Old 08-17-2008, 09:02 PM
ac

Default For newbies rutebook

Doug Pollard wrote:
> A while back somone on this list suggested loading and reading Rutebook.
> As far as I am concerned that was a stroke of geniouse. It is the best
> tutorial I have ever read on any technical subject. It is straight to
> the point and doesn't explain anything that doesn't need to be known for
> the particlar subject being read at the moment. Evey little shor
> unmemorable two and three letter command has had it's meaning spelled
> out so you have a reference to remeber by. I find it's much easyier to
> rember for example "change diectory than CD. I can't get my mind around
> cd it's not anchored to anything. But the biggest thing I learned is
> that in the past I have read something and felt dumb if I didn't
> understand it. He lets you know to read everything three times, do the
> exercise and don't move on until you know the subject.
> I have been reading off and on a couple days for a total of one good
> days reading and have learned more than I have in all the reading I have
> done on linux put together. I haven't learned a lot but what I have
> learned," I KNOW." One thing I think I have found is I am not just
> dumb ,this stuff is hard. I can't stress enough how good this tutorial
> is for newbies.
> Doug

thanks for this - I have noted it and will be using it in the future
--
ac

Old 08-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Karl Larsen

ac wrote:
> Doug Pollard wrote:
>
>> A while back somone on this list suggested loading and reading Rutebook.
>> As far as I am concerned that was a stroke of geniouse. It is the best
>> tutorial I have ever read on any technical subject. It is straight to
>> the point and doesn't explain anything that doesn't need to be known for
>> the particlar subject being read at the moment. Evey little shor
>> unmemorable two and three letter command has had it's meaning spelled
>> out so you have a reference to remeber by. I find it's much easyier to
>> rember for example "change diectory than CD. I can't get my mind around
>> cd it's not anchored to anything. But the biggest thing I learned is
>> that in the past I have read something and felt dumb if I didn't
>> understand it. He lets you know to read everything three times, do the
>> exercise and don't move on until you know the subject.
>> I have been reading off and on a couple days for a total of one good
>> days reading and have learned more than I have in all the reading I have
>> done on linux put together. I haven't learned a lot but what I have
>> learned," I KNOW." One thing I think I have found is I am not just
>> dumb ,this stuff is hard. I can't stress enough how good this tutorial
>> is for newbies.
>> Doug
>>

> thanks for this - I have noted it and will be using it in the future

Yes I did sudo apt-get install rutebook and when it loaded I found
it at /usr/share/doc/rutebook and at /html it runs on my Firefox just
fine. Saved it like a web page so I can get to it easy.

It's a real good text covering how computers in general and Linux
computers in particular work. It is more complete than the Red Hat Class
and in fact if you complete this study you can pass the Red Hat Class
with ease.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI