FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-17-2008, 11:28 PM
NoOp
 
Default Opera & Seamonkey Issues-Can't Launch From K Menu Or Panel Icon But Only Can From CLI

On 08/17/2008 04:24 PM, NoOp wrote:

>
> Post:
>
> cat /home/lchata/.local/share/application/seamonkey.desktop
>

Sorry - and:

cat /usr/share/app-install/desktop/seamonkey.desktop


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-18-2008, 12:52 AM
NoOp
 
Default Opera & Seamonkey Issues-Can't Launch From K Menu Or Panel Icon But Only Can From CLI

NoOp wrote:
> On 08/17/2008 04:24 PM, NoOp wrote:
>
>> Post:
>>
>> cat /home/lchata/.local/share/application/seamonkey.desktop
>>
>
> Sorry - and:
>
> cat /usr/share/app-install/desktop/seamonkey.desktop
>
>

OK... I'll show you mine if you'll show me your's :-)

$ cat /usr/share/app-install/desktop/seamonkey.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
X-AppInstall-Package=seamonkey-browser
X-AppInstall-Popcon=2871
X-AppInstall-Section=universe

Name=Seamonkey
GenericName=Internet Suite
Exec=seamonkey %u
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=GTK;Network;
Icon=seamonkey

$ cat seamonkey.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Categories=GTK;Network;
Comment=
Exec=seamonkey %u -mail -browser
GenericName=Internet Suite
Icon=seamonkey
Name=Seamonkey
NoDisplay=false
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=0
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-18-2008, 03:36 AM
Leonard Chatagnier
 
Default Opera & Seamonkey Issues-Can't Launch From K Menu Or Panel Icon But Only Can From CLI

--- NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> NoOp wrote:
> > On 08/17/2008 04:24 PM, NoOp wrote:
> >
> >> Post:
> >>
> >> cat
>
/home/lchata/.local/share/application/seamonkey.desktop
> >>
> >
> > Sorry - and:
> >
> > cat
> /usr/share/app-install/desktop/seamonkey.desktop
> >
> >
>
> OK... I'll show you mine if you'll show me your's
> :-)
>
Yeah, sure anytime. These are not panel icon settings
as I showed and listed but I'll check against my file
settings just the same.

> $ cat
> /usr/share/app-install/desktop/seamonkey.desktop
> [Desktop Entry]
> X-AppInstall-Package=seamonkey-browser
> X-AppInstall-Popcon=2871
> X-AppInstall-Section=universe
>
> Name=Seamonkey
> GenericName=Internet Suite
> Exec=seamonkey %u
> Terminal=false
> Type=Application
> Categories=GTK;Network;
> Icon=seamonkey
>

These were identical to mine. OK.

> $ cat seamonkey.desktop
No output for cat seamonkey.desktop, perhaps you have
modified your path variable. I haven't, but found 3
seamonkey.desktop files with locate:
/home/lchata/.local/share/applications/seamonkey.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/seamonkey.desktop

/usr/share/applications/seamonkey.desktop
The second two had entries identical to yours but
didn;t have all the entries your file had. The
/home/lchata/.local/share/applications/ entry was most
close to yours but had the diffs shown below:
> [Desktop Entry]
> Categories=GTK;Network;
> Comment=
> Exec=seamonkey %u -mail -browser

I had: Exec=ksystraycmds

> GenericName=Internet Suite
> Icon=seamonkey
I had this after the icon=seamonkey entry:
MimeType=text/html;message/x-gnu-rmail;message/rfc822;message/news;message/disposition-notification;message/delivery-status;application/xhtml+xml;

> Name=Seamonkey
> NoDisplay=false
> StartupNotify=true
> Terminal=0
> TerminalOptions=
> Type=Application
> X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
> X-KDE-Username=
>
I also had a few more title entries than you but all
had no entries after the = sign.
I have no idea what "Exec=ksystraycmds" means or
does. Or, if I should change it. Suggestions? Don't
think anything else that differed has any consequence.

