Old 08-18-2008, 06:29 AM
Pol

Default copying ms-windows

I am planning to change my hard disk, where linux will be re-installed.
I would like to move my ms-windows/xp bootable partition to the new disk,
without re-installing. Is that possible?
Any suggestions?

Thank you
--
Pol

Old 08-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Catalin David

Pol wrote:
> I am planning to change my hard disk, where linux will be re-installed.
> I would like to move my ms-windows/xp bootable partition to the new disk,
> without re-installing. Is that possible?
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thank you
> --
> Pol

Yup, did that once. Connect both HDD-s, get in Ubuntu and start copying.
There is one problem, though... I am not sure whether the partition
table has to be identical as name (if you have on your current HDD a
partition sda2 with Win, then I don't know whether the partition name on
the new HDD should be the same). I really don't know more about this
since I copied from sda2 to an external HDD, completely formated and
then put it back in sda2.

Hope that helps,
Catalin

Old 08-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Karl Larsen

Pol wrote:
> I am planning to change my hard disk, where linux will be re-installed.
> I would like to move my ms-windows/xp bootable partition to the new disk,
> without re-installing. Is that possible?
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thank you
> --
> Pol

That looks like a chore for dd. It will take both windows and Ubuntu
and their file systems over to the new hard drive.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Neil

On 8/18/08, Catalin David <c.david@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
> Pol wrote:
> > I am planning to change my hard disk, where linux will be re-installed.
> > I would like to move my ms-windows/xp bootable partition to the new disk,
> > without re-installing. Is that possible?
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thank you
> > --
> > Pol
> >

> Yup, did that once. Connect both HDD-s, get in Ubuntu and start copying.
> There is one problem, though... I am not sure whether the partition
> table has to be identical as name (if you have on your current HDD a
> partition sda2 with Win, then I don't know whether the partition name on
> the new HDD should be the same). I really don't know more about this
> since I copied from sda2 to an external HDD, completely formated and
> then put it back in sda2.
>

> Hope that helps,
> Catalin

Hi

There are some things:
1. You should not copy an OS while running it. Use the LiveCD.
2. Ubuntu uses UUID's. These are connected to a disk. A new disk with
the same data will have an other UUID. You should fix your fstab to
point to the new UUID's.

A way to go:
1. copy data with dd from a LiveCD
2. Mount the new disk.
3. Get the UUID's. The Suse mailing list says "sudo blkid /dev/sd*"
will help. If it works it will also work under Ubuntu, but I haven't
tried (@work under windows). You do not need the UUID of normal USB
disks and cdroms (they are automounted in another way)
4. Go (on the new disk) to /etc/fstab and paste the new UUID's over the old ones
5. Cross your fingers and pray to whatever god of your choice.
6. Reboot
7. unknown
8. PROFIT

If you need a more detailed version of this (like how and where to
execute the commands) just ask

Neil
--
There are two kinds of people:
1. People who start their arrays with 1.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:47 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"

> From: news [mailto:news@ger.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Pol
> Subject: copying ms-windows
>
> I am planning to change my hard disk, where linux will be
re-installed.
> I would like to move my ms-windows/xp bootable partition to the new
disk,
> without re-installing. Is that possible?
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thank you
> --
> Pol

To clone a Windows partition I would look into tools like Norton Ghost
(paid), or partimage (Open Source).

I really like partimage for cloning partitions and I know for a fact
that it works with Windows and Linux. Partimage has been installed on
KNOPPIX since the early days, so any new KNOPPIX disc should work for
you.

Good luck. Have Fun.

~S~

Old 08-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-08-18 14:47 +0200, Stackpole, Chris wrote:

> To clone a Windows partition I would look into tools like Norton Ghost
> (paid), or partimage (Open Source).

I have never done this myself, but I've heard that ntfsclone (from the
ntfsprogs package) is the preferred tool for that task. NTFS support in
partimage is still experimental, AFAIK.

Sven

Old 08-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Derek Broughton

Karl Larsen wrote:

> Pol wrote:
>> I am planning to change my hard disk, where linux will be re-installed.
>> I would like to move my ms-windows/xp bootable partition to the new disk,
>> without re-installing. Is that possible?
>> Any suggestions?
>>
> That looks like a chore for dd. It will take both windows and Ubuntu
> and their file systems over to the new hard drive.

Or Clonezilla. Either one should have the advantage of leaving your UUIDs
intact.
--
derek

Old 08-18-2008, 05:36 PM

I have used Ghost and it also works find
Larry

Old 08-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Philipp Hübner