Old 08-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Mikael Backman

Default flashing mobo bios failed...

Hi,
I flashed the bios of one of my cumputers.. It failed.. Now it wont
boot.... Is there some way to save the mobo or is it just junk now?
Its a msi k9vgm-v

/Mikael

Old 08-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Albert Charron

Mikael Backman wrote:

Hi,
I flashed the bios of one of my cumputers.. It failed.. Now it wont
boot.... Is there some way to save the mobo or is it just junk now?
Its a msi k9vgm-v

/Mikael

From what I know, if the motherboard has a backup bios (sometimes
called "dual bios"), you might be able to save the motherboard by
booting to the backup. If not, the manufacturer might be able to
re-flash the chip, but you would have to send them the motherboard.

Sorry I can't help you more, but I wish you good luck recovering it!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:34 PM
NoOp

On 08/16/2008 03:08 PM, Mikael Backman wrote:
> Hi,
> I flashed the bios of one of my cumputers.. It failed.. Now it wont
> boot.... Is there some way to save the mobo or is it just junk now?
> Its a msi k9vgm-v
>
> /Mikael

I think I'd start here:
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=service
<http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no =1&prod_no=260>

Old 08-16-2008, 11:41 PM
Frans

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 00:08:50 +0200, Mikael Backman wrote:

> Hi,
> I flashed the bios of one of my cumputers.. It failed.. Now it wont
> boot.... Is there some way to save the mobo or is it just junk now?
> Its a msi k9vgm-v
>
> /Mikael

http://www.msicomputer.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp#1_2 might help. Or try
their online support: http://www.msicomputer.com/support/OnlineTS.asp

Good luck!

-Frans

Old 08-16-2008, 11:58 PM
Mikael Backman

On lör, 2008-08-16 at 23:41 +0000, Frans wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 00:08:50 +0200, Mikael Backman wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I flashed the bios of one of my cumputers.. It failed.. Now it wont
> > boot.... Is there some way to save the mobo or is it just junk now?
> > Its a msi k9vgm-v
> >
> > /Mikael
>
> http://www.msicomputer.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp#1_2 might help. Or try
> their online support: http://www.msicomputer.com/support/OnlineTS.asp
>
> Good luck!
>
> -Frans

Thanx NOop and Frans for your help... There actually where a solution
on one of your links

Old 08-17-2008, 12:41 AM
James Takac

Hi Michael

On Sunday 17 August 2008 08:08:50 Mikael Backman wrote:
> Hi,
> I flashed the bios of one of my cumputers.. It failed.. Now it wont
> boot.... Is there some way to save the mobo or is it just junk now?
> Its a msi k9vgm-v
>
> /Mikael

You might be able to contact to manufacturer of the mobo and get a new bios
chip or if know someone with the same mobo could conceivably use their chip
to boot then put yours back and reflash. If none of that is available then
you may well need a new mobo. or if someone else's same mobo has died and you
can get a hold of it you may have a working bios chip in it?

James

Old 08-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Graham Watkins

James Takac wrote:
> Hi Michael
>
> On Sunday 17 August 2008 08:08:50 Mikael Backman wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I flashed the bios of one of my cumputers.. It failed.. Now it wont
>> boot.... Is there some way to save the mobo or is it just junk now?
>> Its a msi k9vgm-v
>>
>> /Mikael
>>

> You might be able to contact to manufacturer of the mobo and get a new bios
> chip or if know someone with the same mobo could conceivably use their chip
> to boot then put yours back and reflash. If none of that is available then
> you may well need a new mobo. or if someone else's same mobo has died and you
> can get a hold of it you may have a working bios chip in it?
>
> James

The following info may be useful. I once messed up my bios when trying
to install a graphics card. I was advised to locate a jumper on the
board, remove it for a few seconds and then replace it. This had the
effect of restoring my bios to factory settings and permitted me to
recover the system. Check out your motherboard's manual to find out if
and where such a jumper exists. I don't know if it will work for a
failed flash upgrade but it must be worth a try.

--
Graham Watkins

"To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows
box, you just need to work on it."
SecurityFocus columnist Scott Granneman.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 AM
"Steve!"

Most BIOS have a recovery feature that will look for a file with an image
from a floppy disc on boot. Usually during this time, there will be no image
on the screen, and nothing to tell you it is going, so best to leave it for
a while. Mail me more info, or use google, the info IS out there, and DOES
work Some boards will even look for an image from USB pendrive these days
too.

It also depends on which area of the BIOS was flashed. All is not lost
though, you have a good chance of bringing the board back to life without
messing changing BIOS chips etc

Have you tried physically removing power from the board and then reset CMOS
via jumpers? I had a difficult time a few years ago, where a BIOS supposedly
was successful but would not boot until the above 2 procedures took place.

Without more info on the motherboard, it is difficult to give more advice.

Steve!

Old 08-21-2008, 10:48 AM
"Steve!"

I really should have read the line that told me what board it was!

http://www.biosman.com/biosrecovery.html

Hopefully some info there that will help you. Your BIOS will look for a
.bin/.img file on it's own though, so if the above link doesn't help, you
need to know what the name of the file is that it looks for and rename the
file on floppy to that.

Steve!

Old 08-21-2008, 06:39 PM
"Michael "TheZorch" Haney"

Graham Watkins wrote:
> The following info may be useful. I once messed up my bios when trying
> to install a graphics card. I was advised to locate a jumper on the
> board, remove it for a few seconds and then replace it. This had the
> effect of restoring my bios to factory settings and permitted me to
> recover the system. Check out your motherboard's manual to find out if
> and where such a jumper exists. I don't know if it will work for a
> failed flash upgrade but it must be worth a try.
No, it won't. Take it from a guy who's A+ Certified, that only works to
clear out BIOS settings in CMOS memory, but not the actually BIOS
itself. A failed flash of the BIOS will brick just about anything and
many times the manufacturer can't fix it unless the BIOS chip itself is
replaceable.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com