Old 08-20-2008, 12:42 AM
Wade Smart

Default installing software from Intrepid

20080819 1930 GMT-6

I want to install
boinc-manager_6.2.12-1_i386.deb
boinc-client_6.2.12_1_i386.deb
which is found in
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu intrepid main universe

When I tried to put this line in my sources list I received the error message
stating it had run out of room, or something like that.

Wade

Old 08-20-2008, 01:06 AM
Wade Smart

Wade Smart wrote:
> 20080819 1930 GMT-6
>
> I want to install
> boinc-manager_6.2.12-1_i386.deb
> boinc-client_6.2.12_1_i386.deb
> which is found in
> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu intrepid main universe
>
> When I tried to put this line in my sources list I received the error message
> stating it had run out of room, or something like that.
>
> Wade

20080819 2005 GMT-6

This is the error:
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occurred while processing libmaruku-ruby (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList
/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_intrepid_univer se_binary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:12 AM
Jim Smith

Wade Smart wrote:
> 20080819 1930 GMT-6
>
> I want to install
> boinc-manager_6.2.12-1_i386.deb
> boinc-client_6.2.12_1_i386.deb
> which is found in
> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu intrepid main universe
>
> When I tried to put this line in my sources list I received the error message
> stating it had run out of room, or something like that.
>
> Wade

Can you just find the files from the repos, download them and install
them with Gdebi?
Jim

--
Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............

Old 08-20-2008, 01:17 AM
Wade Smart

Jim Smith wrote:
> Wade Smart wrote:
>> 20080819 1930 GMT-6
>>
>> I want to install
>> boinc-manager_6.2.12-1_i386.deb
>> boinc-client_6.2.12_1_i386.deb
>> which is found in
>> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu intrepid main universe
>>
>> When I tried to put this line in my sources list I received the error message
>> stating it had run out of room, or something like that.
>>
>> Wade
>>

> Can you just find the files from the repos, download them and install
> them with Gdebi?
> Jim

20080819 2017 GMT-6

I havent heard of Gdebi.
Ill check that out.

Wade

Old 08-20-2008, 01:33 AM
Wade Smart

Wade Smart wrote:
> Jim Smith wrote:
>> Wade Smart wrote:
>>> 20080819 1930 GMT-6
>>>
>>> I want to install
>>> boinc-manager_6.2.12-1_i386.deb
>>> boinc-client_6.2.12_1_i386.deb
>>> which is found in
>>> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu intrepid main universe
>>>
>>> When I tried to put this line in my sources list I received the error message
>>> stating it had run out of room, or something like that.
>>>
>>> Wade
>>>

>> Can you just find the files from the repos, download them and install
>> them with Gdebi?
>> Jim
>>
> 20080819 2017 GMT-6
>
> I havent heard of Gdebi.
> Ill check that out.
>
> Wade

20080819 2032 GMT-6

Jim, Im not sure this idea works. As I go along here each file need another file
which needs another file and there are five or six files per section that need
other files. This is a bit crazy!

Wade

Old 08-20-2008, 01:39 AM
"David Fox"

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
> 20080819 1930 GMT-6
>
> I want to install
> boinc-manager_6.2.12-1_i386.deb
> boinc-client_6.2.12_1_i386.deb
> which is found in
> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu intrepid main universe

Wade, basically the settings for the RAM usage by apt are too
conservatively set to handle the amount of new information in your
sources configuration.

I can tell you what to do if you were running debian, as to setting an
apt cache parameter, which is set way too low sometimes. But I've
looked and the way ubuntu sets up /etc/apt is too different, and I
don't know where to put that setting.

I did a google and found that you could add the line

APT::Cache-Limit "8388608";

somewhere in the file 70debconf in /etc/apt/conf.d and it would help.
If that doesn't, you can simply add a few zeroes on the end of that
number.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:04 AM
Wade Smart

David Fox wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 20080819 1930 GMT-6
>>
>> I want to install
>> boinc-manager_6.2.12-1_i386.deb
>> boinc-client_6.2.12_1_i386.deb
>> which is found in
>> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu intrepid main universe
>
> Wade, basically the settings for the RAM usage by apt are too
> conservatively set to handle the amount of new information in your
> sources configuration.
>
> I can tell you what to do if you were running debian, as to setting an
> apt cache parameter, which is set way too low sometimes. But I've
> looked and the way ubuntu sets up /etc/apt is too different, and I
> don't know where to put that setting.
>
> I did a google and found that you could add the line
>
> APT::Cache-Limit "8388608";
>
> somewhere in the file 70debconf in /etc/apt/conf.d and it would help.
> If that doesn't, you can simply add a few zeroes on the end of that
> number.
>

>> Wade

20080819 2102 GMT-6

I googled your answer and found some interesting reading about this. I worked
the numbers a bit more and got it to work. However, this isnt the solution. To
install boinc-client it would installed like 100 or so other things. Crazy!
Well, Ill just stick with the old client.

Thanks for the help.

Wade

Old 08-20-2008, 02:13 AM
"David Fox"

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
> I googled your answer and found some interesting reading about this. I worked
> the numbers a bit more and got it to work. However, this isnt the solution. To

Well, you may find that installing boinc from intrepid requires a
bunch of dependencies from intrepid. That's not too hard to believe.
At this time, it may not be a good idea to dist-upgrade to intrepid,
which is more or less what you are doing if it wants 70+ packages.
Kind of unrelated, but the other day on a lark I grabbed the ISOs of
intrepid alpha (i386 & alternate), and neither booted up (in
Virtualbox), even though the md5sums were perfect. I got a kernel
panic in init first thing on trying to run it in vbox.

So in this case I'd just get the latest client from setiathome and
install manually. I did it that way. Seems to work fine, although I've
once experienced the problem you addressed in another post (client
doesn't attach on startup). When that happens, I restart boinc or just
let it run and the client gets attached.

I've been running boinc on ubuntu since maybe 2 months now (new
x86_64). And I ran it for sometime on my older 32-bit mobo, but that
ran Debian.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:20 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 20:33 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
> As I go along here each file need another file
> which needs another file and there are five or six files per section
> that need other files. This is a bit crazy!

If you put the Intrepid deb lines into sources list and installed these
packages, the same thing would happen: they all depend on newer packages
in Intrepid, and a chain reaction would start, after which you would end
up with a mish-mash of Hardy and Intrepid. Not recommended.

Your best bet would probably be to recompile the boinc packages from
source on Hardy.