Old 08-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Jet

Default Ubuntu crashes (shut downs automatically) when browsing the Web

When I load two or more pages, Ubuntu shutdowns automatically. The
browser is Mozilla Firefox. I think this is a bug. I report it to
Launchpad as a bug. I don't know how this happens. I may think it's
the LiveCD instill who made this bug because the LiveCD crashes when I
load pages too much on Mozilla Firefox. It may be a bug with the Linux
kernel.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:13 PM
"David Fox"

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Jet <jet123.jet123@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I load two or more pages, Ubuntu shutdowns automatically. The
> browser is Mozilla Firefox. I think this is a bug. I report it to

Did you run memtest off the CD? Is the image good/verified? That seems
like it might be a hardware error.

What kind of machine are you using - and what version of Ubuntu:?

> Launchpad as a bug. I don't know how this happens. I may think it's
> the LiveCD instill who made this bug because the LiveCD crashes when I
> load pages too much on Mozilla Firefox. It may be a bug with the Linux
> kernel.

Do you have any swap partition defined?

Old 08-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Karl Larsen

Jet wrote:
> When I load two or more pages, Ubuntu shutdowns automatically. The
> browser is Mozilla Firefox. I think this is a bug. I report it to
> Launchpad as a bug. I don't know how this happens. I may think it's
> the LiveCD instill who made this bug because the LiveCD crashes when I
> load pages too much on Mozilla Firefox. It may be a bug with the Linux
> kernel.

There are 1000's of us who loaded Ubuntu Hardy from the LiveCD and
have no problems your having. I think your problem must be related to a
computer problem but I have no ideas what. This is NOT A Bug! Please
remove your bug.

Tell us more about your computer.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Jet

The Web site that make my laptop crash is YouTube. It may be the
Flash. Maybe the problem with the Linux kernel. My laptop is HP Compaq
Presario V5000 and Ubuntu version is 8.04.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:42 AM
Jet

The problem has to do with the software, not the LiveCD and it
actually my computer that the OS shutdown automatically, not the
LiveCD or (maybe) using too many resources.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:01 AM
NoOp

On 08/17/2008 03:27 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Jet wrote:
>> When I load two or more pages, Ubuntu shutdowns automatically. The
>> browser is Mozilla Firefox. I think this is a bug. I report it to
>> Launchpad as a bug. I don't know how this happens. I may think it's
>> the LiveCD instill who made this bug because the LiveCD crashes when I
>> load pages too much on Mozilla Firefox. It may be a bug with the Linux
>> kernel.
>>

> There are 1000's of us who loaded Ubuntu Hardy from the LiveCD and
> have no problems your having. I think your problem must be related to a
> computer problem but I have no ideas what. This is NOT A Bug! Please
> remove your bug.

Perhaps it is, perhaps it isn't. Why on earth would you tell Jet to
"remove your bug" if: 1) you've not looked at the bug report, and 2)
you've no details?

Old 08-18-2008, 01:10 AM
NoOp

On 08/17/2008 05:40 PM, Jet wrote:
> The Web site that make my laptop crash is YouTube. It may be the
> Flash. Maybe the problem with the Linux kernel. My laptop is HP Compaq
> Presario V5000 and Ubuntu version is 8.04.

1. Can you please provide a link to the bug report?
2. It's pretty hard for anyone here to read your mind & try to help with
the little information you've provided.
Rather than expect others on the list to play a guessing game
regarding your issue, turn the situation around & think about what you
would need/expect if a friend sent you the same and asked you to help
troublehsoot his/her problem.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:46 AM
Jet

When I use Ubuntu for using Adobe flash, it may shut down
automatically. I sometimes load pages and it turns off automatically.
It maybe the Flash. I may reinstall Flash to fix the problem. The Web
site I use Flash mostly is YouTube.

It maybe a kernel problem because it shut downs when a problem happens.

Bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/258886

Old 08-18-2008, 03:15 AM
NoOp

On 08/17/2008 06:46 PM, Jet wrote:
> When I use Ubuntu for using Adobe flash, it may shut down
> automatically. I sometimes load pages and it turns off automatically.
> It maybe the Flash. I may reinstall Flash to fix the problem. The Web
> site I use Flash mostly is YouTube.
>
> It maybe a kernel problem because it shut downs when a problem happens.
>
> Bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/258886

Karl may be right... you probably should convert the bug to question, or
remove it as you provide *no* useful information for anyone to assist in
troubleshooting the problem.

So let's start here:

1. From the terminal please provide the output of:

uname -a
locate libflashplayer.so
ls /var/crash
which firefox

Also advise if you are using the standard Ubuntu Gnome desktop or
kubuntu KDE desktop.

2. From your FireFox browser, enter: aboutlugins
in the URL bar and provide what you see under "Shockwave Flash".

3. Provide a specific link to the youtube video that crashes your system.

You still haven't provided any information regarding your system.