Old 08-19-2008, 11:41 AM
"Gerold"

Default Solar theme Round 2

Hi,

I like that background.
The only thing I think about is: PowerUser

... with more than just 4 Icons on the Desktop :-( Have you ever seen User
with 20 or 30 Icons on the desktop? So it's impossible to use Round 2;
unfortunately.

If that background has also the changing colors of the day (like in F8 and
F9) then, I will use it and forget that the Name of F10 should be
"Cambridge".

Regards

Gerold

Old 08-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Nicu Buculei

Samuele Storari wrote:

Hi all,
I create a new (semi-final) step for Solar.
I've uploaded it on the wiki page:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F10Themes/Solar

let me know your guess.

I like better the round 1 [1] image, I find the round 2 one [2] a bit
too bright and too contrasting.
And while the background in the round 1 image was plain and bland, I
think in the round 2 image it is quite busy.

Naive question from someone not knowing that much about astronomy: are
those "planets" images of our (Earth's) moon? Various planets are not
supposed to be different in color and size?

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:Solar.png

[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:Solar_round2_lil.png

Old 08-19-2008, 01:33 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 14:45 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Samuele Storari wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I create a new (semi-final) step for Solar.
> > I've uploaded it on the wiki page:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F10Themes/Solar
> >
> > let me know your guess.
>
> I like better the round 1 [1] image, I find the round 2 one [2] a bit
> too bright and too contrasting.
> And while the background in the round 1 image was plain and bland, I
> think in the round 2 image it is quite busy.
>
> Naive question from someone not knowing that much about astronomy: are
> those "planets" images of our (Earth's) moon? Various planets are not
> supposed to be different in color and size?
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:Solar.png
>
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:Solar_round2_lil.png

Right, to get a more usable image, you probably want to go for more
subtlety -- less contrast, a simpler image, and/or less dramatic. That
allows the user's eye to concentrate on what's on the Desktop, not the
Desktop itself.

--
Paul W. Frields
http://paul.frields.org/ - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/

Old 08-19-2008, 01:56 PM
Máirín Duffy

Hi Samuele,

Samuele Storari wrote:

Hi all,
I create a new (semi-final) step for Solar.
I've uploaded it on the wiki page:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F10Themes/Solar

let me know your guess.

Well I first wanted to let you know that it's hard for others to work
with your artwork because you didn't provide sources or in lieu of that
any instructions on how to reproduce it. If you want your theme to have
a good shot at making it you should definitely make them available so
more people can 'vote' on it.

I liked the first solar better than this iteration; the colors were more
Fedora blue and I think it was a bit darker so I think a bit more
functional for a wallpaper (if the wallpaper is too bright / busy /
contrasting it is hard for folks to use) I do like how you put the
visual focus towards the lower right of the wallpaper, since we line the
icons up starting from the upper left this helps.

It looks like you may have used planet brushes to produce the white
planets on the left? Can you make those available too? (are they
openly-licensed?)

Thanks,
~m

Old 08-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Martin Sourada

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 18:08 +0200, Samuele Storari wrote:
> ok, thanks all for the patience...
> Now on the wiki page u really can find all, from the new image to the source file.
> In this version i tried to use a less brighted sun with and dedicate more space to the content of the desktop.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F10Themes/Solar
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/f/f7/Solar_roun2_wiki_format.jpg
>
> And here u can see a lil test:
> https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/e/e6/Screenshot.png
>
> Hope u like and agree.
> For any comment I'm here.
>
> Samuele

I must say I like it In the screenshot it looks pretty well, only the
moons/planets make some icons harder to discern. I'd remove them. The
rest seems fine

Martin

PS: I noticed your mail client adds R: instead of the traditional Re: to
the Subject which causes the [R: and Re:]'s to pile... So I removed the
unnecessary parts from the subject in this reply :-p

PPS: I also noticed you use rather colloquial English and since many of
the art contributors are not native English speakers it sometimes might
be harder to understand what you say... Would you mind using more
'formal' language?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Samuele Storari

Some little modifies to my artwork

https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/f/f7/Solar_roun2_wiki_format.jpg

As I said before, less brightness, less stars, and new source file added.
Let me know your guess.

Samuele

Ps: just a question, but in september what is gonna happen? I mean, what we'll gonna do for round 3, or after round 2 we start to choose only 2 / 3 proposals to work on for the round 3.
thanks.