Old 12-07-2007, 09:38 AM
bill purvis

Default Problem with pound signs () in terminal window

Hi,
I changed to Ubuntu a few weeks ago and have only just
noticed a small problem: when I type a pound sign ()
in the terminal window it acts a bit like ^C, cancelling
the input line and displaying a '#' character.
I noticed this trying to update stuff in my MySQL
database and thought at first it was a MySQL problem
but then realised that it does it at the normal command
prompt also. I used to use XTerm terminal windows under
Mandrake before I switched and never saw this problem.
Anyone know what is going on, and more importantly,
how to get out of it?

Bill

Old 12-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 10:38 +0000, bill purvis wrote:

> I changed to Ubuntu a few weeks ago and have only just
> noticed a small problem: when I type a pound sign ()
> in the terminal window it acts a bit like ^C, cancelling
> the input line and displaying a '#' character.

Sounds like your terminal control characters are set wrong. Do an:

stty -a

and see what the intr (interrupt) character is.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Old 12-09-2007, 02:15 PM
bill purvis

On Friday 07 December 2007, Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 10:38 +0000, bill purvis wrote:
> > I changed to Ubuntu a few weeks ago and have only just
> > noticed a small problem: when I type a pound sign ()
> > in the terminal window it acts a bit like ^C, cancelling
> > the input line and displaying a '#' character.
>
> Sounds like your terminal control characters are set wrong. Do an:
>
> stty -a
>
> and see what the intr (interrupt) character is.
>
> --
> Smoot Carl-Mitchell
> System/Network Architect
> email: smoot@tic.com
> cell: +1 602 421 9005
> home: +1 480 922 7313
No, I finally tracked it down to the readline config file.
If I do
cat >/dev/null
and type in pound signs, they get input OK.

The Ubuntu distro file (/etc/inputrc) has a commented out
line:
# set meta-convert off
Which implies that meta-convert is on. Uncommenting this
line removes the problem, at least as far as terminal input
is concerned. I'm still having a problem with inputting
the character from a file, though. I suspect that I need
to do a bit more experimenting.....

Bill