>
Thanks for the info,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-18-2008, 04:30 AM
Leonard Chatagnier
 
Default Opera & Seamonkey Issues-Can't Launch From K Menu Or Panel Icon But Only Can From CLI

Sorry, I answered your later reply first. More below:
--- NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 08/17/2008 03:27 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > Have posted this issue but no solution. So will
> try
> > another approach. If there's someone in user land
> > running KDE 4.1 Hardy up-to -date who is able to
> > launch these apps from K menu or panel icon or
> from
> > gnome menu or panel icon for that matter would you
> be
> > so kind to post your panel icon settings that work
> for
> > you. When I first loaded seamonkey and opera from
> the
> > distros using aptitude they did not show up in the
> K
> > menu or sys tray. Had to use right click K
> menu->menu
> > editor to add them and right click panel
> icon->icon
> > settings to modify icon properties. They never
> have
> > worked even after revision.
> > Here are my panel icon info:
>
> My 4.1 (changes are noted in line):
>
> >
> > For Seamonkey:
> > General Tab
> > Type: Desktop Configuration File
> > Location: /home/lchata/.local/share/application
> > Size: 442 B (442)
> 261 B(261)
> > Modified:2008-08-17 07:58
> > Accessed:2008-08-17 07:59
> (both modified and Accessed are system dependent)
>
Guess this means 32 bit and 64 bit entries are
different?

> Permissions Tab:
> Owner: Can Read & Write
> Group: Forbidden
> Others: Forbidden
>
I have this just didn't bother to add it as I didn't
see a potential issue.

> >
> > Application Tab
> > Name: Seamonkey Navigator
> Name: Seamonkey
> > Description: Web Browser
> Description: Internet Suite
> > Command: seamonkey-browser %u
> > Work path: /usr/bin/seamonkey
> blank
> > If an item is not listed it was/is blank including
> > Supported file types: (even though it was
> originally)
> >
Made changes to agree with you and will restart X and
see what happens. Nothing changed; still wont start
from panel or K menu. Even right clicked K menu tray
icon and made sure everything using menu editor agreed
with the panel icon settings. Also rebooted, still
wont start from either KDE menus or form panel icon.
Still starts from konsole CLI with this output posted
before but may jog someones memory:
lchata@ubuntu-hardy-64bit:~$ seamonkey
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsdsp.so.0' from
LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsc.so.0' from
LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/gcjwebplugin.so
[libxul.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory]
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsdsp.so.0' from
LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsc.so.0' from
LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsdsp.so.0' from
LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsc.so.0' from
LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
lchata@ubuntu-hardy-64bit:~$

<snio>

> cat
>
/home/lchata/.local/share/application/seamonkey.desktop
>
chata@ubuntu-hardy-64bit:/etc$ cat
/home/lchata/.local/share/applications/seamo
[Desktop Entry]
Categories=GTK;Network;
Comment[en_US]=
Comment=
Exec=ksystraycmds
GenericName[en_US]=Internet Suite
GenericName=Internet Suite
Icon=seamonkey
MimeType=text/html;message/x-gnu-rmail;message/rfc822;message/news;message/dispo
Name[en_US]=Seamonkey
Name=Seamonkey
NoDisplay=false
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-DBUS-ServiceName=
X-DBUS-StartupType=
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=
lchata@ubuntu-hardy-64bit:/etc$

>
I guess I should read my list mail in chronological
order. Sorry for that.



Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-18-2008, 05:14 PM
NoOp
 
Default Opera & Seamonkey Issues-Can't Launch From K Menu Or Panel Icon But Only Can From CLI

On 08/17/2008 08:36 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

[snip]
>
> These were identical to mine. OK.
>
>> $ cat seamonkey.desktop
> No output for cat seamonkey.desktop, perhaps you have
> modified your path variable. I haven't, but found 3
> seamonkey.desktop files with locate:
> /home/lchata/.local/share/applications/seamonkey.desktop
> /usr/share/app-install/desktop/seamonkey.desktop

Sorry, yes it was supposed to be:
cat /usr/share/app-install/desktop/seamonkey.desktop

>
> /usr/share/applications/seamonkey.desktop
> The second two had entries identical to yours but
> didn;t have all the entries your file had. The
> /home/lchata/.local/share/applications/ entry was most
> close to yours but had the diffs shown below:
>> [Desktop Entry]
>> Categories=GTK;Network;
>> Comment=
>> Exec=seamonkey %u -mail -browser

Note: I modified my command to open the mail window first and the brower
second, on a non-modified version it will simply be:
Exec=seamonkey %u
Also, other than that, this is on a test system with a new, fresh
8.04.1, new kde 4.1, and synaptics installed SM.

