Old 08-18-2008, 10:47 AM
norman

Default playing dvd

I use Ubuntu 8.04.1 and would like to be able to play ordinary DVDs.
When I load a disc, Totem opens, the DVD starts to play and then an
error message, suggesting that libdvdcss is not installed, appears
however, it is. On my recently purchased Dell Inspiron 1525 there is a
piece of software called LinDVD, which does play an ordinary DVD. I have
checked, using Synaptic, but it does not appear on my desktop computer.

I would be most grateful for any suggestions you can help me with.

Norman

Old 08-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Karl Larsen

norman wrote:
> I use Ubuntu 8.04.1 and would like to be able to play ordinary DVDs.
> When I load a disc, Totem opens, the DVD starts to play and then an
> error message, suggesting that libdvdcss is not installed, appears
> however, it is. On my recently purchased Dell Inspiron 1525 there is a
> piece of software called LinDVD, which does play an ordinary DVD. I have
> checked, using Synaptic, but it does not appear on my desktop computer.
>
> I would be most grateful for any suggestions you can help me with.
>
> Norman

Totem has some problems. I have it set up to show DVD movies but it
is not very nice. I much prefer the VLC server you can get with
Simpatic that is a better viewer. By better I mean it lets me use all
the features in the DVD.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-18-2008, 01:17 PM
norman

< snip >

> Totem has some problems. I have it set up to show DVD movies but it
> is not very nice. I much prefer the VLC server you can get with
> Simpatic that is a better viewer. By better I mean it lets me use all
> the features in the DVD.

I am not sure about using all the features but I solved my immediate
problem by installing and running 'regionset'. I changed the region
setting to suit my region (2) and all appears to be well.

Norman

Old 08-18-2008, 04:31 PM
"Michael "TheZorch" Haney"

norman wrote:
> I am not sure about using all the features but I solved my immediate
> problem by installing and running 'regionset'. I changed the region
> setting to suit my region (2) and all appears to be well.
>
> Norman
I setup Kubuntu 8.04 to play DVDs really EASY. It was easier than
setting up DVD playback in Ubuntu 8.04. Kubuntu uses Kaffine as a video
player instead of Totem, that might be the reason for it because the
player is what prompted me to install the library for encrypted
commercial DVDs. Kaffine already supports DVD menus out of the box,
unlike Totem. In Ubuntu with Gnome and the Totem video player getting
encrypted commercial DVDs to play is an adventure all by itself. Lets
just say it ain't easy and straight forward.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 08-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 11:47 +0100, norman wrote:
> I use Ubuntu 8.04.1 and would like to be able to play ordinary DVDs.
> When I load a disc, Totem opens, the DVD starts to play and then an
> error message, suggesting that libdvdcss is not installed,

See here for solutions to both (and other) problems:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs

Old 08-20-2008, 04:42 PM
"Michael "TheZorch" Haney"

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 11:47 +0100, norman wrote:
>
>> I use Ubuntu 8.04.1 and would like to be able to play ordinary DVDs.
>> When I load a disc, Totem opens, the DVD starts to play and then an
>> error message, suggesting that libdvdcss is not installed,
You need three things. First goto Add/Remove Programs and grab "VLC".
Totem isn't compatible with DVD menus but "VLC" is. You will also need
"Ubuntu Restricted Extras" from Add/Remove Programs. From Synaptic
Package Manager you will need "libdvdcss2" which allows Ubuntu to read
encrypted commercial DVDs. After that you should be good to go.

Installing "Ubuntu Restricted Extras" should also enable you to play
MP3s also.