Old 08-16-2008, 01:38 AM
"Michael Haney"

Default screen resolution “Not Optimum Mode”

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 8:01 PM, Linda Vest Castanos
<dcastanos@snowcrest.net> wrote:
> When I boot up and shut down Ubuntu (8.04 Hardy Heron), I get the
> following message like a floating screen saver. How do I get rid of it.
>
> "Not Optimum Mode"
>
> Recommended Mode
>
> 1280 X 1024 60 HZ"

I've never heard of this before. Are you certain its not a status
display from your monitor? If you are using a flat panel its possible
that the video mode Ubuntu switches into for the boot and shutdown
splash screens are in a range it doesn't like. I can't be certain but
that's my best guess. It would also help if we knew what kind of
video card you have and if the drivers for said video card were
installed in Ubuntu. I'm still just learning but I've been fighting a
video problem myself for a long time with Nvidia drivers locking my
resolution to 640x480. Its a problem I fixed by going to Kubuntu
which allows me to select what monitor I have manually. Ubuntu with
Gnome used to be able to do this in 7.10 but it was broken in 8.04,
and I don't have an ordinary monitor either. Its a Sun workstation
monitor that's VGA compatible.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 08-16-2008, 01:53 AM
William Witt

On Friday 15 August 2008 20:01:25 Linda Vest Castanos wrote:
> When I boot up and shut down Ubuntu (8.04 Hardy Heron), I get the
> following message like a floating screen saver. How do I get rid of it.
>
> “Not Optimum Mode”
>
> Recommended Mode
>
> 1280 X 1024 60 HZ”
>

> XP resolution is 1024 X 728 which I'm happy with.
> (System-Preference-Screen Resolution) under Ubuntu reads “1280 X
1024 .
> When I switch XP to “1280 X 1024 60 HZ”, it's to small. I would be
happy
> to get rid of the so call 'screen saver' “Not Optimum Mode” and be
done
> with it.
>

> Any suggestions?
>

> Linda

This is a function of your monitor. I would suggest looking through your
monitor's menus to see if you can find a setting to turn it off.

Will

Old 08-16-2008, 02:18 AM
"Victor Padro"

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 8:53 PM, William Witt <william@witt-family.net> wrote:

On Friday 15 August 2008 20:01:25 Linda Vest Castanos wrote:

> When I boot up and shut down Ubuntu (8.04 Hardy Heron), I get the

> following message like a floating screen saver. How do I get rid of it.

> "Not Optimum Mode"

> Recommended Mode

> 1280 X 1024 60 HZ"

> XP resolution is 1024 X 728 which I'm happy with.

> (System-Preference-Screen Resolution) under Ubuntu reads "1280 X

1024 .

> When I switch XP to "1280 X 1024 60 HZ", it's to small. I would be

happy

> to get rid of the so call 'screen saver' "Not Optimum Mode" and be

done

> with it.

> Any suggestions?

> Linda

This is a function of your monitor. *I would suggest looking through your

monitor's menus to see if you can find a setting to turn it off.

Will

May I ask which resolutions are supported in your monitor?

Because it happens the same with my SyncMaster T220 WS when I use a non-supported resolution such as 1600x1200 but if just set my resolution to 1680x1050 it works and the floating windows goes away, I suggest changing your resolution to 1024x768 as your M$ OS works.

Cheers,

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 08-16-2008, 04:48 AM
William Witt

On Saturday 16 August 2008 00:06:00 Linda Vest Castanos wrote:
> I didn't see anything to turn off. It didn't do it with 7.04
>
> On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 21:18 -0500, Victor Padro wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 8:53 PM, William Witt
> > <william@witt-family.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Friday 15 August 2008 20:01:25 Linda Vest Castanos wrote:
> > > When I boot up and shut down Ubuntu (8.04 Hardy Heron), I
> >
> > get the
> >
> > > following message like a floating screen saver. How do I get
> >
> > rid of it.
> >
> > > "Not Optimum Mode"
> > >
> > > Recommended Mode
> > >
> > > 1280 X 1024 60 HZ"
> > >

> > > XP resolution is 1024 X 728 which I'm happy with.
> > > (System-Preference-Screen Resolution) under Ubuntu reads
> >
> > "1280 X
> > 1024 .
> >
> > > When I switch XP to "1280 X 1024 60 HZ", it's to small. I
> >
> > would be
> > happy
> >
> > > to get rid of the so call 'screen saver' "Not Optimum Mode"
> >
> > and be
> > done
> >
> > > with it.
> > >

> > > Any suggestions?
> > >

> > > Linda

This is happening only during the ubuntu splash screens at boot and shutdown,
but not during normal operation, correct? I found this just a while ago while
searching for a problem I'm having on the development branch.

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/5477/

Quote:
usplash should get an gui for setting up resulution, the method that we use at
the moment is not for new users,
to get the right resolution we often have to do something like this : sudo
gedit /etc/usplash.conf
see the resolutions and fill in the ones you want ,

this is how it looks

# Usplash configuration file
xres=1024
yres=768

then save the new file and run

sudo update-initramfs -u

wait untill its done ( takes a while ) then after that reboot
Of course before you try it, you should backup /etc/usplash.conf and replace
the resolution in the file with the optimum ones for your monitor.

Will

Old 08-16-2008, 11:35 AM
"Johnny Rosenberg"

When I boot up and shut down Ubuntu (8.04 Hardy Heron), I get the

following message like a floating screen saver. How do I get rid of it.

"Not Optimum Mode"

Recommended Mode

1280 X 1024 60 HZ"

XP resolution is 1024 X 728 which I'm happy with.

(System-Preference-Screen Resolution) under Ubuntu reads "1280 X 1024 .

When I switch XP to "1280 X 1024 60 HZ", it's to small.The higher resolution, the smaller things tend to be, since the distance between pixels decreases to make room for all the pixels on the screen. This is a good thing, making it possible to see more details. If things are too small, such as Icons and windows, just make them bigger. IN Ubuntu you can set the size of every icon on your desktop individually if you like. IN Nautilus (the file browser) you can set the icon size in settings by adjusting the default zoom for the different views. Even if you think things are too small on the screen (maybe you should buy a bigger screen, by the way ☺), you will*probably appreciate it when viewing big pictures etc, not needing to scroll as much.
Of course it's your decision, but as I said, if things are too small, just make them bigger. I think most things can be adjusted for size, such as icons, windows, fonts etc.
On the other hand, selecting a lower resolution might give you better performance (faster), but I am not sure this always will happen.*