>
> I had: Exec=ksystraycmds

And that probably is your problem:
http://www.digipedia.pl/man/ksystraycmd.1.html

>
>> GenericName=Internet Suite
>> Icon=seamonkey
> I had this after the icon=seamonkey entry:
> MimeType=text/html;message/x-gnu-rmail;message/rfc822;message/news;message/disposition-notification;message/delivery-status;application/xhtml+xml;
>
>> Name=Seamonkey
>> NoDisplay=false
>> StartupNotify=true
>> Terminal=0
>> TerminalOptions=
>> Type=Application
>> X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
>> X-KDE-Username=
>>
> I also had a few more title entries than you but all
> had no entries after the = sign.
> I have no idea what "Exec=ksystraycmds" means or
> does. Or, if I should change it. Suggestions? Don't
> think anything else that differed has any consequence.

http://www.digipedia.pl/man/ksystraycmd.1.html
Yes. Change it to Exec=seamonkey %u
You see, "Exec=" means "run this as a command". Now, if you try to run
'ksystraycmds' or 'ksystraycmd' from the terminal what happens?
Right... but if you run 'seamonkey' from the terminal SeaMonkey starts
up. Note: 'seamonkey %u' from the terminal will open up SM and try to
use %u as a url, so leave the %u off in terminal mode, %u only applies
to the menu application.
In fact, I'd recommend that you rename the entire file to
x-seamonkey.desktop-x and just take mine and plug it in and see what
happens. It certainly won't hurt anything.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-18-2008, 05:40 PM
NoOp
 
Default Opera & Seamonkey Issues-Can't Launch From K Menu Or Panel Icon But Only Can From CLI

On 08/17/2008 09:30 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> Made changes to agree with you and will restart X and
> see what happens. Nothing changed; still wont start
> from panel or K menu. Even right clicked K menu tray
> icon and made sure everything using menu editor agreed
> with the panel icon settings. Also rebooted, still
> wont start from either KDE menus or form panel icon.

see my response to your previous post.

> Still starts from konsole CLI with this output posted
> before but may jog someones memory:
> lchata@ubuntu-hardy-64bit:~$ seamonkey
> ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsdsp.so.0' from
> LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
> ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsc.so.0' from
> LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
> LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/gcjwebplugin.so
> [libxul.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory]
> ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsdsp.so.0' from
> LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
> ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsc.so.0' from
> LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
> ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsdsp.so.0' from
> LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
> ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsc.so.0' from
> LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
> lchata@ubuntu-hardy-64bit:~$
>

This might be of interest:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/238606
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/238606/comments/2


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Leonard Chatagnier
 
Default Opera & Seamonkey Issues-Can't Launch From K Menu Or Panel Icon But Only Can From CLI

NoOp,
Thanks for the two links. I switched from swf to
slash-plugin and it may have helped some. Actually
had done the /etc/alternatives thing before to select
ffflashplugin but for some reason it wont stay put.
will get back on your first post.

Len
--- NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 08/17/2008 09:30 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
> > Made changes to agree with you and will restart X
> and
> > see what happens. Nothing changed; still wont
> start
> > from panel or K menu. Even right clicked K menu
> tray
> > icon and made sure everything using menu editor
> agreed
> > with the panel icon settings. Also rebooted, still
> > wont start from either KDE menus or form panel
> icon.
>
> see my response to your previous post.
>
> > Still starts from konsole CLI with this output
> posted
> > before but may jog someones memory:
> > lchata@ubuntu-hardy-64bit:~$ seamonkey
> > ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsdsp.so.0'
> from
> > LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
> > ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsc.so.0' from
> > LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
> > LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
> >
>
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/gcjwebplugin.so
> > [libxul.so: cannot open shared object file: No
> such
> > file or directory]
> > ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsdsp.so.0'
> from
> > LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
> > ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsc.so.0' from
> > LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
> > ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsdsp.so.0'
> from
> > LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
> > ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libartsc.so.0' from
> > LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
> > lchata@ubuntu-hardy-64bit:~$
> >
>
> This might be of interest:
>
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/238606
>
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/238606/comments/2
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>


Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:20 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org