Old 08-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Where to put the Grub loader

I was told by someone that since Windows always puts it's loader on
the first hard drive Master Boot Record (MBR) location it would be good
to install Grub on another Hard Drive or at least another partition.

This sounds good at first flash but then a problem. Your BIOS
looking for something to load looks ONLY at the MBR of the first drive
period.

So it is not possible to install Grub elsewhere and expect it to
work. I have tried this and yes it is true. It doesn't work.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Ansgar Burchardt

Hi,

Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> writes:
> This sounds good at first flash but then a problem. Your BIOS
> looking for something to load looks ONLY at the MBR of the first drive
> period.
>
> So it is not possible to install Grub elsewhere and expect it to
> work. I have tried this and yes it is true. It doesn't work.

It is certainly possible, but you have to set up the BIOS accordingly.
I have grub installed on hdb and it works just fine.

Regards,
Ansgar

--
PGP: 1024D/595FAD19 739E 2D09 0969 BEA9 9797 B055 DDB0 2FF7 595F AD19

Old 08-17-2008, 11:33 PM
NoOp

On 08/17/2008 01:34 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> I was told by someone that since Windows always puts it's loader on
> the first hard drive Master Boot Record (MBR) location it would be good
> to install Grub on another Hard Drive or at least another partition.
>
> This sounds good at first flash but then a problem. Your BIOS
> looking for something to load looks ONLY at the MBR of the first drive
> period.
>
> So it is not possible to install Grub elsewhere and expect it to
> work. I have tried this and yes it is true. It doesn't work.
>

> Karl

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

Enjoy :-)

Old 08-18-2008, 04:36 AM
Derek Broughton

Karl Larsen wrote:

> I was told by someone that since Windows always puts it's loader on
> the first hard drive Master Boot Record (MBR) location it would be good
> to install Grub on another Hard Drive or at least another partition.
>
> This sounds good at first flash but then a problem. Your BIOS
> looking for something to load looks ONLY at the MBR of the first drive
> period.

You need a better BIOS. Mine looks at the very least on CD/DVD, USB and the
first hard drive.

> So it is not possible to install Grub elsewhere and expect it to
> work. I have tried this and yes it is true. It doesn't work.

That advice _did_ suggest modifying the _Windows_ boot loader to find
grub...
--
derek