Old 08-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Derek Broughton

Default Testing a new Kernel remotly - Boot Manage r trick needed

Joris Dobbelsteen wrote:

Please don't top-post.

> IPMI (but its on (some) server boards only)...
> KVM to network switch...

You answered the wrong question.

> ml@bortal.de wrote, On 18-Aug-2008 9:25:
>>
>> i would like to test a new kernel on a remote box far, far away.
>> Alli have got is the possibility to reset the machine.
>>
>> I think i have seen a way to only let a kernel boot once (in case it
>> fails).
>>
>> After a reset it will boot the default kernel again.
>>
>> Can anyone point me to the right location, please?

I believe, you set "default N ", where 'N' is your fallback kernel, and then
use "sudo grub-reboot" to tell it where to start _next_ time. I'd test
this on a system you have physical access to first, because I haven't tried
it :-)
--
derek