desktop and should
> show up on the new user's desktop at that point.
>
> NoOp is also popping in now. He gives great advice
> to follow :-)

Thanks Bart, that's exactly what I did with oo.O
opened a doc file and saved it to the old user
Desktop(/home/lchata/Desktop) and it never showed up
in the GUI or file system. Also have this problem
downloading files to the Desktop. As a current check,
I just downloated "ubuntu-8.04.1-alternate-amd64.iso"
from http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/8.04/ and it
does show up in the file system but not on the desktop
GUI. I'll try the same thing in the new users window
and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net