Old 08-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Derek Broughton

Default OT: validating DNS

Karl Larsen wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Can anybody recommend _free_ tools for validating my DNS?
>>
>> While checking that my ISP had finally (much too late, imo) applied the
>> patches for the DNS vulnerability Dan Kaminsky found (and if you run a
>> business, or are just reasonably paranoid, and don't know what I'm
>> talking about, run to http://www.doxpara.com), I ended up at
>> dnsstuff.com, which
>> reports "critical" errors for my domain. I have my doubts - though I
>> confess there are some oddities - but I'll be damned if I'm giving them a
>> credit card number to see their report.
>>
>> Nothing else I've checked sees errors at all, let alone critical ones.
>>
> I am not at all sure I know what you want. Do you have a DNS name
> you want checked? I will be glad to ping it and see if it is alive. If
> you have a computer set up as a DNS Server that is different.

No, I have a domain, pointerstop.ca, that works just fine. The MX points to
google hosted mail, and the A records point to an unrelated hosting
provider, so it's a little odd. But really, I'm just wondering what
conceivable errors DNSStuff thinks they've found. I don't actually think
there are any, and don't plan to give them a credit card number to find
that I'm right.
--
derek

Old 08-16-2008, 07:45 PM
NoOp

On 08/16/2008 12:21 PM, NoOp wrote:

> Something like this?
>
> http://www.nabber.org/projects/dnscheck/?domain=pointerstop.ca

Here's another:
http://dnscheck.iis.se/
http://dnscheck.iis.se/?time=1218915731&id=7065&view=advanced

Old 08-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Derek Broughton

NoOp wrote:

> On 08/16/2008 11:16 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Can anybody recommend _free_ tools for validating my DNS?
>>
>> While checking that my ISP had finally (much too late, imo) applied the
>> patches for the DNS vulnerability Dan Kaminsky found (and if you run a
>> business, or are just reasonably paranoid, and don't know what I'm
>> talking about, run to http://www.doxpara.com), I ended up at
>> dnsstuff.com, which
>> reports "critical" errors for my domain. I have my doubts - though I
>> confess there are some oddities - but I'll be damned if I'm giving them a
>> credit card number to see their report.
>>
>> Nothing else I've checked sees errors at all, let alone critical ones.
>
> Something like this?
>
> http://www.nabber.org/projects/dnscheck/?domain=pointerstop.ca

Thanks very much. That's exactly what I wanted.
--
derek