Old 08-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Derek Broughton

Default How do I suppress kde startup?

Robert Ramey wrote:

> For my own purposes, I would like to be able to suppress the X Windows/KDE
> startup that Kubuntu uses and have it just startup with the simple
> username/password prompt. But I haven't been able to find where to do
> this.

Do you mean you want a text mode login? Just remove kdm if you want it
permanently done, or remove /etc/rc2.d/S*kdm to do it temporarily (it'll
get replaced any time kdm gets updated, or you can restore it with
update-rc.d)
--
derek

Old 08-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Rashkae

Robert Ramey wrote:
> For my own purposes, I would like to be able to suppress the X Windows/KDE
> startup that Kubuntu uses and have it just startup with the simple
> username/password prompt. But I haven't been able to find where to do this.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

You need to remove the kdm from your start-up services. There should be
a service manager in your GUI that will let you un-check the "Graphical
Login Service" (warning: this might cause your existing session to just
shut down, so be sure to save everything first.)

Alternatively, you can find the link to kdm in your /etc/rc2.d
directory. Rename the file to change the S to a K.

Example: mv S30kdm K30kdm