Old 08-20-2008, 04:35 PM
jonathon mcdaniels

Default Trouble installing ubuntu 8.04 on t30 thinkpad

When I use the alternate cd to install ubuntu on my thinkpad t30 type
2366, it fails to detect my stock dvd rom drive and the installation
will not proceed. I have tried to manually detect it, but I can't find
the right file in /dev/. Any help would be appreciated before I try
another distro of linux.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Narcissus

Hi,
you can try a hardisk installation with the alternate cd image.
To do that you should install grub, prepare a kernal and
an initrd image to boot up, and tell the kernel where the
cd image is.

But I'm so curious that why ubuntu fail to detect your dvd rom...

--
Regards
NarcissusHuang

Old 08-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Knapp

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Narcissus <yelohuang@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> you can try a hardisk installation with the alternate cd image.
> To do that you should install grub, prepare a kernal and
> an initrd image to boot up, and tell the kernel where the
> cd image is.
>
> But I'm so curious that why ubuntu fail to detect your dvd rom...
>
> 2008/8/21 jonathon mcdaniels <jonathon@category4.com>
>>
>> When I use the alternate cd to install ubuntu on my thinkpad t30 type
>> 2366, it fails to detect my stock dvd rom drive and the installation
>> will not proceed. I have tried to manually detect it, but I can't find
>> the right file in /dev/. Any help would be appreciated before I try
>> another distro of linux.
>>
> --
> Regards
> NarcissusHuang

I have been fighting a thinkpad too. Not real sure of the model but it
has the number type 1171 on the bottom and has the same cd problems
you are talking about.
It boots with an old DSL disk.
Not with kubuntu or alt kubuntu
Sabayon has a totoaly bad crash and does not make it to the first screen.
PC linux fails.
Mint fails.

BUT Debian Lenny with the middle length install works with the option
IRQPOLL set. Then once you have it installed and reboot from the
harddisk you need to get rid or irqpoll for it to work.
I am no expert and can't explain it but it works. It also discovered
that my computer has an internal wifi. When it ran windows we used a
USB wifi to get on the net.
Lenny is like to Ubuntu like camping is to a house. Be aware that it
is not so easy but not to bad on the other hand. I have not found a
good place to get help with lenny but for the IRC channel. They have
been very helpful.

BEST LUCK!

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 08-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

> When I use the alternate cd to install ubuntu on my thinkpad t30 type
> 2366, it fails to detect my stock dvd rom drive and the installation
> will not proceed. I have tried to manually detect it, but I can't find
> the right file in /dev/. Any help would be appreciated before I try
> another distro of linux.

Well Jonathon, just what is your stock dvd rom drive anyway? You didn't
give enough enough info for the list to really give help.
Did you check md5sum on your downloaded iso file against the listed md5sum on the download site? Did you verify the iso disk you burned? You could google for your stock dvd rom driver/module for ubuntu . You said above that ....and the installation will not proceed. Usually that means the OS didn't get installed so how did you read the /dev folder. If you can access the OS and can determine the correct driver for your dvd drive you can add it to /etc/modules or modprobe to get it installed. If you need help with the cli commands then let us know. HTH.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:54 PM
"Michael "TheZorch" Haney"

jonathon mcdaniels wrote:
> When I use the alternate cd to install ubuntu on my thinkpad t30 type
> 2366, it fails to detect my stock dvd rom drive and the installation
> will not proceed. I have tried to manually detect it, but I can't find
> the right file in /dev/. Any help would be appreciated before I try
> another distro of linux.
Like everyone here said we need more info. I'm assuming this is a newer
model Thinkpad from Lenovo and not one of the old IBM models, right?
One of the neat little features of Wubi on the LiveCD is the ability to
do an install on systems that either don't recognize the CD at startup
or can't boot from CD due to a BIOS limitation. See if this helps since
its possible that your drive has trouble booting from the Ubuntu LiveCD
for some reason even though your laptop is supposed to support CD booting.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 08-20-2008, 06:53 PM
NoOp

On 08/20/2008 09:35 AM, jonathon mcdaniels wrote:
> When I use the alternate cd to install ubuntu on my thinkpad t30 type
> 2366, it fails to detect my stock dvd rom drive and the installation
> will not proceed. I have tried to manually detect it, but I can't find
> the right file in /dev/. Any help would be appreciated before I try
> another distro of linux.

Read through this. Then try these options:

hda=nodma
noapic

Try them one at a time in that order.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:20 PM
NoOp

On 08/20/2008 11:53 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 08/20/2008 09:35 AM, jonathon mcdaniels wrote:
>> When I use the alternate cd to install ubuntu on my thinkpad t30 type
>> 2366, it fails to detect my stock dvd rom drive and the installation
>> will not proceed. I have tried to manually detect it, but I can't find
>> the right file in /dev/. Any help would be appreciated before I try
>> another distro of linux.
>>

> Read through this. Then try these options:
>
> hda=nodma
> noapic
>
> Try them one at a time in that order.

I guess by now that you noticed I forgot the url, sorry:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions