Old 08-19-2008, 08:30 AM
"Ashish Yadav"

Default Vim 7.2 on Ubuntu 8.04

I got update of Vim 7.2 on cygwin which I have on Windows, however
Ubuntu didn't seem to be interested in it. Is there any repository
which I can add for the same?

Ashish

"There are 10 types of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't"

Old 08-19-2008, 09:05 AM
David Curtis

Ashish Yadav wrote:
> I got update of Vim 7.2 on cygwin which I have on Windows, however
> Ubuntu didn't seem to be interested in it. Is there any repository
> which I can add for the same?

Well, 7.2 was released only 10 days ago. I do believe Intrepid is frozen
for everything but major bug fixes. So looks like your gonna have to
live with 7.1 or compile it yourself.

Dave

Old 08-19-2008, 11:41 AM
"Ashish Yadav"

Is it that big a release?

I thought it's bug fixes only plus floating point support.

If cygwin can give it why not Ubuntu?

Old 08-19-2008, 01:51 PM
David Curtis

Ashish Yadav wrote:
> Is it that big a release?

What? Vim 7.2 or Interpid?
> I thought it's bug fixes only plus floating point support.
>
> If cygwin can give it why not Ubuntu?

Ubuntu has 6 month release cycles. Intrepid was "frozen" a while ago. So
the new Vim won't make it into Intrepid unless there are major bug fixes
over Vim 7.1x, ie. security, etc. File a wishlist bug for packaging into
the release next spring (but I'm sure the main devels know about it).

If you really need it, ask nicely and somebody might just package it and
put it up in their PPA. I did a little search for it in Ubuntu packages,
the PPAs and Debian. I only found a source package of 7.2c in Debian
experimental. So it looks like nobody has touched it yet. But then
again, it's a ten day old release from upstream, give the devels a chance...

Dave

Old 08-19-2008, 03:11 PM
"Ashish Yadav"

> What? Vim 7.2 or Interpid?

Vim of course

> Ubuntu has 6 month release cycles. Intrepid was "frozen" a while ago.
I guess its 28'th August
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntrepidReleaseSchedule

> the new Vim won't make it into Intrepid unless there are major bug fixes
> over Vim 7.1x, ie. security, etc. File a wishlist bug for packaging into
> the release next spring (but I'm sure the main devels know about it).

There are security fixes.
http://groups.google.com/group/vim_announce/browse_thread/thread/2c89671dd928812f

> again, it's a ten day old release from upstream, give the devels a chance...
It was a ten day old release for cygwin also.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:57 PM
David Curtis

Ashish Yadav wrote:
>> What? Vim 7.2 or Interpid?
>
> Vim of course

Well the Vim developer described the release as 'minor' as per your link
to google groups.

>> Ubuntu has 6 month release cycles. Intrepid was "frozen" a while ago.
> I guess its 28'th August
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntrepidReleaseSchedule

Oops, you got me there. I swore I read somewhere Intrepid was frozen for
updates and new packages. Also, even though Vim is "Ubuntu customized"
the main devels could be waiting for a Debian update first.

>> the new Vim won't make it into Intrepid unless there are major bug fixes
>> over Vim 7.1x, ie. security, etc. File a wishlist bug for packaging into
>> the release next spring (but I'm sure the main devels know about it).
>>

> There are security fixes.
> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_announce/browse_thread/thread/2c89671dd928812f

The developer of Vim describes them as "security improvements". And 7.2
as a "...minor release of Vim".

>> again, it's a ten day old release from upstream, give the devels a chance...
> It was a ten day old release for cygwin also.

Yes, from the Vim developers. If they maintained the Ubuntu Vim package
you would see that ready too. (And would they also want to maintain
Vim-Gnome and Vim-GTK et al.)

But who knows? Maybe it's in the works. I'm just giving you guesses on
why it's not there. From your OP, why do you think Ubuntu "does not seem
interested in it?" Just because it's not in the repo yet?

And also, If you really have to have it. File a bug on the package and
get somebody's attention on it. Namely the package maintainer. Even if
it doesn't go into Intrepid (and hardy-backports). Somebody might put it
up in their PPA as a deb.

Dave

Old 08-20-2008, 04:26 AM
"Ashish Yadav"

> Well the Vim developer described the release as 'minor' as per your link
> to google groups.

Yes but what I have seen on net according to that the improvements are
really worth for it.

> The developer of Vim describes them as "security improvements". And 7.2
> as a "...minor release of Vim".

Still they suggest to upgrade it if possible.

> Yes, from the Vim developers. If they maintained the Ubuntu Vim package
> you would see that ready too. (And would they also want to maintain
> Vim-Gnome and Vim-GTK et al.)

cygwin has all and I don't think vim.org maintains it for them.

> But who knows? Maybe it's in the works. I'm just giving you guesses on
> why it's not there. From your OP, why do you think Ubuntu "does not seem
> interested in it?" Just because it's not in the repo yet?

I didn't see any bug report for wishing it also, yes because it is not
in repo, I wasn't accusing that was just a phrase of saying.

> And also, If you really have to have it. File a bug on the package and
> get somebody's attention on it. Namely the package maintainer. Even if
> it doesn't go into Intrepid (and hardy-backports). Somebody might put it
> up in their PPA as a deb.

Done that.