Old 08-17-2008, 06:57 PM
NoOp

Default where is alsaconf?

On 08/17/2008 09:57 AM, oxy wrote:
> Hi dudes,
> look at that:
>
> me> su # login
> sucsessfully to root
> # download and install alsa-driver-1.0.17
> root> apt-get install alsa-utils # install sucsessful
> root> updatedb
> root> locate alsaconf
>
> And no alsaconf is found! Any idea?
> Its an ubuntu 8.0.4 Linux 2.6.24-19-generic

There are dudettes here too...

I think what you are looking for is alsamixer - no need to do root, just:

alsamixer

$ locate alsamixer
/usr/share/doc/alsa-utils/README.alsamixer
/usr/share/man/man1/alsamixer.1.gz
/usr/share/app-install/icons/_usr_share_pixmaps_alsamixergui.xpm
/usr/share/app-install/icons/_usr_share_pixmaps_gnome-alsamixer_gnome-alsamixer-icon.png
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/gnome-alsamixer.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/alsamixergui.desktop
/usr/bin/alsamixer

Old 08-17-2008, 07:01 PM
oxy

> I think what you are looking for is alsamixer - no need to do root, just:

no, i search for alsaconf. I want to configure alsa for my sound card.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:00 PM
NoOp

On 08/17/2008 12:01 PM, oxy wrote:
>> I think what you are looking for is alsamixer - no need to do root, just:
>
> no, i search for alsaconf. I want to configure alsa for my sound card.

Looks like it was removed in 2006:
https://launchpad.net/alsa-utils/+bug/29597
[ alsaconf missing from alsa-utils]

Old 08-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Derek Broughton

NoOp wrote:

> On 08/17/2008 09:57 AM, oxy wrote:
>> Hi dudes,
>> look at that:
>>
>> me> su # login
>> sucsessfully to root
>> # download and install alsa-driver-1.0.17
>> root> apt-get install alsa-utils # install
>> sucsessful root> updatedb
>> root> locate alsaconf
>>
>> And no alsaconf is found! Any idea?
>> Its an ubuntu 8.0.4 Linux 2.6.24-19-generic
>>

> There are dudettes here too...
>
> I think what you are looking for is alsamixer - no need to do root, just:

yeah, it seems to me alsaconf disappeared years ago.
--
derek

Old 08-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Nigel Henry

On Sunday 17 August 2008 21:01, oxy wrote:
> > I think what you are looking for is alsamixer - no need to do root, just:
>
> no, i search for alsaconf. I want to configure alsa for my sound card.

Sadly alsaconf has been deprecated, and sent to the great bit bucket in the
sky. If I understand it correctly the kernel is now supposed to detect sound
cards, and set up alsa correctly.

This is not always the case, so some manual intervention may be needed to get
your sounds to work.

What problem are you having with your sounds? I may, or may not be able to
help.

The ouput of the following commands may be a start.

cat /proc/asound/cards
cat /proc/asound/version
lsmod | grep snd
lspci (just the bits for the sound card/s

All the best.

Nigel.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:36 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

oxy schreef:
>> I think what you are looking for is alsamixer - no need to do root, just:
>
> no, i search for alsaconf. I want to configure alsa for my sound card.

Look for alsa.conf. It's normally in /usr/share/alsa.
Other alsa files can also be found there.
Joep

Old 08-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Res

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:

> yeah, it seems to me alsaconf disappeared years ago.

Maybe they need to realise, just because they use Ubuntu, doesn't mean
they MUST use Ubuntu's version. http://www.alsa-project.org

--
Cheers
Res

"The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
one. The game will never be over, because we're keeping the dream alive"
-Freiheit

Old 08-19-2008, 10:31 AM
oxy

> The ouput of the following commands may be a start.
> cat /proc/asound/cards
> cat /proc/asound/version
> lsmod | grep snd
> lspci (just the bits for the sound card/s

Ok, here we go ...

# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
HDA ATI SB at 0xd0400000 irq 18

# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.16.
Compiled on Jun 18 2008 for kernel 2.6.24-19-generic (SMP).

# lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_intel 344728 3
snd_pcm_oss 42144 0
snd_mixer_oss 17920 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 78596 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc 11400 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd_hwdep 10500 1 snd_hda_intel
snd_seq_dummy 4868 0
snd_seq_oss 35584 0
snd_seq_midi 9376 0
snd_rawmidi 25760 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 8320 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 54224 6
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
snd_timer 24836 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 9612 5
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
snd 56996 17
snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,sn d_hwdep,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_ seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore 8800 1 snd

# lspci
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB4x0 High Definition
Audio Controller (rev 01)

I'll post any new info i find. Thanx ...

Old 08-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Nigel Henry

On Tuesday 19 August 2008 12:31, oxy wrote:
> > The ouput of the following commands may be a start.
> > cat /proc/asound/cards
> > cat /proc/asound/version
> > lsmod | grep snd
> > lspci (just the bits for the sound card/s
>
> Ok, here we go ...
>
> # cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
> HDA ATI SB at 0xd0400000 irq 18
>
> # cat /proc/asound/version
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.16.
> Compiled on Jun 18 2008 for kernel 2.6.24-19-generic (SMP).
>
> # lsmod | grep snd
> snd_hda_intel 344728 3
> snd_pcm_oss 42144 0
> snd_mixer_oss 17920 1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm 78596 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_page_alloc 11400 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
> snd_hwdep 10500 1 snd_hda_intel
> snd_seq_dummy 4868 0
> snd_seq_oss 35584 0
> snd_seq_midi 9376 0
> snd_rawmidi 25760 1 snd_seq_midi
> snd_seq_midi_event 8320 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
> snd_seq 54224 6
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
> snd_timer 24836 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
> snd_seq_device 9612 5
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
> snd 56996 17
> snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,sn d_hwdep,snd_seq_dummy,snd
>_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_de vice soundcore
> 8800 1 snd
>
> # lspci
> 00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB4x0 High Definition
> Audio Controller (rev 01)
>
> I'll post any new info i find. Thanx ...

Apart from you having said in your original post, that you'd installed
alsa-driver 1.0.17, and 1.0.16 is showing as the driver version, those
outputs above seem fine.

What do you see when you open alsamixer as user on the CLI? are any controls
muted? The "M" key will toggle the state, and some sliders may as default be
down, to save your ears when the sound initially starts. At the top of
alsamixer you should see a reference to a chipset/codec. Would you post back
which one it is.

hda-intel cards can be problematic, and you may have to set an options line
in /etc/modprobe.conf, or /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base (depending on your
distro), which will load snd-hda-intel using a specific model option. The
model options available will depend on your codec, and you may have to put
something like this, as an example, see below.
options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba

Which make/model of computer is this?

All the best.

Nigel.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:17 PM
oxy

> Apart from you having said in your original post, that you'd installed
> alsa-driver 1.0.17, and 1.0.16 is showing as the driver version, those
> outputs above seem fine.

Ops, maybe i installed 1.0.16, which is already the ubuntu version :-)

> What do you see when you open alsamixer as user on the CLI? are any controls
> muted? The "M" key will toggle the state, and some sliders may as default be
> down, to save your ears when the sound initially starts. At the top of
> alsamixer you should see a reference to a chipset/codec. Would you post back
> which one it is.

From alsamixer:
Card: HDA ATI SB

Chip: Analog Devices AD1986A

I cannot set the Hook-off field in alsamixer. It is always off.

> hda-intel cards can be problematic, and you may have to set an options line
> in /etc/modprobe.conf, or /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base (depending on your
> distro), which will load snd-hda-intel using a specific model option. The
> model options available will depend on your codec, and you may have to put
> something like this, as an example, see below.
> options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba
>
> Which make/model of computer is this?

Samsung Cutama R45.
Thanx a lot again ...