Old 08-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Derek Broughton

Default OT: validating DNS

Can anybody recommend _free_ tools for validating my DNS?

While checking that my ISP had finally (much too late, imo) applied the
patches for the DNS vulnerability Dan Kaminsky found (and if you run a
business, or are just reasonably paranoid, and don't know what I'm talking
about, run to http://www.doxpara.com), I ended up at dnsstuff.com, which
reports "critical" errors for my domain. I have my doubts - though I
confess there are some oddities - but I'll be damned if I'm giving them a
credit card number to see their report.

Nothing else I've checked sees errors at all, let alone critical ones.
--
derek

Old 08-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Karl Larsen

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Can anybody recommend _free_ tools for validating my DNS?
>
> While checking that my ISP had finally (much too late, imo) applied the
> patches for the DNS vulnerability Dan Kaminsky found (and if you run a
> business, or are just reasonably paranoid, and don't know what I'm talking
> about, run to http://www.doxpara.com), I ended up at dnsstuff.com, which
> reports "critical" errors for my domain. I have my doubts - though I
> confess there are some oddities - but I'll be damned if I'm giving them a
> credit card number to see their report.
>
> Nothing else I've checked sees errors at all, let alone critical ones.

I am not at all sure I know what you want. Do you have a DNS name
you want checked? I will be glad to ping it and see if it is alive. If
you have a computer set up as a DNS Server that is different.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-16-2008, 07:21 PM
NoOp

On 08/16/2008 11:16 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Can anybody recommend _free_ tools for validating my DNS?
>
> While checking that my ISP had finally (much too late, imo) applied the
> patches for the DNS vulnerability Dan Kaminsky found (and if you run a
> business, or are just reasonably paranoid, and don't know what I'm talking
> about, run to http://www.doxpara.com), I ended up at dnsstuff.com, which
> reports "critical" errors for my domain. I have my doubts - though I
> confess there are some oddities - but I'll be damned if I'm giving them a
> credit card number to see their report.
>
> Nothing else I've checked sees errors at all, let alone critical ones.

Something like this?

http://www.nabber.org/projects/dnscheck/?domain=pointerstop.ca