Old 08-17-2008, 02:31 AM
Linda Vest Castanos

Default restore grub-seperate partion?

I like that smart policy, you would think if the grub ever goes, you
still would have a different set commands to fix the problem. I wish it
could be install on a DEDICATED PARTITION (Linux or Windows). I don't
have a problem with restoring a partition (Acronis). Next time it
happens, I will try Derek way first. I do like simple. The only thing I
use Windows for is backup and my scanner. I wish I was a Ubuntu Guru but
I'm not.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:13 AM
"Mumia W."

On 08/16/2008 09:31 PM, Linda Vest Castanos wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 15:59 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Mumia W. wrote:
>>
>>> I think a smart policy is to never install Grub to the MBR on dual-boot
>>> systems. Microsoft wants the MBR, so let them have it. Grub should be
>>> installed into the Linux partition's bootsector, and the NT-Loader
>>> should be configured to provide an option to boot Linux.
>> I tend to agree - but last time I tried that, there wasn't any easy way to
>> modify the NT loader unless you were running Vista Pro or something else
>> costly. I would assume that as part of "wubi", we have a simple tool that
>> can do that, now - is it easily accessible even for those not using Wubi?
> I like that smart policy, you would think if the grub ever goes, you
> still would have a different set commands to fix the problem. I wish it
> could be install on a DEDICATED PARTITION (Linux or Windows). I don't
> have a problem with restoring a partition (Acronis). Next time it
> happens, I will try Derek way first. I do like simple. The only thing I
> use Windows for is backup and my scanner. I wish I was a Ubuntu Guru but
> I'm not.

Derek, IIRC the NT-loader is configured by (carefully) editing
C:oot.ini under Windows XP. I have no experience with Vista; it would
be nice if Vista provided a GUI tool for editing boot.ini, because one
wrong character in boot.ini can make the system unbootable.

Linda, I think you've already installed Linux to a partition because
WUBI probably has no need for Grub. If that's so, then you're free to
install grub to that partition[0], and I recommend creating a Grub
bootable CD-ROM too. One change you would make to the information
provided in your initial post[1] would be to specify the Linux partition
in the setup command, e.g.:

grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
Outputs ===> (hd0,14)
grub> root (hd0,14)
grub> setup (hd0,14)

The find command will tell you the true partition name to install to.
After doing the above commands, you'll have to copy the bootsector from
(hd0,14 [/dev/sda15]) to a place where Windows can see it and configure
the NT-Loader[2].

However, if you don't wish to deal with the complexity of copying a
bootsector (and modifying boot.ini), just install to the MBR of the
first hard disk:

grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
Outputs ===> (hd0,14)
grub> root (hd0,14)
grub> setup (hd0)

In short, the method given you by [1] is correct once you've figured out
where your Linux partition is located (in Grub terminology).

Old 08-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Derek Broughton

Mumia W. wrote:

> Derek, IIRC the NT-loader is configured by (carefully) editing
> C:oot.ini under Windows XP. I have no experience with Vista; it would
> be nice if Vista provided a GUI tool for editing boot.ini, because one
> wrong character in boot.ini can make the system unbootable.

Right, I recall now actually editing boot.ini under XP, but you can't do
that in Vista, and the tool they use is not available for Vista Home.

--
derek

Old 08-17-2008, 08:14 PM
NoOp

On 08/17/2008 01:13 AM, Mumia W. wrote:

> Linda, I think you've already installed Linux to a partition because
> WUBI probably has no need for Grub. If that's so, then you're free to

Umm... yes Wubi uses grub. In fact a grub menu.lst is created and
installed on the Windows machine in:

ubuntudisksootgrub

and

ubuntuwinboot

On a dual boot system the Wubi menu.lst is modified to show all other
OS's as well. Here is mine (wubi menu.lst) on a dual boot where Ubuntu
(Gutsy) is on one drive (sda1) and WinXPPro w/wubi/ubuntu (Hardy 8.04.1)
is installed on the other (sdb1) - note the "looped=" entries:

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
root ()/ubuntu/disks
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=UUID=<snipped>
loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic (recovery mode)
root ()/ubuntu/disks
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=UUID=<snipped>
loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, memtest86+
root ()/ubuntu/disks
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
# ones.
title Other operating systems:
root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
# linux installation on /dev/sda1.
title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-15-generic (on /dev/sda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-15-generic root=UUID=<snipped> ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-15-generic
savedefault
boot

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
# linux installation on /dev/sda1.
title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-15-generic (recovery mode) (on /dev/sda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-15-generic root=UUID=<snipped> ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-15-generic
savedefault
boot

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
# linux installation on /dev/sda1.
title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (on /dev/sda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=<snipped> ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
savedefault
boot

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
# linux installation on /dev/sda1.
title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode) (on /dev/sda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=<snipped> ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
savedefault
boot

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
# linux installation on /dev/sda1.
title Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+ (on /dev/sda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
savedefault
boot

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sdb1
title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
root (hd1,0)
savedefault