Old 08-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Douglas Pollard

Default Ubuntu Studio and raw 1394

Noop,
You helped me with studio install and raw1394 problems. This
might help some others.
I installed studio programs but not studio itself. I also
installed Cinelerra. All works well. To run kino and capture from
camcorder raw 1394 I found that studio lets you go system-
administration and Ubuntu studio controls click box enable raw1394.
Kino captures in root when dv is captured just turn off by
clicking box again and raw 1394 is no longer open. Then transfer video
files to my user file and transfer permission. Seems to work. The
reason I am doing that is my Dvd drive runs on fire wire and I don't
know if that is raw 1394 or not. If it is DVD files would in effect
have root privileges ???

Doug

Old 08-19-2008, 05:31 PM
NoOp

On 08/19/2008 08:22 AM, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> Noop,
> You helped me with studio install and raw1394 problems. This
> might help some others.
> I installed studio programs but not studio itself. I also
> installed Cinelerra. All works well. To run kino and capture from
> camcorder raw 1394 I found that studio lets you go system-
> administration and Ubuntu studio controls click box enable raw1394.
> Kino captures in root when dv is captured just turn off by
> clicking box again and raw 1394 is no longer open. Then transfer video
> files to my user file and transfer permission. Seems to work. The
> reason I am doing that is my Dvd drive runs on fire wire and I don't
> know if that is raw 1394 or not. If it is DVD files would in effect
> have root privileges ???
>
> Doug

Looks like it's an ongoing issue with Kino:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bkino+%2Broot

These might be of interest:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kino/+bug/35693
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kino/+bug/6290
[note: don't bother with the referenced wiki.linux1394.org link - it's
full of spam - the correct link is:
http://ieee1394.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page]
<http://ubuntufriends.wordpress.com/2008/06/25/kino-and-dv-1394-in-ubuntu-hardy/>
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Firewire
and kino forum is here:
<http://www.kinodv.org/dcforum/dcforum?az=show_topics&forum=101&page=>

Good luck & fair winds (I'm off to work the J105 NA's this week :-)