Old 08-16-2008, 07:38 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default How to start Sword?

I have installed Sword via Syntaptic, but what is the command to start
it? Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 08-16-2008, 08:21 PM
NoOp

On 08/16/2008 12:38 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I have installed Sword via Syntaptic, but what is the command to start
> it? Thanks.

Try installing a frontend such as 'gnomesword'
(http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/gnomesword), or 'kio-sword' or
'bibletime' for kde & then add whatever other sword related modules you
wish.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/bibletime
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/kio-sword

Old 08-16-2008, 09:02 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/8/16 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
> On 08/16/2008 12:38 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> I have installed Sword via Syntaptic, but what is the command to start
>> it? Thanks.
>>

> Try installing a frontend such as 'gnomesword'
> (http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/gnomesword), or 'kio-sword' or
> 'bibletime' for kde & then add whatever other sword related modules you
> wish.
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/bibletime
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/kio-sword

Thank you NoOp! Bibletime works very nicely in KDE, though it does
have a Hebrew font problem that I will have to diagnose. Take care and
thanks for the suggestion!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 08-16-2008, 09:44 PM
NoOp

On 08/16/2008 02:02 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/8/16 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
>> On 08/16/2008 12:38 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> I have installed Sword via Syntaptic, but what is the command to start
>>> it? Thanks.
>>>

>> Try installing a frontend such as 'gnomesword'
>> (http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/gnomesword), or 'kio-sword' or
>> 'bibletime' for kde & then add whatever other sword related modules you
>> wish.
>>
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/bibletime
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/kio-sword
>>

> Thank you NoOp! Bibletime works very nicely in KDE, though it does
> have a Hebrew font problem that I will have to diagnose. Take care and
> thanks for the suggestion!

Try gnomesword

sudo apt-get install gnomesword

works well in kde as well. I did find that if you click on an empty Book
View it crashes with a segmentation fault (both in Gnome and KDE), but
it does render Arabic quite nicely, so it probably will do Hebrew as well.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:21 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/8/17 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
> Try gnomesword
>
> sudo apt-get install gnomesword
>
> works well in kde as well. I did find that if you click on an empty Book
> View it crashes with a segmentation fault (both in Gnome and KDE), but
> it does render Arabic quite nicely, so it probably will do Hebrew as well.

Gnomesword does render the Hebrew nicely, but I cannot find an option
to list the names of the books in Hebrew. I suppose that I would have
to install Gnome and set my UI as Hebrew to have Gnomesword render the
book names in Hebrew.

As you mention Arabic, maybe you would know if a Koran is available
for Sword? I looked on this page:
http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModDisp.jsp?modType=Bibles
But they only seem to have Tanack and New Testaments.

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 08-16-2008, 10:45 PM
NoOp

On 08/16/2008 03:21 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/8/17 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
>> Try gnomesword
>>
>> sudo apt-get install gnomesword
>>
>> works well in kde as well. I did find that if you click on an empty Book
>> View it crashes with a segmentation fault (both in Gnome and KDE), but
>> it does render Arabic quite nicely, so it probably will do Hebrew as well.
>>

> Gnomesword does render the Hebrew nicely, but I cannot find an option
> to list the names of the books in Hebrew. I suppose that I would have
> to install Gnome and set my UI as Hebrew to have Gnomesword render the
> book names in Hebrew.
>
> As you mention Arabic, maybe you would know if a Koran is available
> for Sword? I looked on this page:
> http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModDisp.jsp?modType=Bibles
> But they only seem to have Tanack and New Testaments.
>
> Thanks!

No idea - I just loaded it to help answer your question :-)

Try here:
http://www.crosswire.org/sword/index.jsp
which is the main Sword project page.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:51 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/8/17 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
> No idea - I just loaded it to help answer your question :-)

Alright, then, thanks for the effort!

> Try here:
> http://www.crosswire.org/sword/index.jsp
> which is the main Sword project page.

Actually, I did start there! When I get to the point that I need a
Koran then I will ask on the Sword mailing lists. Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 08-16-2008, 10:57 PM
NoOp

On 08/16/2008 03:51 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/8/17 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
>> No idea - I just loaded it to help answer your question :-)
>
> Alright, then, thanks for the effort!
>
>> Try here:
>> http://www.crosswire.org/sword/index.jsp
>> which is the main Sword project page.
>>

> Actually, I did start there! When I get to the point that I need a
> Koran then I will ask on the Sword mailing lists. Thanks!

http://zekr.org/quran/quran-for-linux
zekr is in the repos.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:37 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/8/17 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
> http://zekr.org/quran/quran-for-linux
> zekr is in the repos.

Thank you, that is a nice app. I did not think to look for a separate
application for the Kuran.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 08-19-2008, 05:36 AM
Pastor JW

On Saturday 16 August 2008 03:45:25 pm NoOp wrote:
> Try here:
> http://www.crosswire.org/sword/index.jsp
> which is the main Sword project page.

Actually guys, what you need is:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/txwikinger/ubuntu hardy main
enabled in your third party repositories and it installes very nicely! They
fixed a couple problems for me when 8.04 came out. Then just install
BibleTime and it will bring along all it needs.
--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org