Old 08-18-2008, 03:02 AM
James Takac

Default Deleting locked files.

Hi

On Monday 18 August 2008 11:51:02 Pattisue Mulder wrote:
> I copied some files from a CD onto the desktop and the folder has a
> padlock on it...is there a way to delete this file...I don't want it on
> the desktop.

I'm assuming you have a gnome desktop, aka, regular ubuntu. type ALT F2 to
bring up a launcher then in it type

sudo nautilus

That'll open up a file browser with root privilages. Just be carefull what you
modify/delete though

James

Old 08-18-2008, 03:13 AM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Sun, 2008-08-17 at 18:51 -0700, Pattisue Mulder wrote:
> I copied some files from a CD onto the desktop and the folder has a
> padlock on it...is there a way to delete this file...I don't want it on
> the desktop.

Sounds like the copy from the CD preserved the read-only permissions on
the directory and its subtree.

Change the permissions on the folder to allow file creation and deletion
within the folder and then delete the folder and its contents. In
Nautilus you can change the folder permissions from Access to Create and
Delete by right clicking on the folder and going to the Properties
Window and going to the Permissions tab. Be sure to click the Apply
Permissions to Enclosed Files. Then you should be able to delete the
folder and all its contents by moving the folder to the Trash.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Old 08-18-2008, 03:14 AM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 01:02:49PM +1000, James Takac wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Monday 18 August 2008 11:51:02 Pattisue Mulder wrote:
> > I copied some files from a CD onto the desktop and the folder has a
> > padlock on it...is there a way to delete this file...I don't want it on
> > the desktop.
>
> I'm assuming you have a gnome desktop, aka, regular ubuntu. type ALT F2 to
> bring up a launcher then in it type
>
> sudo nautilus
>
> That'll open up a file browser with root privilages. Just be carefull what you
> modify/delete though
>
> James

The command given in the last post will work, however in some cases it may cause problems.
For cli programs the command sudo is the one to use. With the Gnome Desktop however use the command gksu
Kubuntu also has a command for it that works like sudo.

Please don't ask me to explain why you shouldn't use the sudo command. It was explained to me at one time however all I remember from the converstaion was "for Gnome programs use the
command "gksu"". The explination did make sense though. I will try to find the reason on the net.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:44 AM
James Takac

Hi Paul

On Monday 18 August 2008 13:14:00 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 01:02:49PM +1000, James Takac wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Monday 18 August 2008 11:51:02 Pattisue Mulder wrote:
> > > I copied some files from a CD onto the desktop and the folder has a
> > > padlock on it...is there a way to delete this file...I don't want it on
> > > the desktop.
> >
> > I'm assuming you have a gnome desktop, aka, regular ubuntu. type ALT F2
> > to bring up a launcher then in it type
> >
> > sudo nautilus
> >
> > That'll open up a file browser with root privilages. Just be carefull
> > what you modify/delete though
> >
> > James
> >
> > --
>
> The command given in the last post will work, however in some cases it may
> cause problems. For cli programs the command sudo is the one to use. With
> the Gnome Desktop however use the command gksu Kubuntu also has a command
> for it that works like sudo.
>
> Please don't ask me to explain why you shouldn't use the sudo command. It
> was explained to me at one time however all I remember from the
> converstaion was "for Gnome programs use the command "gksu"". The
> explination did make sense though. I will try to find the reason on the
> net.

You're right, forgot that for a sec. From memory gksu is for graphical
programs and sudo for shell based?

James

Old 08-18-2008, 04:23 AM
Paul Hartman

Old 08-18-2008, 04:25 AM
Pattisue Mulder

Thank you very much!!! I am new to ubuntu...always used windows
before...like this much better...still learning how to get around in
here...Pattisue

Old 08-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Rashkae

Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 01:02:49PM +1000, James Takac wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On Monday 18 August 2008 11:51:02 Pattisue Mulder wrote:
>>> I copied some files from a CD onto the desktop and the folder has a
>>> padlock on it...is there a way to delete this file...I don't want it on
>>> the desktop.
>> I'm assuming you have a gnome desktop, aka, regular ubuntu. type ALT F2 to
>> bring up a launcher then in it type
>>
>> sudo nautilus
>>
>> That'll open up a file browser with root privilages. Just be carefull what you
>> modify/delete though
>>
>> James

In either case,, opening a root file browser is the equivalent of using
a sledge to swat a fly. Effective, but you're just as likely to hurt
yourself as the fly.

Another post already explained all you need to do to change the
permissions on the files. There is no need to go to root, since the
user presumably already owns these files. (Unless they were copied
there as root in the first place)