Old 08-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Rob

Default Ubuntu 8.04

Greetings all,

Perhaps someone knows the answer to this...

Several days ago, I installed Ubuntu 8.04 to an external drive here (a
Hitachi 300 gig which has an option of a SATA connection or USB -- I'm
using USB). Following the installation and reboot (it did NOT ask me
where -- or even if -- I wanted to install Grub) I am confronted with a
Grub error nbr 21. Unfortunately, the boot process gets no further. I
do not know how to fix this unless it's editing Grub but I have no idea
where the installation tried to put Grub. I'm guessing on my internal
hard drive and not very successfully.

I have been booting with a Super Grub CD we burned a couple of days ago
but so far, that only lets me boot to Windows..not Ubuntu on my external
drive. I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can fix this. I fear if I
format my external drive via Windows and reinstall Ubuntu again, I'll
get the same result. I have a Lenovo System Model 9120CTO with
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2700 Mhz with
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 2UKT46AUS, 12/26/2007 and one internal 300 Gig
Hitachi hard drive and one external 300 Gig Hitachi hard drive connected
via USB as indicated above.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to fix this booting
problem short of formatting my external drive again and making another
attempt to install Ubuntu (I'd guess with the same results).

Many thanks in advance.

RobF
Rockville, MD

Old 08-19-2008, 02:54 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- Rob <robfleet@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> Perhaps someone knows the answer to this...
>
> Several days ago, I installed Ubuntu 8.04 to an
> external drive here (a
> Hitachi 300 gig which has an option of a SATA
> connection or USB -- I'm
> using USB). Following the installation and reboot
> (it did NOT ask me
> where -- or even if -- I wanted to install Grub) I
> am confronted with a
> Grub error nbr 21. Unfortunately, the boot process
> gets no further. I
> do not know how to fix this unless it's editing Grub
> but I have no idea
> where the installation tried to put Grub. I'm
> guessing on my internal
> hard drive and not very successfully.
>
> I have been booting with a Super Grub CD we burned a
> couple of days ago
> but so far, that only lets me boot to Windows..not
> Ubuntu on my external
> drive. I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can fix
> this. I fear if I
> format my external drive via Windows and reinstall
> Ubuntu again, I'll
> get the same result. I have a Lenovo System Model
> 9120CTO with
> Processor x86 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2
> AuthenticAMD ~2700 Mhz with
> BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 2UKT46AUS, 12/26/2007 and
> one internal 300 Gig
> Hitachi hard drive and one external 300 Gig Hitachi
> hard drive connected
> via USB as indicated above.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do
> to fix this booting
> problem short of formatting my external drive again
> and making another
> attempt to install Ubuntu (I'd guess with the same
> results).
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> RobF
> Rockville, MD

This might help:
It basically tells you how to install grub on your
Ubuntu HDD(USB Drive) and should fix your problem.
Hope so,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-19-2008, 03:15 AM
Rob

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 19:54 -0700, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- Rob <robfleet@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > Perhaps someone knows the answer to this...
> >
> > Several days ago, I installed Ubuntu 8.04 to an
> > external drive here (a

> This might help:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-526991.html
> It basically tells you how to install grub on your
> Ubuntu HDD(USB Drive) and should fix your problem.
> Hope so,

> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Thanks Leonard,

It was even easier than that! Tonight, on a lark, I decided to just
reinstall Ubuntu (over top of where I installed it the first time)
and...lo and behold, it now boots with Grub. (I haven't tried Windows
yet but THIS IS ENOUGH pleasure for one night!!)

Thanks again...
Rob

Old 08-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Karl Larsen

Rob wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> Perhaps someone knows the answer to this...
>
> Several days ago, I installed Ubuntu 8.04 to an external drive here (a
> Hitachi 300 gig which has an option of a SATA connection or USB -- I'm
> using USB). Following the installation and reboot (it did NOT ask me
> where -- or even if -- I wanted to install Grub) I am confronted with a
> Grub error nbr 21. Unfortunately, the boot process gets no further. I
> do not know how to fix this unless it's editing Grub but I have no idea
> where the installation tried to put Grub. I'm guessing on my internal
> hard drive and not very successfully.
>
> I have been booting with a Super Grub CD we burned a couple of days ago
> but so far, that only lets me boot to Windows..not Ubuntu on my external
> drive. I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can fix this. I fear if I
> format my external drive via Windows and reinstall Ubuntu again, I'll
> get the same result. I have a Lenovo System Model 9120CTO with
> Processor x86 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2700 Mhz with
> BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 2UKT46AUS, 12/26/2007 and one internal 300 Gig
> Hitachi hard drive and one external 300 Gig Hitachi hard drive connected
> via USB as indicated above.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to fix this booting
> problem short of formatting my external drive again and making another
> attempt to install Ubuntu (I'd guess with the same results).
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> RobF
> Rockville, MD

I think you should just forget trying to put Ubuntu on a USB
connected hard drive. I say this because I KNOW that the USB drive is
not active until AFTER Grub loads the kernel, and it can't get to the
kernel until the USB drive is active. It is a catch 22 problem and you
will never be able to fix it.

So if you want Ubuntu please install it on your internal hard drive.
This works fine.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-19-2008, 11:44 AM
"Ashish Yadav"

Fedora can boot from USB hard disk, clearly there should be some way to do it.

Ashish

"There are 10 types of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't"

Old 08-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Karl Larsen

Ashish Yadav wrote:
> Fedora can boot from USB hard disk, clearly there should be some way to do it.

How does Fedora do it? We are talking about Grub not type of Linux.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-19-2008, 11:57 AM
"Ashish Yadav"

> How does Fedora do it? We are talking about Grub not type of Linux.

I don't know how they do that, but the fact is that I *have* installed
Fedora on USB hard disk and boot from it.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:04 PM
'2+

maybe am misreading somethang but
my artigo which doesn't have any sort of internal storage is booting
8.04 from an external mobile hdd drive using usb for connection
when i bought the drive to the backups for osx
the box it came with was warning me that it cannot be used for a boot
drive ... but i tested anyway and it worked
oh yes ... grub is also installed to that mobile hdd

--
'2+
http://sarigama.namaste.jp/

Old 08-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Karl Larsen

Ashish Yadav wrote:
>> How does Fedora do it? We are talking about Grub not type of Linux.
>>

> I don't know how they do that, but the fact is that I *have* installed
> Fedora on USB hard disk and boot from it.

Sorry. If the grub files are in a directory on the USB hard drive
then it can't be reached until the USB part of the computer is turned
on, and it can't be turned on until the kernel is running.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Karl Larsen

'2+ wrote:
> maybe am misreading somethang but
> my artigo which doesn't have any sort of internal storage is booting
> 8.04 from an external mobile hdd drive using usb for connection
> when i bought the drive to the backups for osx
> the box it came with was warning me that it cannot be used for a boot
> drive ... but i tested anyway and it worked
> oh yes ... grub is also installed to that mobile hdd
>
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 05:38:33AM -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>> I think you should just forget trying to put Ubuntu on a USB
>> connected hard drive. I say this because I KNOW that the USB drive is
>> not active until AFTER Grub loads the kernel, and it can't get to the
>> kernel until the USB drive is active. It is a catch 22 problem and you
>> will never be able to fix it.
>>
>> So if you want Ubuntu please install it on your internal hard drive.
>> This works fine.

I wonder if you recall if you have set your BIOS to boot from a USB
port? That *MIGHT* be a way to do it. I will check my BIOS for such a
setting.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI