Old 08-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Justin Tan

Default Internet Connection Drops

I have to restart the computer. I tried typing "sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart" but it did not work.

Justin

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 02:58:22 -0400
> From: "alex williams" <untermensch.ausdehnung@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Internet Connection Drops Periodically
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> Can you just reconnect to the network? or do you have to restart?
>
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Justin Tan <lord_king10@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > My internet connection drops after about an hour of inactivity and I got to
> > restart the computer completely.
> >
> > I use a Thinkpad T61 with the Atheros Wireless AR5418 and the driver I use
> > is the XP version, using network manager to configure the driver. I'm using
> > the wireless connection and the router is the Linksys Router
> >
> > I am currently using Ubuntu 8.04.
> >
> > Could anyone help me with this? Thank you.
> >
> > Justin

Make the most of what you can do on your PC and the Web, just the way you want. Windows Live

Old 08-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Sylphid

Have you tried reloading the module? sudo modprobe -r ndiswrapper &&
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

Sylphid

Old 08-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Derek Broughton

Justin Tan wrote:

> I have to restart the computer. I tried typing "sudo
> /etc/init.d/networking restart" but it did not work.

Please don't top-post, it makes it hard to have a conversation.

>> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Justin Tan <lord_king10@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > My internet connection drops after about an hour of inactivity and I
>> > got to restart the computer completely.
>> >
>> > I use a Thinkpad T61 with the Atheros Wireless AR5418 and the driver I
>> > use is the XP version, using network manager to configure the driver.
>> > I'm using the wireless connection and the router is the Linksys Router

What version of Ubuntu are you using? My wife's atheros works natively (no
ndiswrapper) on Hardy. otoh, she occasionally (certainly not after a mere
hour, though) has trouble with that too, requiring a reboot.
--
derek

Old 08-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Sun, 2008-08-17 at 12:21 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> What version of Ubuntu are you using? My wife's atheros works natively (no
> ndiswrapper) on Hardy. otoh, she occasionally (certainly not after a mere
> hour, though) has trouble with that too, requiring a reboot.

I have a T61 using the Atheros restricted driver and it works fine with
Network Manager. Here is my lspci line for the Atheros hardware:

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212
802.11abg NIC (rev 01)

I notice you seem to have a difference in hardware (AR5418) which may
break the restricted driver. Try it if you have not done so already. I
have found the Atheros restricted driver to be quite robust.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect