Old 08-16-2008, 07:58 PM
"David McNally"

Default File permissions problem

Hello everybody!

I'm trying to be able to access and edit files that aren't in my home folder, but the computer says that I don't have permission to access the files.

I'm the only person that has ever used this computer.

Thanks,
David

Old 08-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Jim Smith

David McNally wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> I'm trying to be able to access and edit files that aren't in my home
> folder, but the computer says that I don't have permission to access
> the files.
>
> I'm the only person that has ever used this computer.
>
> Thanks,
> David
You need to be in superuser mode, thus:
gksu gedit /(path)/(filename) should work for you. Most files not owned
by you are owned by root and must be edited in superuser mode.

Jim

--
Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............

Old 08-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Ansgar Burchardt

Hi,

"David McNally" <david3333333@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm trying to be able to access and edit files that aren't in my home folder,
> but the computer says that I don't have permission to access the files.
>
> I'm the only person that has ever used this computer.

Files not in /home usually belong to root (the administration account),
some belong to other system accounts. On Ubuntu you can not directly
log in as root, but you can use sudo to access the root account.
See [1] for an explanation how to do this.

Regards,
Ansgar

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

--
PGP: 1024D/595FAD19 739E 2D09 0969 BEA9 9797 B055 DDB0 2FF7 595F AD19